Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.
View Poll Results: What would you change on the Crossfire?
More Horsepower
55.29%
Better Stereo
12.94%
Fit and Finish (Less plastic)
28.24%
Transmission
9.41%
Other
24.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

What would you change?

Old 04-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you change?

Okay, I know we have all had one complaint or another about the Crossfire. I am wondering what we would change about it if we could?

I would imagine that we all agree that the styling of the car is what makes it what it is, so changing it too much is right out. What would get changed then? This is what I would change:
  • Change out all the silver plastic bits for brushed aluminum.
  • Change the radio so that it has an ipod connection from the factory, perhaps as an option.
  • Give it another 100 hp – 150 hp. Perhaps make the SRT-6 engine the only engine.
  • Open the ECU source.
  • Loan/Give a few of these to the various aftermarket companies so that they can turn out parts and such to take it even farther.
  • Fund someone to take this thing on the track, HDDP comes to mind.
  • For the auto transmission, eliminate the lag time in the shifting.

That’s all I can think of right now. Am I off my rocker? Are any of those good ideas? What would you guys change?

Old 04-02-2006, 03:53 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What would you change?

Other - Gadgets, amenities, goodies, if you will...

- A chirping alarm confirmation.
- Automatic headlights.
- Variable intermittent windshield wipers.
- Heads-up instrumentation.
- A cargo cover that doesn't cost $250.
- A seat backrest quick-release.
- A decent cup-holder.
- Tilt steering wheel. (I remember how my father's '70 Mustang had a wheel that automatically swung inward, out of the way towards the dash and console when you opened the driver's door for greater ease of exit and re-entry. Wouldn't that be a nice feature for an XF).
- Radio controls on the steering wheel.
- Directional babe magnet.

Old 04-02-2006, 03:57 AM
Forum Regular

ok ok originally i didn't like the interior's quality... but now i can live with it i will customize my interior...

but my main issue are the doors. when the windows are down, and the doors close, T H E DOOR SOUNDS LIKE AN EMPTY TIN CAN! ITS scary...

i know that chrysler will take it back and tighten the doors inners but i fear i might be opening a can of worms where the dealer will investigate problems with the window wiring... window frame mechanism...

but this too... i will look into myself and fix...

j

yes, just the DOORS bother me.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Forum Regular

The only thing I'd change is the quality of the radio/speakers. That's it. I love it as is...but that's me. I don't need more power, I can live easily with the interior as well. Ahh, ain't love grand.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:47 PM

Get a spare tire in there some way...

Old 04-02-2006, 01:02 PM

Better sun visors would be nice, too.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:28 PM

Stereo stuff is obviously a personal preference - I think the factory setup is adequate for most. The big thing for me is the slow shifting auto and the 'way too high' rear gear. Given that the up/down triggers are electronic anyway why couldn't they at least have given it paddle shifters? How much more could it have cost? I think the slow response is a result of this being a suedo-luxury car trans stuffed into a sporty chassis, but you can't help but think that it would just take maybe a change in pressure somewhere or a reprogram to speed up the shift. In my biz I get to drive some exotics every now and again (360 modena, 996 tt, etc.) and paddle shift is sooo cool. The other problem I have voiced before is the rear gear ratio, simply said there ain't no reason to have top-end at 150 mph. Where ya gonna use it? No, for me, give me more torque multiplication in the lower speeds where I can use it.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well an aftermarket stereo is a cheap upgrade.
The factory one sounds good but lacks options.
I like the interior but a little pocket on the dr. seat for my cell phone would be nice.
Horsepower can not be had for an affordable cost so that is what I picked.
I don't really want a s/c but 260-270 hp out of the normally aspirated motor would be nice.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maxxm
Better sun visors would be nice, too.
oh yeah!!! i heard them new carz gotz those visorz that twists over to the windaz!!! to block da sun from da sidez!!! whadda they think of next??? ain't that sumptin!!! ...visorz that move to da side...hmmm that would be nice... especially when one is putting on 100 miles per day!!!

As far as the interior... I STILL HATE IT... HOWEVER i am not complaining from "my" price standpoint, its to be expected... but like i said earlier... its ok, it just validates my reasoning to look at it as a blank canvas... to go custom... yeah i want to be hugged not snugged when i am driving.
...to only race in this style cockpit is a different story... then there wouldn't be complaints...

but i HAVE to merge the best of the 2 worlds, especially when the wifey joins me for half those miles!

j

Old 04-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Forum Regular

Great point, Xfire1. Make those visors move to one side! ARRGGHH. I can't put my multiple CD holder there either. The holders come too wide to fit properly on those narrow visors.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Xfire1:

Thanks for the post. You know exactly what I would want for this car. Gimme the SRT6 engine, with a manual transmission and access to the computer systems.

