Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How many Crossfire owners feel their driving a Mercedes-Benz

Old 06-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: How many Crossfire owners feel their driving a Mercedes-Benz

Originally Posted by viper2ko
I feel like i'm driving a chrysler. I should have gotten the infiniti g35 couple.
LOL yeah that big fat G35 couple. It is already boring looking those couples.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my Crossfire for its best combination of value and German Engineering. BTW, first borns are always special...

Old 06-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by viper2ko
I feel like i'm driving a chrysler. I should have gotten the infiniti g35 couple.
Now can you imagine, Ko parents bought their son a chrysler, all they wanted was a happy son, but it makes him feel like he's driving a chrysler, his future driving experiences will be defined by this car, I think I will be depressed for the whole day.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:29 AM

That's an interesting question, we have two crossfires now, one has completed 44,000 miles and we have enjoyed every minute. The other is new and only has 1,000 miles.
I really like the build quality, and the balance of these cars. I agree that the Chrysler styling is a definite improvement on the Mercedes versions. - we did try out the new 7 speed 350SLK and found it to be not much different to the Crossfire so the Crossfire won on looks, and a better drive.
These are simply great value cars, which the motoring press couldn't really fault, but didn't like because they use tried and tested parts.
My answer to your question is its like driving a Chrysler that has been really well engineered, designed and finally built. - and one shouldn't forget the service departments, ours here in KC has been absolutely first rate. Enjoy !

Old 07-01-2006, 01:17 AM

I chose the crossfire. Just looking back now, the car is having problems, and my parents spent 31 thousand on it. I just don't think we got the features you should get in a 31g car.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ when did you purchase your crossfire ? they are selling for under 23k now brand new in my area... 30k tag... 20k price... go figure... my motor sounds like crap though, so it better be discounted ! hah !

Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having had 8 Chryslers, I can say that this car doesn't look or feel like anything else I've owned or driven (sorry, have not driven a Viper) before. So, while FBD asked a fairly subjective question "do you feel you're driving a MB or Chrysler", I'm taking feel to mean which brand does this car "feel" like. It's not Chrysler of days gone by, but I do think it is the Chrysler of the future - the evolution of the brand.

When I do finally have it home (gotta go get it soon) with the other Chrysler products in the garage, it will be the new member of the Chrysler family and not a distant cousin.

KO...I understand what you are saying about the G35, it's an attractive car, there are many things about that car that I really like, but it is not a Crossfire. Now that's not a qualitative evaluation, but rather a distinction between a two seat sports car (not heavily powered in limited trim) and a 4 seat touring car. If I wanted a back seat, I had plenty of other options. So I'm not sure why you settled on a XF...but then again, you're 17...not a lot of context when it comes to cars and which one fits you. No worries, my son is 16, I wouldn't expect him to have any idea what would fit his style/needs at this point either.

Options missing on the XF? The option to get rid of all the junk I don't need...If it were up to me, i'd like to strip out all the power crap, I can adjust my seat just fine without a motor. I can roll down my windows without a motor, I can adjust my mirrors just fine without a motor. I would have liked 20+ hp, but honestly, it's just fine. I'm not looking to tear up the streets...and I'm not going to the track either, just want to feel a nimble little car that can carve up the corners with confidence the on beautiful back roads of Maryland.

Last edited by Sennaspirit; 07-01-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:36 PM

As a new xfire owner, I can definitely say my reasons for the purchase match many other owners. First & foremost, I would NOT have purchased a Chrysler w/out the MB heritage. My take on Chrysler has been great designs w/mediocre quality. With the SLK320 link, we have a style I love and build quality and engineering I can respect. While not perfect (what is?), the car has met all of my expectations (style, brakes & power) and exceeded them in the handling department.

What sealed the deal was the price - where else can you find a car like this for the price they are going for today?

I exposed what I knew was a weak link when I bent two wheels yesterday - but, where could you put a 19" wheel & tire anyway?

Still, all in all, I love my Crossfire.

