Canada Serving Canada.

I am Canadian! Heh

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I am Canadian! 'eh

Welcome to the Canadian section of this forum. Welcome to Port Perry, Ontario

Do you feel like you own the only Crossfire north of the big border? If so, welcome to the club. I have owned my Xfire since April/04 and I have literally seen two other Xfires on the road in the past 6months. 1 Blond passed me at the car wash and stopped rolled down her window and said "nice car". I have been looking for her white beauty ever siince. The second Xfire was a Aero Blue Roadster in an Ajax plaza. Unfortunately, it was going the other way and I didn't get a good look for long.

As you might have seen on the forum, I am from Port Perry, Ontario, have a Silver Saphire Blue, 6 speed, two tone grey interior and have completed a full dual exhaust conversion underneath. I am somewhat of a purist now (been the custom route and done that) but I yearned for a more aggressive sportscar sound and the engine needed to breath better.
Not sorry I did it! Some might look at the exhaust tips and frown on that but I have to say that after agonizing over "should I cut the original tips off or preserve the original pipe/muffler/tips?" , do I want to make a visual statement along with the more aggressive sound; I decided that the round tips is way to go. I love the round look.
I must admit I have been influenced by the late sixties Indy Ford Cosworth engines where two round pipes came off the back of the engine and they just growled as they passed down the Indy front-straight. Those were the days and some memories last forever.

I also own an 88 Corvette that is completely original, right down to the original tires. When I bought the Xfire, I have to admit it was a toss-up between another Corvette (C6) but I really couldn't justify the added $20-30,000. (at the time speculation was that C6 was going to be $80,000+, however that didn't quite materialize. I am not sorry I bought the Xfire, in fact I like to think that I could go to my next Corvette club meeting and make a good case to the members for their future vehicle purchase but I wouldn't dare do that.

I also agonized over trading in my 2001 PT Cruiser for the Xfire or selling it curbside but the way prices have gone on the PT, (especially being a 5spd manual) I would feel like I was giving it away. I have owned it since new, rare Aqua-marine, fully loaded Limited, 66,000km on it and is like new. I decided to keep it for my winter driving. It will likely stay in original condition, however I have modified the air intake for better breathing. Maybe at some appropriate time, it will need dual exhaust as well.

Well that's part of me and I would like to hear from part of you.

I am Canadian and proud of it!!

Attached Thumbnails I am Canadian!  Heh-welcomewish.jpg   I am Canadian!  Heh-viewlakescugog.jpg   I am Canadian!  Heh-finishedlook.jpg.jpg  

Last edited by mightyjlr; 10-26-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:30 PM
CrossfireForum.org Founder
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: I am Canadian! Heh

Didn't you mean, "I am Canadian! eh"

Old 10-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Thumbs up Re: I am Canadian! 'eh

your right, my ' became a h

I guess I'm use to talkin to my wife "heh you".

just kiddin.

Can we correct the title on the main post? this is embarrassing.

Last edited by mbepic; 10-26-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:52 PM

I am glad to see that there is another Canadian out there with a Crossfire! I just got my SSB 6spd with dark grey interior a little over a month ago and absolutely love it. I am confused as to why they are not selling well here. I am in the Greater Toronto Area.

Regards,
Dany

Old 10-28-2004, 06:04 PM

Yea, it would be interesting to see the numbers in Canada compared to other countries. They don't appear to be selling well based on what you see on the road.
What dealership did you buy your Xfire from? Did you get an 'o4? If not, did you get a coupe or convertible?
Glad to hear from you.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:57 AM

I got it from Islington Chrysler. They were giving some amazing cash rebates on the 2004 so that is what I opted for. I had to wait over a month for delivery from Chrysler's "bank" (depot) in Halifax. They told me I would receive it in 9-14 days. That was my only problem with the purchase.

I also got the extended warranty 7yrs/160,000kms thrown in for $1900 CDN. I thought that was a good price for peace of mind.

I know you have a winter car so I don't suppose you are considering getting winter tires... are there any other Canadians out there that have experienced the Ontario winter season with the all-season Conti's on this car?

Regards,
Dany

Old 10-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Thumbs up Re: I am Canadian! Heh

Based on your response, I'm guessing that you wanted the SSB and 6speed so they went to the vehicle bank. I didn't know about the bank and none of the dealers I talked to even mentioned that.

I got a good quote from Raceway Chrysler but they couldn't get me the car I wanted.
I went to Bob Bannerman and they had the car I wanted and went back to Raceway and they tried to make a dealer trade with Bannerman but Bannerman would not cut a deal for that car.
I went to Village Chrysler in Ajax and they tried to deal with Bannerman but couldn't cut a deal and then they found a car down Windsor way but they decided they couldn't match the quote I got from Raceway. They said it was below their cost.
I then went into Jim Davidson Chrysler in Scarborough, where I had originally test drove a Xfire and they matched the quote and ended up getting the same car from down Windsor way. Apparently, they purchased the car from that dealer and had it driven up to Scarborough. They were good to deal with.

I can't comment on the tires. They seem to be good in the rain but I have to tell you I don't take too many chances in the wet. I will likely be taking the car off the road this week-end. Got my sticker yesterday for the PT. Not looking forward to putting the Xfire away but I like driving the PT.

Talk at ya soon.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:29 PM

Hi fellow Canadians, I have had my black Crossfire for 2 weeks now, I thought I would join up in the forums.Vancouver BC

Old 11-04-2004, 03:30 PM

Welcome to the forum, Wired. What did you buy, 2004 or '05 Coupe? Auto?
Do you have any issues with the car at this point./ If you are like most of us, you will certainly enjoy the ride. Hope you don't have any problems like some.
Your lucky being in Vancouver; I would figure you can drive the Xfire all year round as long as you don't mind a little rain. Right?
I have put mine away for the winter already. Better to organize that on a nice clear, mild day like last week-end rather than wait until last minute and risk having a foot of snow.