Sadly enough I watched the SCCA Speed Touring Car race from St. Petersburg FL. today and among many other cars, they had 2 Dodge SRT4's competing. Not a single Crossfire.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by xfire1
oh yeah!!! i heard them new carz gotz those visorz that twists over to the windaz!!! to block da sun from da sidez!!! whadda they think of next??? ain't that sumptin!!! ...visorz that move to da side...hmmm that would be nice...
You bet. In Arizona, especially in the summer (which runs from April through October here), driving south in the early morning and north in the late afternoon with the low sun hot and glaring on your left side is not a pleasurable exercise. We're not rednecks--but some of us are left side redheads depending on where and when you have to drive on a regular basis. Sunglasses protect your eyes and look cool, but you know something's definitely wrong when they leave funny suntan lines on only one side of your face!

Old 04-02-2006, 09:01 PM

I think the premium sound stereo is pretty good for a stock set up. Much better then my 2 previous cars (g35, c230). Anyone really into sound wants their own set up anyway. The interior is not to bad in my opinion... so i would have to say power is what is lacking. 30+ HP and 30+ lbs of torque would be perfect. I wish this was obtainable with bolt on mods, but we really don't have any besides borla exhaust which is really just a slightly better muffler with same diameter piping. There has to be a way to convince a major manufacture of performance parts to do some RD on our cars.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:27 PM

Please give me the Recaro seats that were in my '93 VW Corrado...the current seats are unacceptable in a car in this price range. They are lower back killers. And, hey Chrysler, what is with discontenting the passenger seat so it is only power 4 way? Try explaining that one to your significant other on a long trip! And, no adjustable lumbar support! Come on, I expect flaws like this in Neon, not a car like this. Ok, that's my .02.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:52 PM

Here's what I would change...

- Another 30-40 HP. No not 100. Why? I still want decent gas mileage. No point to having HP I won't ever use (for the limited model).
- Increase length by 1 foot.
- Replace silver plastic with brushed metal. The painted silver gets scratched up easy. Actual metal would protect the look and interior integrity.
- Some lines should be exaggerated just a tad to give it a little more aggressive look.
- Sunroof option.
- Change nearly white beige to a deep rich beige.
- More modern looking shapes to some areas of the dash.

There's a lot that can improve the car which they ought to do instead of discontinuing it.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cobra953
Please give me the Recaro seats that were in my '93 VW Corrado...the current seats are unacceptable in a car in this price range. They are lower back killers. And, hey Chrysler, what is with discontenting the passenger seat so it is only power 4 way? Try explaining that one to your significant other on a long trip! And, no adjustable lumbar support! Come on, I expect flaws like this in Neon, not a car like this. Ok, that's my .02.
I agree, the seats suck.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cobra953
yeah, i am about to see if i can switch the drivers seat over to passenger seat and vise versa... if the drivers side seat works... electrically, i will look for another drivers side seat for the wifey's side.

j

Old 04-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Lightbulb Re: What would you change?

6 speed 1st gear could be a little taller, and a spare would be my suggestions. A great car --- It is over a year old and still get questions and compliments every week.

Bob --- San Diego, Ca.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HDDP
Xfire1:

Thanks for the post. You know exactly what I would want for this car. Gimme the SRT6 engine, with a manual transmission and access to the computer systems.

Sadly enough I watched the SCCA Speed Touring Car race from St. Petersburg FL. today and among many other cars, they had 2 Dodge SRT4's competing. Not a single Crossfire.
access to computer systems... means obtaining... software? diagnostics? what? MOTEK???

dropping a SRT6 and its manual tranny is not that hard hehehe
the rear-end gearing will need to be changed as well...
manifold
headers
cam
srt6 master cylinder...
100 pounds more to shave...

NOW the XF will be a contender...

HDDP ... FIREBASED said it straight... if the shortcomings of this XF is holding u back from your GOALS... Move on and get back on track to being a no-limit soldier again.

because like i said before, if chrysler hasn't helped YOU they aren't going to help anybody.... PERIOD! (MERCEDES!? )

i will love to hear chrysler's explanation when they officially kill the XF...
they better come up with a GOOD ONE because the crossfire issue will be a thorn in their side... especially with the layoffs in germany!!!

Old 04-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Forum Regular

Brothers and Sisters you know what I voted for... more horsepower with maybe a small block v8 under the hood... headers ... ram air induction on Limited ... do away with a lot of the control the computer has over the car's performance ... a cam with sum lobes ... and to heck with gas mileage... do I need to say more? Its all about power. hooah

Quick Reply: What would you change?