Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Here is a free HP increase for your XFire...

Old 04-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Here is a free HP increase for your XFire...

Originally Posted by ultrasport
As I was reading your thread, one thing became apparent; if someone has a comment or an actual experience that doesn't support your opinion, you go ballistic. I think CINDY2 was just saying that many years ago (perhaps 25) she owned a car that had the pollution control disconnected and this caused a head gasket to blow. It was nothing but stating something she personally experienced. Not a discredit to you or you idea. It was just a comment about messing with emissions.
The forum is meant to stimulate interaction among Crossfire owners and pass on information that is useful and informative. Jumping down another members throat because of a simple post may well be one reason female members rarely post. I am surprised she didn't respond to your attack, but she is probably too much a lady.
Well said.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danimal
ultrasport, the greatest thing about this forum is the "ignore list" and, if used correctly, takes care of situations like this. It's unfortunate but necessary.
Danimal... seeing how your just out to flame me, I'll ride that wagon with you for a few miles... Yes you should place me on your "ignore list" Brother... I was in the Vietnam War - USMC - 1st MarDiv - 7th marines - 5th marines - 3rd MAF Combine Action Group... now according to your stated age (55) and the reply you gave me after I ask you "where were you in 1968"... do the new math... you where in basic training at the age of 16, and off to Nam at the age of 17... so here we go Brother... your turn. "over"

Last edited by FirebaseD; 04-25-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ultrasport
As I was reading your thread, one thing became apparent; if someone has a comment or an actual experience that doesn't support your opinion, you go ballistic. I think CINDY2 was just saying that many years ago (perhaps 25) she owned a car that had the pollution control disconnected and this caused a head gasket to blow. It was nothing but stating something she personally experienced. Not a discredit to you or you idea. It was just a comment about messing with emissions.
The forum is meant to stimulate interaction among Crossfire owners and pass on information that is useful and informative. Jumping down another members throat because of a simple post may well be one reason female members rarely post. I am surprised she didn't respond to your attack, but she is probably too much a lady.
mmm that's not what i read... here is what I read...

"I owned a Fiat Spyder that this was done with" - "The engine had to be replaced" - "could be an expensive test" - maybe you should go back and read her posting. She gives no prove that her engine came apart because of an EGR problem.

No one makes claims that I am posting an engine mod that will blow your engine up without demonstrating with facts. That is BS and not an over reaction on my part.

Now if you can Google the net and come up with any engine that destroyed itself because the vacuum hose was disconnected from the vacuum valve that opens and closes the EGR valve - I'll gladly eat my words by way of a video feed to this forum. Hooah

Old 04-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ben47
Well said.
Ben47 - I love you Brother - leave me alone with this - don't drag up inside this mis-guided thread. hooah

Old 04-26-2006, 02:36 AM
Default Re: Here is a free HP increase for your XFire....

FirebaseD...you asked for documentation...here it is!!! I don't know for sure what your "ERG Valve" is and who had it in '68 but GM started using EGR valves in 1972. If you read the information below explaining what it does and how it works, I think even you can see where very little is to be gained by disconnecting it and probably will do more damage or create more problems.

"EGR Valves have been around for a long time. Starting way back in 1972 GM used them in an attempt to reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) which were a major cause of air pollution, mainly photochemical smog, that kind of smog which is formed when strong sunlight shines down on the exhaust gasses we puke out of our tailpipes by the billions of cubic feet a day.
A short chemistry lesson is in order here. It was discovered way back when, that high combustion chamber peak temperatures (the really short duration high temperatures near the end of the combustion process) caused oxygen and nitrogen to combine chemically and form these oxides of nitrogen mentioned above. Most of the anti-pollution devices of the day did a pretty good job of reducing the other bad by-products of combustion, namely excessive hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, however they tended to induce the formation of oxides of nitrogen. Something had to be done else we would all die of smog diseases.
The automotive engineers figured that they needed to do something to lower the peak combustion temperatures which only occurred under certain high load driving conditions. They figured they could do so at the expense of power and fuel economy but what the heck, ya can't have everything! If they could only add something to the combustion chamber that would act like sort of a fire extinguisher to cool the combustion temperatures that would do it.
So they invented a way to allow some very inert gas to get back into the combustion chamber only when needed. They needed a source of this gas - it wasn't air, cuz that contains oxygen and nitrogen which caused the problem in the first place. So they chose carbon dioxide. Where to get a supply of carbon dioxide . . . ??? Hmmmm, how about the exhaust system? That is mainly carbon dioxide and water (plus a zillion other noxious chemicals) Suppose we allow some of the exhaust gas to get back into the intake manifold under strict control and only when we need it? That would cool the combustion chamber and prevent the formation of the NoX. Maybe we should call it recirculated exhaust gas (REG??). But a guy named Reginald voted no cuz he didn't want his name associated with a car part, so they called it exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) since there was nobody around with that name.
Now we understand why it is there. And we understand what it does. So what can go wrong with it and what are the symptoms??
It's really pretty simple - it can be open when it isn't supposed to be, or it can be closed when it is supposed to be open. Not rocket science, but it is science. If it is open when it is not supposed to be open, at idle for instance, It will act like one monster vacuum leak and the engine will not idle or will idle really roughly. If it doesn't open when it is supposed to open you will probably experience a symptom of "pinging" or "knocking" since the combustion chamber temperature will be higher than normal (one of the main causes of pinging in an engine). "
OWNED.

