Canada Serving Canada.

Capital & Country Cruise

Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Capital & Country Cruise

Originally Posted by turbomar
Back on topic, Will you and Lynda be joining us on this cruise?
I don't think we will be able to this year, we are booked up every weekend in Aug and running out of time!

If your out this way don't forget to call!

V2

Old 06-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Forum Regular

Update -

Bonus!!!! Friday night – for those arriving Friday a little early, and who would like to see some of our tax dollars at work, we can take in MOSAIK on Parliament Hill. Check out Mosaika Sue & I have never been to this, but we’ve wanted to go for some time, so this is our chance too. The show is free – bring a folding chair – but underground parking will cost $6.00/car. Show starts at 9:30 p.m. We’ll want to be on our way by 8:30 p.m.
For the cruise itself, we’ll be touring the Capital and Country, but we’re going to see a lot of the Rideau Canal. If you aren’t aware of the canal, here’s some info – Parks Canada - Rideau Canal National Historic Site - The History of the Rideau Canal Do you have 2 way radios? If so, they’ll come in handy to keep everyone together. Bring ‘em if ya got ‘em!
Saturday Capital Cruise – 9:00 a.m. – meet at Tim Horton’s, 2162 Prince of Wales Dr. We’ll take the scenic route along the Rideau Canal to Parliament Hill, to the Ottawa River Parkway and crossing over to Gatineau, Quebec. A little jaunt through Gatineau Park (watch out for the suicidal people on their bicycles), and then a stop at Kingsmere. If you don’t know about Kingsmere, it’s now a park in the Gatineau, but it was once the home of our beloved Prime Minister Mackenzie King. What a flake he turned out to be! Séances with his dead mother and wartime advice from his dog! Today we’d lock someone like this up – back then we elected them. This eccentric screwball did have a unique collection, though. He collected the fronts of buildings and reconstructed them in his back yard for all to see - Parking is $8.00/car.
MACKENZIE KING ESTATE (GATINEAU PARK) | Outaouais Heritage WebMagazine
After lunch at a charming little Old Chelsea Bistro we’ll whistle back to Ottawa where we’ll cruise past the current Prime Minister’s residence, the Governor General’s residence, through Rockliffe Park, and back into town to head down the other side of the canal. We’ll cut across the bottom of town and head for the village of Carp, where we’ll tour a unique relic of the Cold War. Named after the Prime Minister in charge of this monumental fiasco, John Diefenbaker, the Diefenbunker is an underground refuge designed for the survival of our government leaders in the event of nuclear war. I don’t know who they expected to lead after the annihilation of humankind, or how long they expected their little civilization to survive without, ahem, “female companions”, but fortunately we never found out. They built this bomb shelter and now it’s a museum. Diefenbunker - Home. We get the group rates of $12.50/person, unless you’re seniors like me & can save a buck - $11.50. From here we’ll head on to the Rare restaurant Welcome to RARE Restaurant & Bar in Kanata - RARE Restaurant & Bar for a great dinner and some terrific entertainment from Jeff Rogers Jeff Rogers - GIGS. I helped coach Jeff in minor hockey a number of years ago. If his vocational choice was between professional hockey and music, then he made the right one.
Sunday - The Country Cruise. We’ll meet again at 9:30 a.m. at Baker’s Bean, 6051 Perth St. Richmond for the best breakfast sandwiches and coffee this side of Stittsville. After breakfast we’ll meander cross country through Perth and south to the picturesque little village of Westport – on Big Rideau Lake - where we’ll stop for a little shopping in a very unique little country store. The back roads from here are some of my favourites in the region. We’ll cut over to Chaffey’s Lock Westport and Rideau Lakes Chamber of Commerce,Westport, Portland, Newboro, Chaffey's Lock, Delta, Forfar,Ontario and loop back up around to Newboro for some lunch and another unique little country store. Back roads again to the picturesque little village of Merrickville – again on the Rideau System. Notice a recurring them here? Merrickville-Wolford Jewel of the Rideau Merrickville is a whole village dedicated to the local artisan community with lots of interesting little shops to browse around in. Then back to Richmond where we’ll wind this little cruise up with a relaxing barbecue – chicken wings, sausage dogs, salad. You don’t need to bring an appetite – you’ll have one. You will need lawn chairs and your favourite beverage.
Are you in? I need confirmations for the Rare Restaurant and the Diefenbunker by mid July.
Here’s who we have so far:
John & Suzanne McGavin
Ron & Jenny Singer
Mario & Larissa
Lorne & Elaine Elliott
Jerry & Gwen Schoenfeld
Tony G & Gaia
Jeff & Nadi Ellingwood – Sat. dinner & Sunday only
Chris Riding (Buck Spunni) & Julie - tentative for Sunday only
Laura MacLennan -
tentative
Angelo & Linda – tentative
Anyone else?

