Commercial Sponsor Classifieds In order to post in this forum you must be a Commercial Sponsor. If you are not a commercial sponsor you will need to buy a sponsorship to create new threads in this section.

Carbon Fiber Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Parts

First off, thanks to all of you who have bought accessory items from me. That said, I have been watching the requests for various body kit parts for years on this site. I have found a local mfg who can make various parts for us using the "wet" carbon fiber process. There is a fiberglass components wrapped in genuine CF, while not a light as "dry" carbon fiber, it is more durable (needing less maintenance) because true CF can break down due to exposure to the son, and is much more cost effective.

Each part will cost $1200 for them to make the mold and we would have to provide a physical sample to them. Initially there is a 50 unit order for custom front and rear lips and 20 units for hoods, doors etc.

The MSRP for these items run around $480 for the lips and $720 for the hood and side skirts. Group buys would get about a 25% discount (plus mold and proto costs spread amongst all).

I know what a mess was caused by the last side skirt fiasco and do not wish to repeat. But I would like to know if there is actually enough interest in doing this. This is something that will not happen overnight. If there is enough interest, any deposits would be put into an escrow account (other than the initial setup costs) so if something went wrong, you would get your money back.

Thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Carbon Fiber Parts

Interested in a carbon fiber hood, with something other than the stock design, with some kind of vents to release hot air

Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How about a simple reproduction of our OEM diffusers? I have no doubt in my mind that we could generate interest for fifty sets on here... seeing as the OEM diffusers are very popular and used by hundreds of members. These would be a cinch to model, and would be in an area where the added weight of wet CF would make a negligible difference.

Also, a very very close resemblance of this little gem...

Last edited by JHM2K; 01-18-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billvp
Interested in a carbon fiber hood, with something other than the stock design, with some kind of vents to release hot air
Hey,

Since Sept of last year I've been working on a vented weight reduction full carbon fiber hood design. The design process has been going very well. A well know aftermarket parts Design Company on the RX7 forum has been working with me on the design. The prototype should be shipped in by Feb 20th. The only issue we are facing is the hood latch due to how the hood design is raised in the middle not allowing the OEM latch to be reused. Once the design team figure a way to make a hood latch that has OEM functionality, we should be good to go. I paid $1400 Custom Carbon Fiber design + $200 shipping + packaging for the hood to be made. The company said they could sell copies of the hood for $700 if I purchased a Minimum Order Bulk Buy of 20 units, otherwise it would be a one time thing once I walk with my finished product.

Hopefully I can get one of the Saint Louis Guys to take it for a ride down the strip. I will also gather some weight analysis.

I would like feedback on my design once I get it on my car. I will take pics

Thanks,

MAD MED

Update............ The original price was based on the possibility of moving the OEM stock hood latch over to the aftermarket hood.... Now I'm being told that due to the small raise in the aftermarket hood cowl, price may change due to the latch design effort...

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 01-19-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X
Hey,

Since Sept of last year I've been working on a vented weight reduction carbon fiber hood design. The design process has been going very well. A well know aftermarket parts Design Company on the RX7 forum has been working with me on the design. The prototype should be shipped in by Feb 20th. The only issue we are facing is the hood latch due to how the hood design is raised in the middle not allowing the OEM latch to be reused. Once the design team figure a way to make a hood latch that has OEM functionality, we should be good to go. I paid $1400 Custom Carbon Fiber design + $200 shipping + packaging for the hood to be made. The company said they could sell copies of the hood for $700 if I purchased a Minimum Order Bulk Buy of 20 units, otherwise it would be a one time thing once I walk with my finished product.

Hopefully I can get one of the Saint Louis Guys to take it for a ride down the strip. I will also gather some weight analysis.

Thanks,

MAD MED

Update............ The original price was based on the possibility of moving the OEM stock hood latch over to the aftermarket hood.... Now I'm being told that due to the small raise in the aftermarket hood cowl, price may change due to the latch design effort...

cool, looking forward to pics

Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X
I am looking forward to seeing the design. There has been so much talk about CF hoods that have never materialized that there is no doubt you will get tons of feedback once you post pics. Thanks for taking this on with the opportunity to make this a reproducible part.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Forum Regular

I would be very interested in a carbon fiber hood.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GDrag
A vented CF hood. Any hints on how it is vented? Anything like the Jaguar vents?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Forum Regular

Sorry,

I did not know this was a vendor forum. I've been searching carbon fiber every day since I started this project, and this popped up, so I thought I would let the guys know I had one on the way. I can delete the post if needed.

Thanks,

Med

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 01-19-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Forum Regular

Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm done putting down deposites, but would participate in the GB. This is the order I would want:
side skirt
front lip
better spoiler
or brand new front bumper

Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
There is a fiberglass components wrapped in genuine CF, while not a light as "dry" carbon fiber, it is more durable (needing less maintenance) because true CF can break down due to exposure to the sun
The intimation here is the CF has inferior UV resistance to fiberglass composite.

Total, complete disagreement from me.

The fiber material has absolutely nothing to do with the UV resistance of the composite. The UV resistance has to do with the matrix material itself.

If you make two parts, one in CF and the other in Fiberglass - both in the same type of Matrix (Aeropoxy, for example) then both will have identical UV resistance.

Finally, due to the higher modulus of elasticity of Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass composites will experience fatigue cracking unless suitably reinforced (i.e. thicker, heavier, and better supported.)

Carbon Fiber is superior to Fiberglass, except in terms of cost. Only in terms of cost.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm still holding out for a true carbon hood. Mainly for the weight savings and I wouldn't mind cutting it for a scoop of some sort.
Can't bring myself to cut the stock hood.

For those looking for the appearance of a CF hood, here's your chance!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular

definitely interested to see what your proposed hood would look like SRT SIX

I'd also assume you'd get more traffic with a post in one of the main forums.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be interested in a CF hood, about the same cost as sanding out the rock chips and painting mine (the right way). Keep us posted

Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 PM

I am interested in a rear diffuser and a chin spoiler of some kind, side skirts I would have to think about. Any chance we could get a Crossfire Humidor made out of carbon fiber????? Just kidding..

Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GDrag
Ditto !!!!!!!!!! W/VENTS

Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Forum Regular

BUMP any news on this? I would be keen for CF Mirrors, side skirts and a CF Defuser. I have the Mopar defuser and always thought if that design or similar came in CF it would look fantastic. I like the SRT front bumper but how about CF front splitters?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks as though this has died as have all of the rest of the attemps at CF items for our cars.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Looks as though this has died as have all of the rest of the attemps at CF items for our cars.
I'll give SRT SIX the benefit of the doubt because of all of his previous successes.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Parts