Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Here is a free HP increase for your XFire...

Old 04-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is a free HP increase for your XFire...

This is free and you can do it yourself... it is from the old school and it works... for an extra horse or two, maybe more, reach down in the engine compartment and unplug the vacuum hose leading to the ERG Value, plug the hose up with a small screw, are whatever, and the ERG Value will not open and therefore will not allow exhaust gases to feed back into your combustion chambers, therefore allowing more room in the chamber for good ole fresh air and fuel mixture... give it a try and see if you don't notice the difference. It may be just the thing that you’re looking for, you know a horse at no charge, but remember you'll need to hook it back up before you take the Crossfire into the dealership fro any type of repairs or servicing, and also you will be running your engine outside the laws governing emission control. But what the heck "I'm a pirate."

Old 04-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Here is a free HP increase for your XFire....

Any pics what that vacuum hose look like?

Old 04-23-2006, 09:03 AM

I owned a Fiat Spyder that this was done with; with the exception it was disconnected altogether. It caused a buildup of pressure and eventually blew a head gasket; overheated the engine; and warped the heads. The engine had to be replaced. The car had only 5,000 miles on it at the time. Maybe it was a particular problem with the double overhead cam FIAT; but it could be an expensive test.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:40 AM

Just in time for Earth Day...

Old 04-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cindy2
I owned a Fiat Spyder that this was done with; with the exception it was disconnected altogether. It caused a buildup of pressure and eventually blew a head gasket; overheated the engine; and warped the heads. The engine had to be replaced. The car had only 5,000 miles on it at the time. Maybe it was a particular problem with the double overhead cam FIAT; but it could be an expensive test.
Are you in freaking sane? Please give supporting information that disconnecting the vacuum hose from the ERG Valve could cause such damage... I've done this type of vacuum hose disconnect from the ERG Valves starting way back in '68, I'm sorry but such a statement on your part is so far out in left field it blows my mind... just stop it.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:03 AM

Disconnecting the EGR on newer cars with computers can create some unwanted side effects, including overcompensation by retarding the timing and setting off the check engine light. Also, the EGR is typically closed when the throttle is in the wide open position, so top end performance won't be improved anyway.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Smile Re: Here is a free HP increase for your XFire....

Don't stop there, This story is getting interesting.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
Are you in freaking sane? Please give supporting information that disconnecting the vacuum hose from the ERG Valve could cause such damage... I've done this type of vacuum hose disconnect from the ERG Valves starting way back in '68, I'm sorry but such a statement on your part is so far out in left field it blows my mind... just stop it.
FirebaseD...you asked for documentation...here it is!!! I don't know for sure what your "ERG Valve" is and who had it in '68 but GM started using EGR valves in 1972. If you read the information below explaining what it does and how it works, I think even you can see where very little is to be gained by disconnecting it and probably will do more damage or create more problems.

"EGR Valves have been around for a long time. Starting way back in 1972 GM used them in an attempt to reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) which were a major cause of air pollution, mainly photochemical smog, that kind of smog which is formed when strong sunlight shines down on the exhaust gasses we puke out of our tailpipes by the billions of cubic feet a day.
A short chemistry lesson is in order here. It was discovered way back when, that high combustion chamber peak temperatures (the really short duration high temperatures near the end of the combustion process) caused oxygen and nitrogen to combine chemically and form these oxides of nitrogen mentioned above. Most of the anti-pollution devices of the day did a pretty good job of reducing the other bad by-products of combustion, namely excessive hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, however they tended to induce the formation of oxides of nitrogen. Something had to be done else we would all die of smog diseases.
The automotive engineers figured that they needed to do something to lower the peak combustion temperatures which only occurred under certain high load driving conditions. They figured they could do so at the expense of power and fuel economy but what the heck, ya can't have everything! If they could only add something to the combustion chamber that would act like sort of a fire extinguisher to cool the combustion temperatures that would do it.
So they invented a way to allow some very inert gas to get back into the combustion chamber only when needed. They needed a source of this gas - it wasn't air, cuz that contains oxygen and nitrogen which caused the problem in the first place. So they chose carbon dioxide. Where to get a supply of carbon dioxide . . . ??? Hmmmm, how about the exhaust system? That is mainly carbon dioxide and water (plus a zillion other noxious chemicals) Suppose we allow some of the exhaust gas to get back into the intake manifold under strict control and only when we need it? That would cool the combustion chamber and prevent the formation of the NoX. Maybe we should call it recirculated exhaust gas (REG??). But a guy named Reginald voted no cuz he didn't want his name associated with a car part, so they called it exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) since there was nobody around with that name.
Now we understand why it is there. And we understand what it does. So what can go wrong with it and what are the symptoms??
It's really pretty simple - it can be open when it isn't supposed to be, or it can be closed when it is supposed to be open. Not rocket science, but it is science. If it is open when it is not supposed to be open, at idle for instance, It will act like one monster vacuum leak and the engine will not idle or will idle really roughly. If it doesn't open when it is supposed to open you will probably experience a symptom of "pinging" or "knocking" since the combustion chamber temperature will be higher than normal (one of the main causes of pinging in an engine). "

Old 04-24-2006, 12:50 PM

I WAS RIGHT, this is getting interesting better than signing up for university.
now i have a question relating to this, years ago, say about 20, was that when the boy racers injected water into the inlet manifold on high speed runs to give that extra hp by cooling the mixture? Or was it for the carbon dioxide.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it was for the C... It was for the O2. Like better performance on a rainy day.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
I don't think it was for the C... It was for the O2. Like better performance on a rainy day.
Correct...it just increased the density, providing more power.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Forum Regular

OK so maybe it wasn't 1968... I'm an old man so give me a break with the years and date trash already. Besides where were you in 1968?