Last edited by Ottawa John; 07-01-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I need confirmations for the Rare Restaurant and the Diefenbunker by mid July.
We are in for both!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

John. Lorne&Elaine are in. for dinners and the Diefenbunker We may not make the Friday nite party May not be in in time??. Lorne.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larisa and I are in. However, I will be by myself for the light show since Larisa is working till 9pm that evening. I have 2 twoway radios. Looking forward to this cruise!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:02 PM

John, Jenny and I are in for both. Hope to be there Friday night but it looks like a 10 or 11 hour trip.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Tony, Ron, Lorne, Mario, & Chris. Tell you what for Friday night - I threw this at everyone at the last minute without expectations one way or the other, and I know that some people are coming in from quite a drive. My cell phone is 613-914-8770 and home is 613-838-8770. If you make it early enough & aren't too tired to go, give me a call & we'll arrange to meet & go to the light show.

Last edited by Ottawa John; 07-13-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Forum Regular

Bump for updates.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
Bump for updates.
Hi John...we are still in and very much looking forward to the long weekend. In fact Gaia just asked me the other day when confirming the dates....rain or shine we are coming!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I get keys to a house on Aug 2nd so I can't attend.
I will need to travel East one of these days and meet the crew. I have been slacking on attending S.O.C.O meets and every crossfire event recently

Old 07-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Banned

I get keys to a house on Aug 2nd so I can't attend.
Congratulations!

I will need to travel East one of these days and meet the crew. I have been slacking on attending S.O.C.O meets and every crossfire event recently
That's OK Bryan...life just gets in the way sometimes....but we still know where to find you!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular

Code:
...rain or shine we are coming! :p
Tony -
What is this "rain" of which you speak?

Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Smile Re: Capital & Country Cruise

August 3rd, 2013

Hi John,

Hope the day is going well for you on the 1st leg of your cruise!!!

Weather permitting... Sandra & I might be able to catch-up with you on Sunday. Can you tell us what time (approx) you're scheduled to arrive in Perth?

I think it's about a 2 hr - 2.5 hr. journey from our place, so if we knew when you anticipate arriving there, we might be able to hook up with you.

Cheers,

Glenn & Sandra

Old 08-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Forum Regular

Your best bet will be to meet us in Westport... between 11 1130

Give me a call when you're approaching Westport and we can tell you where to find us!

Last edited by Ottawa John; 08-04-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Forum Regular

The end of another cruise. I hope that everyone had as much fun as Suzanne and I did. I really appreciate the effort that everyone made to get here and participate in this little adventure.
My neighbour took this picture - 2 in the driveway and 3 on the street. Mine's in the garage and Laura's is missing from the photo. Seven for this cruise was great - even in the downtown area! Thanks again everyone for coming and bringing the "goodies" to the barbecue.

Attached Thumbnails Capital & Country Cruise-capital-country-cruise.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks John and Sue for making this cruise possible. You guys are the best!

These cruises are so much fun. Looking forward to seeing you all next year.

Attached Thumbnails Capital & Country Cruise-100_1191.jpg   Capital & Country Cruise-100_1206.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular

It was our pleasure, Mario. And I hope that we see you again before next year! We're looking forward to your plans for Orchard Beach.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:29 AM

What a great weekend. Thank you John. Jenny and I made it home without incident. We put 1,361 miles on during our cruise. Looking forward to next year. Ron

Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thankyou every one for the making of a great WKND. We sure did enjoy and the meeting of new friends was a bonus. Thank you to John&Sue for hosting and the BBQ was great. We hope we are able to attend another one in the future. Lorne&Elaine

Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by lorne
Thankyou every one for the making of a great WKND. We sure did enjoy and the meeting of new friends was a bonus. Thank you to John&Sue for hosting and the BBQ was great. We hope we are able to attend another one in the future. Lorne&Elaine
Just noticed : you are 80 !!!!!!
Does that mean I can look forward to at least another 11 years of driving my roadster ?
Life's sweet !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Capital & Country Cruise