Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Claustrophobic Confines?

Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Claustrophobic Confines?

I have been trying to get my best friend to at least consider a new Crossfire as his next sports car purchase for over a year now. Simply because I personally feel there is no better automotive bargain out there for this type of car. He understands that, and he does enjoy the way my car looks, performs, rides, and handles. And Lord knows he appreciates a good bargain.
But he says the biggest reason he wouldn't be comfortable in a Crossfire is because it's just too "claustrophobic" for him, and he knows it would be for his Wife too. All this is coming from a man who owns a vintage 1970 Mach 1, and a 1975, 280 Z that he purchased brand new. Now I don't know if any of you have ever been in a 70 Mach 1, but to me it feels like the top of the car is shoving you down into the seat. And in the Z car you feel as though you are nearly rubbing shoulders with the person next to you.
My friend looks as though he has 0% body fat, about 160 lbs, 5' 11", so "fit" isn't the problem.
I know the roadsters have more head room, but he is so paranoid about convertibles there is no sense to even suggest it.
My question, does anybody else suffer from claustrophobia who owns a Crossfire, and if so, how are you coping with it? Thanks!
Mike

Old 06-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Claustrophobic Confines?

I am 6'3" 290 and well, yeah, fit really is not a problem for me either.

Fat guy in a little car, fat guy in a little car!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BFreedman372
I am 6'3" 290 and well, yeah, fit really is not a problem for me either.

Fat guy in a little car, fat guy in a little car!
I was 5'10 and over 250 when purchased xfire ... now under 200 must be the xfire ??? However, did give up beer for quite a while... wonder which one it was ????

Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 PM

Just joking about the fat guy, when people hear I weigh 290 their jaws drop! I can pull off 240 - it's just cause I work out and a lot of it is muscle.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Forum Regular

I'm 6'4" and don't feel claustrophobic in no way.

But looking at the picture, some could easily *lol*.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
airbag.jpg (35.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-02-2006, 01:51 PM

Yeah, My sunroof eases my claustrophobia! Normally when the weather is nice - I open er' up.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is your best friend and he's claustrophobic, ... Why would you want him to consider the Crossfire coupe ? The low roof line does seem somewhat confining and takes some getting used to.

Geezzz, he'll be miserable. ...And there's no room for a barf bag.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
....And there's no room for a barf bag.
So you mean he should definitely get a roadster. And always drive with the top down. Just to play safe.

sorry ...
I can imagine that some people don't feel well in a Crossfire. Seats are low, the dashboard looks big and the enormous steering wheel makes you feel like trapped, if you're not used to it.
But if he owns a Mach1 and a 280Z

Old 06-02-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
If this is your best friend and he's claustrophobic, ... Why would you want him to consider the Crossfire coupe ? The low roof line does seem somewhat confining and takes some getting used to.

Geezzz, he'll be miserable. ...And there's no room for a barf bag.
Fritz, You should have seen the smile on his face the day I let him drive it, and the way he was taking it thru the curves near his home. Misery was the last thing on his mind.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:39 PM

my girlfriend thinks the inside is huge. she says the mr2 and s2000 ****pits are way way smaller...

Old 06-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Forum Regular

O.K. ... miserable with a smile on his face and a barf bag in his lap. ... NOW I understand.
Honest! I DO! And I'm not at all claustrophobic.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by x'ed
my girlfriend thinks the inside is huge. she says the mr2 and s2000 ****pits are way way smaller....
who the f@ck keeps editing posts??? how do you take out **** from ****pit??? this is getting out of control, the moderator is getting out of hand, my posts are getting erased all the time and edited all the time. i'm one of the longest running members here and don't appreciate it.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Forum Regular

who the f@ck keeps editing posts??? how do you take out **** from ****pit??? this is getting out of control, the moderator is getting out of hand, my posts are getting erased all the time and edited all the time. i'm one of the longest running members here and don't appreciate it.
Let's see if it's done automatically: It's not possible to write ****pit because there is the word **** and this a bad bad bad word. How about: a ****roach fell in my delicious ****tail.

X'ed, one of my posts was erased too. Because some of the members felt offended. Strange world.

EDIT: x'ed, it's not the moderator himself. There seems to be a filter catching all the bad bad bad words and changing them directly.

Last edited by chxf; 06-02-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:28 PM

ha, i guess that clears things up, but that is pretty lame, so new rule, no ****pits, ****tails, john han****'s ****atoo's or anything here.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:18 PM

ha, i guess that clears things up, but that is pretty lame, so new rule, no ****pits, ****tails, john han****'s ****atoo's or anything here.
X'ed, I noticed this happening the other night when I PM'd somebody and I mentioned her Husband Richard, only he goes by the name that starts with Di and ends in ck. Oh and let's not forget Aeroblues Koker spaniel. Anyway, as crazy as all this nonsense is, I guess we are all going to have to start using HOMONYMS, or simply start to intentionally misspell some of those "dangerous" words to get our points across.

And here I thought "Bush" was just monitoring our phone calls, not censoring our emails.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:49 PM

I think the low seating position/high door line contribute to the feeling of enclosure, as does the relative closeness of the windshield header. It is just a feeling, however.

Read the dimensions for competing cars and you will find them all within tenths of an inch in every measured dimension: shoulder room, hip room, head room and leg room -- for:

Audi TT
Nissan 350Z
BMW Z4
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Mazda RX8
Porsche 911
Acura RSX
Toyota Celica
Mercedes SLK (current & original)

And the Crossfire's interior dwarfs such tiny things as:

Mazda Miata
Honda S2000
Toyota MR2
BMW Z3

Rob "Goldilocks" Gold
Just Right!

Old 06-03-2006, 12:23 AM

Surprisingly, at 6' 2", I'm more comfortable in my Miata than my Crossfire, and that's even with the Miata's top up. But I think you're correct Rob, it's probably the high door sills, and "gun site" side glass of the Crossfire that gives my friend the feeling of being in a WW II "pill box".
What's truly ironic though, when we were younger men, he always thought it would have been cool to have been a Military Tank driver. So go figure.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

At 5'10" I don't feel claustrophobic, but it's not as roomy as my old Sante Fe that I traded for it. I like the headroom it has for me ... my seat is almost all the way down, so it just might be how I sit. Perhaps someone could feel "trapped" because of that HUGE blind spot. I've always driven using my side mirrors, so it just took a little relearning to get use to it. The view out the rearview mirror is a bit "tunnelish" but I still enjoy it. So ... I know people that can't do an MRI because it feels claustrophobic, wait ... that's a topic for the Health forum.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:30 PM

just spell it like calk!

Old 06-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
And here I thought "Bush" was just monitoring our phone calls, not censoring our emails.
Why don't we just replace all potentially offensive four letter words with a versitle generic three letter word ... How about POG ...
  1. I could POG that...
  2. POG off...
  3. What the pogging hell is going on here...
  4. POG that...
  5. Do you fancy a POG...
  6. POG face...
  7. Go POG yourself...
  8. What the POG...
  9. Some POG scratched my xfire...
My god... I have become a nerd...aaaaahhhhh.

Quick Reply: Claustrophobic Confines?