I have 10,500kilometers on my '04 coupe, 6 speed and no problems at all at this point. When I start driving the car again in April, it will be a year old.

Talk to ya sometime soon. Unfortunately, your too far away to meet up with you other than this forum.

Old 11-04-2004, 05:50 PM

I bought a 04, auto, black Crossfire Coupe had 218 KMS on it had a good deal; I especially love the ride and the control it gives so way much better than my old 2001 Sebring Coupe.

Last edited by wired; 11-04-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:17 PM

Go Canada. W00t!

Tim

P.S. Sorry jsut had to say hello

Old 11-09-2004, 11:22 AM

Glad you found us Tim and Hello to a fellow Canuck.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:34 AM
Forum Regular

Well guys it looks like I got the Prairies covered! Winnipeg, in a 2004 6 speed coupe. Had the car now about 6 months and only a drivers door wind whistle to complain about. Wonderful fun car and to my great suprise, it is better in the snow than my Lexus LS400, go figure! It is front end heavy but you would never know. -20 at night and so far still fun to drive and I have an excuse to us the seat heaters. The only thing I miss is the remote starter. The all season tires are great. I heard that on the magazine tests the Xfire summer tires where a little too sticky for the lower horse power and they would bog unless you rev do 4,500 rpm. Try the all seasons, on a hot summer day, you can break them loose enough to get a good launch under 3,000 rpm . Anyways, I haven't seen that much snow yet to make me want to give up all the fun.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Thumbs up Re: I am Canadian! Heh

Glad we got the Prairies covered too!

Ya got your 6spd coupe about the same time of year as mine. I understand that there is a TSB on the windnoise problem and probably is related to door problem as well.

Where are you from out west and do you see many Xfires out there?

I've stored my car already for the winter; They use a lot of salt and sand here in Ontario and you know what that does to the car. I didn't think the low profile tires would handle that well in the snow so it was never intended as a winter driver. I do miss driving it though.

Glad you found us here and hope to hear back from you soon. Welcome

Old 12-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Forum Regular

mbepic: Only seen a couple of Xfires in Winnipeg so far but I know there is around 8 here at least. Still driven in the snow. I thought I would need a winter car for sure but I was thrilled with the way it goes on ice and snow so far. I can't get away with a beater as I am a Realtor & my clients would probably think I didn't know what I was doing. I have my wifes RX300 Lexus if I need a back up but I mostly stick with listings as I have good staff taking care of the Buyers. As far as the rust thing goes, I have it rust proofed from top to bottom before I picked it up. Guaranteed for life. Frame and body.
Thanks for the TSB tip, already called the Dealership and they are checking it out.
PS: If you get the rattle from the back when the spoiler is up or when you are on a dirt road, the dealer just needs to snug up the back hatch a little. Take care!

Old 12-07-2004, 08:53 AM

Bob,
I'm from Winnipeg area too and I'm looking at buying a 2004 Xfire this weekend. I will also need to drive it down a gravel road to get to my house. I guess you don't have problems with this so far?

I like your race car though I havn't seen it before. I haven't been at Gimli for a couple of years now, but I have a 69 Coronet that I race too. It's more of a street car but I have run a best of 12.1 @ 109mph with my 383ci engine. Real fun car to hammer on now and then.

Would like some input about any other problems you might have had with the car. I just took one for a test drive last night in the fresh snow and it does quite well but wouldn't you know it I was rear-ended about 5 minutes into the test drive. Luckily no damage.

kyle

Old 12-07-2004, 09:48 AM

Welcome to the forum Pipes.

Buying a 2004 Xfire would be an excellent choice. I'm sure you could get a great price on one now, especially a new one that's been around the lot for awhile.

I have a 2004 Coupe, 6speed and have been driving it since April (over 10,000 km on it now).
No problems at all. It is stored away for the winter now but looking forward til spring when I can bring it out and drive it again. If your going to drive yours in the snow, I would consider picking up a set of 17" wheels and set of snow tires. There is another post on this forum that says 17" wheels are available and fit well.

I don't think gravel roads are good for any car but you do what you have to do. Just drive easily and there should be no problems.

Good luck with your purchase, if that is what you decide to do and I hope you enjoy it.

Check out my "PIPES" on the gallery.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Forum Regular

Kyle: I may be able to help you as I know what they are selling for here in Winnipeg. I could probably tell you if you are getting a good deal or not. Call me at Goodfellow & Goodfellow Real Estate.
I love the car!

Old 01-23-2005, 02:11 PM

Hi Folks ,new here and wanted to say hi to all my fellow Canadians,just bought my 04 Coupe 6 speed and will pick it up Tuesday,great deal 14,000 dollars off,employee price you do the math too bad it will sit till may in my garage.this car will never see winter.Once again......Hello and all the best to you all.....Lukester

Old 01-23-2005, 03:28 PM

Hello Luke; glad you joined the ranks of fellow Canadian Xfire owners.

I believe I know where Kingsville area is; down near Windsor / Chatham way. My SSB '04 6 spd
came from a dealer down that way in Leamington, Ontario, last April. Hopefully that is where all the good, reliable Xfires ended up. So far so good with mine.

Best of luck on Tuesday and I am sure that you will enjoy driving the car once the good weather comes back to your area. Keep in touch.

Quick Reply: I am Canadian! Heh