On my way to Vietnam!!!

And how much racing do you do between 1,100 and 1,900 RPM??? Straight from your own post. At wide open throttle and at idle...the EGR valve is closed. I don't know what I would do with all that extra horsepower in that 800 RPM range...get a grille up on a YUGO maybe.
OWNED X 2.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Here is a free HP increase for your XFire....

Originally Posted by Bullseye
OWNED.

OWNED X 2.
Such a "Net Kiddy", "OWNED" that is just too funny.

How many of you folks posting in this thread, short of Wayne, know what a EGR Valve looks like, or where it is located, without doing a "Google" on the internet?

How many of you know where the "Smug Pump" is located or looks like without using the internet for a brain?

Just wondering if I should continue to defend my position, or if I'm dealing with "Net Kiddies." hooah

Old 04-26-2006, 12:47 PM

I see by your profile you are just a few years older than I am. I understand that you are also a Vietnam Veteran and I commend you for your service to your Country. Although I am a woman and may not be as experienced as a mechanic; I am perfectly capable of following instructions. When I need to solve a problem I find that Chilton Books give a fairly good "How To Do" when it comes to automobile repairs and troubleshooting. I also remember the "OLD DAYS" when you could walk up to an experienced mechanic and in five minutes he could troubleshoot the problem and recommend a fix. Good luck trying to find anyone that can do this today without computer diagnostic equipment.
Once again, in reference to my post. The 1976 Fiat Spyder had a double overhead cam and was adapted from a former Ferrari engine by Fiat. It was a high revving engine that could easily tach out to 7,000 rpm. It was one of the most durable engines available. A friend of mine ( a mechanic) attended a school in Italy known as FAZA. This organization specialized in tuning and enhancing Ferrari and Fiat racing engines. He bought a kit that disconnected the pollution control; disconnected the EGR valve and plugged the vacuum lines associated with these items. (to prevent rough idling and flat spots on acceleration). The Fiat ran fantastic. A noticeable increase in power and performance. There was no other changes made to the car. Within a week I noticed the temperature gauge increasing substantially. By the time I got the car home it boiled over. On checking the oil I noticed it had a milky appearance. A blown head gasket.
My friend and an expert import mechanic replaced the head gasket. The oil and filter was changed and ,five minutes after the car was started antifreeze appeared in the oil. They removed the head and found it was warped and beyond machining. They replaced the entire assembly. In analyzing what caused this, they determined that the Fiat engine used in Europe did not have all the pollution controls that the US engine had. So, by disconnection the EGR valve and plugging the lines; this caused a buildup of heat and pressure in the engine therefore blowing the head gasket. So I am not saying this would happen to every engine in every make as manufacturers use different pollution systems, all of which have changed dramatically over the years. I therefore resolve that one cannot say that disconnecting the EGR valve will either harm or not harm the engine. I am sure, however, that the computer will throw a code when the EGR is disconnected and attempt to compensate in some way.
There are some young men on this forum, (Bullseye for one) that are very up to date with today's technology, and always substantiate their claims with facts and personal experience. For some reason you feel personally attacked about this matter, and I assure you no disrespect was intended. In turn, you should respect other people's opinion and refrain from name calling and trashing their posts. I have found that to get respect you have to give it in return. Hopefully the WAR is over.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Forum Regular

"Peace brothers and sisters".

Old 04-26-2006, 06:01 PM

As i said before don't stop, (but i think we have explored every avenue) it has been a very entertaining post, an i for one have learned a lot. The lady is right everyone's views and comments should be respected. That why we have a forum an that also has been said before.
Happy and safe enjoyable drive to you all. Don't forget we all drive an love our crossfires to bits THAT MAKES US SPECIAL AND UNIQUE, an 1 big happy family.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, don't stop or I'll pull the pin!

Old 04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Talking Re: Here is a free HP increase for your XFire...

At last, something useful to put in the cupholder, did it come with the car standard fit or is it an "extra". owh

Old 04-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Forum Regular

Firebased says "I don't CARE what anyone says, I'm disconnecting my EGR Valve. Engine blowing up, it's just an EGR Valve people... What could possibly go wrong?"

Last edited by FirebaseD; 04-28-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:07 AM

Really funny dude... Wish more people had a sense of humor <grin>.