Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Windshield Replacement

Old 05-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Windshield Replacement

Has anyone had any issues having their windshield (windscreen!) replaced?

I got back from a whirlwind trip to Australia on Saturday to find my screen had been cracked whilst the car was sitting at the 'secure' parking at Heathrow - traveling 'cattle class' for 22 hours was bad enough without this.
The car should have gone in to Autoglass today but, as we all now expect with this car, they have to go to DC for the screen and they don't know how long it will take! Anyway I was just concerned that they may cause damage whilst removing the surround. I am not sure what is involved as there is no reference in the manual as to how it is removed. It doesn't inspire confidence when they say "A crossfire? we've never done one of those before)!

Old 05-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Windshield Replacement

Simon: Fairly easy process. Remove the wipers, remove the plastic cover below the wipers that encloses the entire width of the back side of the engine bay and wiper mechanics below, pull the weather strip that surrounds the windshield, remove the mirror, remove the windshield.

Hope this helps. should only take 15 minutes to remove and another 20 to re-install.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:53 AM

Thanks Derek, I'm going to watch them like a hawk while they do it just in case. That's assuming they ever get the screen from DC!

Old 05-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woody
Has anyone had any issues having their windshield (windscreen!) replaced?
Hi woody. Maybe this helps too:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ead.php?t=8082

Old 05-30-2006, 07:53 PM

Thanks chfx, I think I searched for 'windscreen' rather than windshield when I looked and only dug up stuff about Roadster windscreens, Duh! Looks like there is some debate as to whether the surround has to come off. To me it looks like it does, which is what worried me in case they started to pry it off. Still no date for the arrival of the screen so I'll have to wait and see. I have had good and bad experiences in the past with glass replacement companies.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:20 AM

I finally got my windscreen replaced today. I took the precaution of removing all the trim myself to avoid any collateral damage after they told me they had never done a crossfire before. I was also curious as to how it all came apart!
Just in case anyone else is wondering what lies behind the trim, here's some pics before I put it back together again:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
screen1.jpg (138.2 KB, 1557 views)
DSCF2912.jpg (180.6 KB, 1464 views)
screen2.jpg (168.5 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by woody; 06-09-2006 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 06-09-2006, 10:51 AM

Did you replace any "clips" or trim attachments with new ones? Just curious if everything snapped back into place nice & tight. Did you replace any rubber seals or anything else?

Old 06-09-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by stlxfire
Did you replace any "clips" or trim attachments with new ones? Just curious if everything snapped back into place nice & tight. Did you replace any rubber seals or anything else?
I haven't started to put it all back yet (still at work ). I don't expect to have to replace anything though. It all came off without any damage so hopefully it will all go back together nicely. The clips on the surround are actually metal that are secured to the plastic surround with a double-sided adhesive pad.
I guess this is the exact same process you go through when fitting the CTD chrome surround.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Angry Re: Windshield Replacement

I spoke too soon about not having to replace anything.

I thought I would spend a leisurely morning out in the sunshine putting all my screen trim back on, and that all went fine. Then I opened the bonnet to refit the screws on the scuttle trim panel and found that the clumsy b**ards have broken it. This was the only panel I left in place before I took it for the screen fitting! A heated phone call and revisit later I now have to wait for the Auto glass manager to assess the damage on Monday. And people wonder why I never let anyone work on my cars...

Attached Images
damage.jpg (141.3 KB, 85 views)
Old 06-10-2006, 02:37 PM

Bummer !!! BIG BUMMER !!! How the hell did they screw that up ? They must have not noticed the ZIP tie that holds the wires to that portion of the cover and pulled hard on the thing...

IDIOTS, I SAY !!!

But at least England won today... LOL

Old 06-10-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
Bummer !!! BIG BUMMER !!! How the hell did they screw that up ? They must have not noticed the ZIP tie that holds the wires to that portion of the cover and pulled hard on the thing...

IDIOTS, I SAY !!!

But at least England won today... LOL
Absolutely! When all is said and done its only minor damage an most probably wouldn't notice it, it just annoys the hell out of me when you know they took such little care, and then didn't own up to either!

Yep, did well in the football , but Jenson starts down the back of the grid for the British GP. Watch out for your man Scott Speed tomorrow, he was flying with that V10 in practice.

Old 06-10-2006, 03:16 PM

Watch out for your man Scott Speed tomorrow, he was flying with that V10 in practice.
No Way, he's as slow as me and my Crossfire... LOL Poor kid, must have smoked too much pot when he was growing-up in California... I'm staying with my favorites Kimi & Alonzo...

Old 06-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Forum Regular

Watch out for your man Scott Speed tomorrow, he was flying with that V10 in practice.
Scott Speed certainly flew today at the British GP... straight into everyone else on the very first lap... bless him... it went something like this:

Lap 1: Ralf Schumacher and Mark Webber are both out of the race, crashing on the opening lap.
Lap 2: Safety Car is out.
Lap 2: Scott Speed was responsible for Ralf and Webber's shunt... he went into the back of Ralf in the second part of Becketts and sent the German shunting into Webber... Speed has to pit for a new nosecone.
Lap 24: The stewards have announced they will investigate the shunt between Scott Speed, Mark Webber and Ralf Schumacher, which took place on lap one.

Maybe he was driving on the wrong side of the road.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by bollox
Scott Speed certainly flew today at the British GP... straight into everyone else on the very first lap... bless him... it went something like this:

Lap 1: Ralf Schumacher and Mark Webber are both out of the race, crashing on the opening lap.
Lap 2: Safety Car is out.
Lap 2: Scott Speed was responsible for Ralf and Webber's shunt... he went into the back of Ralf in the second part of Becketts and sent the German shunting into Webber... Speed has to pit for a new nosecone.
Lap 24: The stewards have announced they will investigate the shunt between Scott Speed, Mark Webber and Ralf Schumacher, which took place on lap one.

Maybe he was driving on the wrong side of the road.
I said watch out for him didn't I.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:18 PM

I'm Not Reading Your Posts... I'm Watching The Race Right Now... 22 Laps To Go... Don't Ruin It For Me.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:13 PM

No Way, he's as slow as me and my Crossfire... LOL Poor kid, must have smoked too much pot when he was growing-up in California... I'm staying with my favorites Kimi & Alonzo...
Nuff said... Pot smoking Californians shouldn't be driving fast cars... Kimi would have been second if it wasn't for Shumi's great pit crew... Let's see how they do at INDY in a few weeks... Last year was a disaster !!!

Old 06-11-2006, 03:29 PM

Nuff said... Pot smoking Californians shouldn't be driving fast cars... Kimi would have been second if it wasn't for Shumi's great pit crew... Let's see how they do at INDY in a few weeks... Last year was a disaster !!!
It was about the most exciting part of the race though! Just out of interest which commentary team do you get over there?

Old 06-11-2006, 03:56 PM

It was about the most exciting part of the race though! Just out of interest which commentary team do you get over there?
It was Derek Daley and Stuart ?...

PS... What happened to your UK hopeful ? OOPS !... I think we need to bring Jackie Stewart and Derek Bell out of retirement...

Cheers

Old 06-11-2006, 04:27 PM

PS... What happened to your UK hopeful ? OOPS !... I think we need to bring Jackie Stewart and Derek Bell out of retirement...
...and get Honda to learn how to make an oil-tight engine!

Old 06-11-2006, 05:17 PM

...and get Honda to learn how to make an oil-tight engine!
Just a bad build... Dan Weldon ran a Honda last night during the IRL race at Texas Motor Speedway and didn't blow his in 99f weather...