Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

In defense of "Bone Stock"

Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In defense of "Bone Stock"

Ever seen a Craig cassette deck poking out of the dashboard of a 1957 Thunderbird? Give me the factory tube radio it was born with any day.

If it came with a carb, I say leave it that way.

There's an old gag in the antique trade that goes:

"This here is George Washington' hatchet. The handle's been replaced a couple of times, and the blade was replaced twice, but it's the genuine item".

A cool car can be restored repeatedly, but it's only original once.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: In defense of "Bone Stock"

ok

Old 05-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock is boring :P chop it ! chop it !

Old 05-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular

WELCOME TO AMERICA!

Old 05-23-2006, 04:21 PM

No Stockiness here. There are to many alabaster coupe's out there. That's why mine is striped, has a graphic on the rear, a painted filter housing and a powered by Mercedes badge under the hood.
To each his own is the saying.

Last edited by crossfirefun; 05-23-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah yes but a 57 that was modified in the 50's and 60's that still has all the period parts is sometimes worth more than a bone stock one......
I say do what you like.
enjoy it too.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend will be MAD if you'll want her to remove her SMILEY ball away from her convertible Crossfire antenna!

Old 05-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Forum Regular
Arrow Re: In defense of "Bone Stock"

Look at it like this, there's going to be PLENTY of Crossfires that are "bone stock" down the road to remind of us what the car looked like when it was new. As a matter of fact, how many are really modded in a way that can't be returned to OEM pretty easily, something to think about.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:24 PM

In the years to come, the stock xf's will be worth more to those looking for stock cars, whereas the modified cars will be more valuable for someone looking for one that's already modified. The world is made up of all kinds and that's what keeps it going!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I look at it this way. Cars are like women, a few aftermarket accessories to make them look better always helps, but neither are worth a damn once they have a few miles on them !

Old 05-23-2006, 10:04 PM

LOL!!
Maybe it's because of the person putting the miles on them!
You must not have found the right one, then. Keep trying.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDP
I look at it this way. Cars are like women, a few aftermarket accessories to make them look better always helps, but neither are worth a damn once they have a few miles on them !
Uh-oh, let the flames begin! Better get the fire gear on Derek!

Old 05-24-2006, 01:20 AM

Who Me ?

Attached Images
File Type: gif
tri2.gif (21.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 05-24-2006, 03:05 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dobro has very good point for anyone who believes that some day the Crossfire will become a collectible. It is a fact that and all stock car with matching serial numbers will bring more money then a restored vehicle. Many Viper owners would buy and extra crated engine just to keep the miles off of their stock engine so as not to affect the potential sale of their ride. I too believe that in time the Crossfire has the possibility of becoming a collector's item and why mine sits in storage for 6 months of the year while the weather is bad. The main thing is too enjoy the car and if modifying it is your thing then go for it, some you have turned out some sweet rides. I certainly like what Ben' Audio has done using rfid technology for key less entry and starting.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:49 AM

One thing you have to remember is most vehicles that become collectibles are very sought after when they were new also. Ours might be worth something in a hundred years when there is only three or four left.
Collecting is a crap shoot, you don't know when or what will appreciate. Better to enjoy it now (MHO).

Old 05-24-2006, 06:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine will probably stay stock, but it isn't because I'm hoping to make a
killing off of it at a later year. I plan to drive this car for at least 12 years,
at which point the motor will probably need a rebuild. Maybe the Crossfire will achieve collectible status, maybe not. I don't really care. I like the car
and will drive it until the wheels fall off. Then, as any good southern man
would, I'll put it on concrete blocks in the front yard.

Coyote

Old 05-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfirefun
One thing you have to remember is most vehicles that become collectibles are very sought after when they were new also. Ours might be worth something in a hundred years when there is only three or four left.
Collecting is a crap shoot, you don't know when or what will appreciate. Better to enjoy it now (MHO).
Phil, don't forget there are quite a few exceptions to that rule.
Probably the biggest "orphan" out there was the Plymouth Superbird. Nobody, and I mean nobody wanted those things when they were new. Some dealers actually removed the rear wing and extended nose just to make it look like every other Road Runner of its day so they could sell it.

If you pick up a Hemming Price guide, I think you would be surprised at the prices some ordinary everyday cars are bringing now days.

Will our Crossfires be the next "Hemi Cuda" on the auction block in 30 or 35 years? I doubt it. But if you just look around at any 25 or 30 year old two seater sports cars that are for sale currently, most all are bringing strong money. And in this case, the more original the better most of the time.

Except the DeLorean or the Bricklins. I believe they still may be struggling (must be those darn "Gull Wing" doors). Or a lack of a good parts source.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Phil, don't forget there are quite a few exceptions to that rule.
Probably the biggest "orphan" out there was the Plymouth Superbird. Nobody, and I mean nobody wanted those things when they were new. Some dealers actually removed the rear wing and extended nose just to make it look like every other Road Runner of its day so they could sell it.

If you pick up a Hemming Price guide, I think you would be surprised at the prices some ordinary everyday cars are bringing now days.

Will our Crossfires be the next "Hemi Cuda" on the auction block in 30 or 35 years? I doubt it. But if you just look around at any 25 or 30 year old two seater sports cars that are for sale currently, most all are bringing strong money. And in this case, the more original the better most of the time.

Except the DeLorean or the Bricklins. I believe they still may be struggling (must be those darn "Gull Wing" doors). Or a lack of a good parts source.
First of all, I agree that just enjoying them now is far more important that holding out hope of a diamond in the rough collectible in your driveway. However, it seems that being able to restore back to original splendor isn't that hard if you just keep the parts that come off (if you've got the room of course) and don't tear up the body work too much. Has anyone done any body mods yet by the way?

Old 05-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Thumbs up Re: In defense of "Bone Stock"

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
However, it seems that being able to restore back to original splendor isn't that hard if you just keep the parts that come off (if you've got the room of course) and don't tear up the body work too much. Has anyone done any body mods yet by the way?
I have slightly modded my crossfire (body) to my liking and to stand out from the small crowd of Crossfires here in Miami, Fl.

- debadged rear c-r-o-s-s-f-i-r-e logo
- smoked tail lights
- yellow tint front fog lights
- shaved front and rear side marker lights
- painted entire front grill including the chrome chrysler wings gloss black
- painted lower front grill and rear wind diffusers gloss black
- painted trim around front windshield Aero Blue
- painted door handles Aero Blue
- painted side gills gloss black
- and of course all this for the rim color scheme: gloss blk center w/color match lip

I know the mods i did (esp. the rim lip) is not the norm you might be used to but I’m not your average joe and nor should my Crossfire be!

Just imagine this: you are walking out of a major mall to your car in a crowded parking lot and you just so happen to see three crossfires with the same color that you have...how do you determine which one is yours??? (just look at the big picture)

...as stated in earlier responses (can be stated many different ways but All have the same basic meaning): your car is an expression of you and your personality, every person is different in their own way...so why not make your car, your own!?!

Don’t get me wrong though...if you like the stock look go for it!!! ...at the end of the day you are the one that needs to be happy with your car!

By the way here's the only pic i have so far of "my toy" from the DUB Magazine car show here in Miami a couple of weeks ago (enjoy):
http://www.dubmagazine.com/DUBCSC-mi...s/IMG_2650.htm

B Unique or B Unknown...

Old 05-24-2006, 05:06 PM

Looks pretty good IMO.

Quick Reply: In defense of "Bone Stock"