Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Claustrophobic Confines?

Old 06-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Claustrophobic Confines?

Originally Posted by adoni
At 5'10" I don't feel claustrophobic, but it's not as roomy as my old Sante Fe that I traded for it. I like the headroom it has for me ... my seat is almost all the way down, so it just might be how I sit. Perhaps someone could feel "trapped" because of that HUGE blind spot. I've always driven using my side mirrors, so it just took a little relearning to get use to it. The view out the rearview mirror is a bit "tunnelish" but I still enjoy it. So ... I know people that can't do an MRI because it feels claustrophobic, wait ... that's a topic for the Health forum.
After driving a full size Dodge van, the rear visibility of the Crossfire is not a problem. The curtains on the rear window (courtesy of my better half) make the rear view mirror of the Crossfire a wide screen view.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:24 AM

Shortly after I got my Crossfire a friend and I took it on our annual trip to Cass, West Virginia to ride on the antique steam trains there. On board were;

maps
two small coolers of pop
four cameras with two camera bags
two pairs hiking boots
small suitcase
full Crossfire luggage bag with pockets
two heavy jackets
laptop computer in case with accessories
Celestron telescope in case
motor drive and power supply for telescope
heavy duty tripod for telescope
small trebuchet
bag with weights and tools for trebuchet
can of pipe tobacco with three pipes
four reference books
first aid kit (in trunk pocket for manual)

The drive down was 6 hours and we two over 50 gents didn't feel cramped.
On the way back we stopped at AB Charles' hobby shop in Pittsburgh and picked up a few kits.

Last summer I drove to Atlanta and back (11 hours each way) with no ill effects.

Last year my girlfriend an I went on a three day weekend to the East Broad Top RR., 5 hours each way and she never complained of claustrophobia.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
X'ed, I noticed this happening the other night when I PM'd somebody and I mentioned her Husband Richard, only he goes by the name that starts with Di and ends in ck. Oh and let's not forget Aeroblues Koker spaniel. Anyway, as crazy as all this nonsense is, I guess we are all going to have to start using HOMONYMS, or simply start to intentionally misspell some of those "dangerous" words to get our points across.
I have this cute program that creates motion. You upload a close up of a face, do several steps, and the photo's mouth moves to talk. You put in words you want the person/animal to say. When I used the name (starts with D and ends with K, a message popped up saying it's a "no-no". I had to use Richard instead. So, there are others places "out there" that feel certain words, no matter the context, just can't be used. (sigh).

Sometimes when we are out shopping and "D" is down the aisle somewhere and I need to call to him, I DO feel sort of funny yelling out "D, look at this!" Of course, I don't say "D", I say the OTHER word. LOL

Old 06-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Forum Regular

Although I do not feel claustrophobic in my XF, like Mike, I feel I am in a roomier car when I drive my Miata. Why? I agree it's the lack of view space out the back in the XF. Those big pillars that create huge blind spots do make the car feel like you are in a can, so to speak.

I am so used to driving the XF now, that the blind spots are nearly a bother. At first, I was nervous driving it because of that. But with my little round "blind spot" mirrors placed on my side mirrors, problem solved.

Just my .025639 cents

Last edited by Cissy; 06-04-2006 at 11:09 AM.