Here is my input on the ERG Valve, and it is a cut and paste from the "X-Ram Intake Manifold" web site, no I did not copy their ideas, they stole our old school thinking and put it to good use...Hooah...

The EGR Valve
Now that you have a little better view of the X-Ram, we'll ponder the effects of the EGR very shortly. The EGR is an emission reducer. They do this at an rpm range be 1,100 and 1,900 rpm's, or normal street driving range. The EGR is opened by the computer during this rpm range and allows about 20% inert gasses (burned gasses) to enter the intake and mix with the air and fuel. Because these gasses are inert (or already burned) they can't be burned again. Thus, the mixture enters the compression chamber and you have 20% less emission in the exhaust cycle. This works well, but also has 20% less performance. By removing the EGR we don't have the inert gasses to take up the space in the cylinders which increase the emissions slightly and cause a slight lean effect in the mixture. Because of the oxygen sensor, the lean mixture is detected by increased heat in the exhaust and the computer compensates with a slightly longer injection pulse to bring the mixture back into specs. Thus, there is no loss or no gain; just good clean performance, better mileage, more hp, and even more strange, less emission at the tail pipe.

And thats the bottom line folks, "cleaner mixture for more HP." So you can go with Mr. Science, or you can go with "Street Know How", the HP is there for the taking, but don't get pulled over for an emissions inspection.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robbradsell
I WAS RIGHT, this is getting interesting better than signing up for university.
now i have a question relating to this, years ago, say about 20, was that when the boy racers injected water into the inlet manifold on high speed runs to give that extra hp by cooling the mixture ? or was it for the carbon dioxide.
Yes that was done, but the big thing if I recall right, was to route your gas line into and out of a coffee can filled with ice to cool the fuel before it got to the carburetor, that made for a denser mixture.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:16 PM

OK so maybe it wasn't 1968... I'm an old man so give me a break with the years and date trash already. Besides where were you in 1968?...
On my way to Vietnam!!!

And how much racing do you do between 1,100 and 1,900 RPM??? Straight from your own post. At wide open throttle and at idle...the EGR valve is closed. I don't know what I would do with all that extra horsepower in that 800 RPM range...get a grille up on a YUGO maybe.

Last edited by danimal; 04-24-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Here is a free HP increase for your XFire...

danimal - it's about more then HP now Brother... where is the burn up pistons and over heated heads... don't go knocking the gain in HP after going on about blowing head gaskets due to over heating the chambers because of an unplugged vacuum hose that opens and closes the EGR Valve... I proved the HP gain, and the small input I made concerning disconnecting the EGR Valve does not cause anyone's engine to fall out under the car... now show me something where someone blew there engine because they disconnected the EGR Valve hose... go ahead brother Google that... I'm standing by for that one Brother, but I'm sure I'll dry rot before you get back to me with any input other then something about pinging and knocking... hooah

Last edited by FirebaseD; 04-24-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:57 PM

... I'm standing by for that one Brother, but I'm sure I'll dry rot before you get back to me with any input other then something about pinging and knocking... hooah
Enjoy your horsepower, FirebaseD.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:20 PM

When I drag race my Corvette I monitor all of the engine stats via Diacom plus with my lap top computer. The EGR valve never cycles when under wide open throttle but during normal driving it will cycle occasionally. When I program performance chips for mildly modifies engines I never turn off the EGR as long as the EGR system has not been removed. It is designed to cool head temperatures and will aid in reducing pollution. Some of us argue that mileage is increased. The engines that I have turned it off have not had any short term problems but there is just no reason to disconnect it.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wayne1992
When I drag race my Corvette I monitor all of the engine stats via Diacom plus with my lap top computer. The EGR valve never cycles when under wide open throttle but during normal driving it will cycle occasionally. When I program performance chips for mildly modifies engines I never turn off the EGR as long as the EGR system has not been removed. It is designed to cool head temperatures and will aid in reducing pollution. Some of us argue that mileage is increased. The engines that I have turned it off have not had any short term problems but there is just no reason to disconnect it.
Thank you for your input Wayne... I yield this thread to you, you have tested the ERG disconnect and you have facts to support your position... others should learn from your post...

Everyone should understand I will never stand down on a thread that I started after someone claims that a mod, that I have recommended, will blow the heads off your Crossfire without supportive information or facts. I consider that to be no more then an attempt to discredit my opinion. "out"

Last edited by FirebaseD; 04-24-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:16 PM

As I was reading your thread, one thing became apparent; if someone has a comment or an actual experience that doesn't support your opinion, you go ballistic. I think CINDY2 was just saying that many years ago (perhaps 25) she owned a car that had the pollution control disconnected and this caused a head gasket to blow. It was nothing but stating something she personally experienced. Not a discredit to you or you idea. It was just a comment about messing with emissions.
The forum is meant to stimulate interaction among Crossfire owners and pass on information that is useful and informative. Jumping down another members throat because of a simple post may well be one reason female members rarely post. I am surprised she didn't respond to your attack, but she is probably too much a lady.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ultrasport
... Jumping down another members throat because of a simple post may well be one reason female members rarely post. I am surprised she didn't respond to your attack, but she is probably too much a lady.
ultrasport, the greatest thing about this forum is the "ignore list" and, if used correctly, takes care of situations like this. It's unfortunate but necessary.

Quick Reply: Here is a free HP increase for your XFire...