Henry & his 05 Base

Old 07-01-2006, 02:45 PM

I think people are lumping a lot of things into the word “engineering”. As an Engineer I can assure you that engineering is pretty much the same no mater where it’s done. I work with engineers from around the world and there’s not a lot of difference. Some are just a little nerdier looking then others…
I think what most people mean when they say engineering, is product or manufacturing philosophy.
Cars are more then just engineering. A business case is made with input from lots of folks like marketing and finance and things like price point and target customers determine final product definition. These things drive the engineering/design. By the time a product goes into the design phase lots of groups have had input and these decisions drive the engineering and manufacturing. As an engineer you are restrained by product definition and cost is a large part of that definition. (Especially with high volume items like cars. 2,000,000 of anything adds up). And making money is why cars are made. The way cars are manufactured is driven by this fact too and that is where you get differences in philosophy. American automotive companies are driven by money men and their financial perspectives have a great deal of impact on the final quality of the design. If you check the hierarchy of the foreign auto companies, you’ll see that their CEO’s are engineers and have actually designed products… as apposed to accountants and business majors, who run the automotive industry in this country.
The cars produced with this philosophy have revenue, not quality or driving experience as their most important ingredient.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:03 PM

Chourse, The engineering may be the same but the application of that engineering certainly does vary.

As a (retired but still registered) engineer myself, I recognize the engineering differences in vehicles. Corporate philosophy dictates which values rule - an accountants or an engineers. The corporate philosophy of MB is "Das Bestest oder nichts", which loosely translates to "The best or nothing". Essentially, I agree with what you are saying. How much clout one side or the other has is what we are talking about, ie, whose desires are paramount? Obviously, no one side wins all of the time, but MB has the reputation of listening to its engineers more often then not. Your point is spot on that many foreign car manufacturers have more ex engineers in management than do the typical American car company.

Even a large volume company like Mazda can get into internal debates over which way to go. Case in point is the Miata - american designers and engineers persuaded Mazda corporate in Japan to make the car that we see. Two small examples: Engineers wanted a rwd 2 seat car. Corporate bean counters wanted to use the 323 fwd platform to save money. Similarly, the accountants wanted to move the engine forward to clear a distributor. Engineers said it had to be as far rearward as possible to get the 50/50 weight distribution, so the engine got a full electronic ignition. Would the car have been as successful? Look at the last Mercury Capri.

Cheers,

Henry

Old 07-01-2006, 10:51 PM

I have always seen most Mercedes owners as either old geezers or trophy wives. I definitely consider my car a Chrysler.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Forum Regular

i may not think i am driving a benz but other benz drivers do ! i was driving home one day and a older guy in a nice champagne benz pulled up and was honking and showing thumbs up to me.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Forum Regular

I drive my Crossfire like it is a Chrysler... no holes barred, wide open... maybe one day I will look at the Crossfire as a MB, but at this time I consider the car to be what it is... it is a car for folks to remember one day, you know it'll be used as a reference point in time... people in 30 years will say "I can remember pulling into the restaurant parking area and there sit the finest automobile I ever seen, it was a Chrysler Crossfire, I sure miss those times." So to me I'm in a Chrysler time machine... hooah

Last edited by FirebaseD; 07-03-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Thumbs up Re: How many Crossfire owners feel their driving a Mercedes-Benz

A GERMAN merc with a BRITISH designer Badged as an AMERICAN chrysler.
Excellent engineering - Brilliant Concept - Outstanding value

What more could you ask for???

Old 07-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Forum Regular

I tell people I drive a Crossfire, not a Chrysler. Its German parts with American styling (by a brit). Its a nice synergy that I bought for $19,500. Can't beat that.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marty1962
A GERMAN merc with a BRITISH designer Badged as an AMERICAN chrysler.
Excellent engineering - Brilliant Concept - Outstanding value

What more could you ask for???
how bout a decent resale value, customer service and mechanics that knows how to fix the cars that they sell. is that too much to ask?

Old 07-06-2006, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by srt6_crossfire
how bout a decent resale value, customer service and mechanics that knows how to fix the cars that they sell. is that too much to ask?
I think holding the 2006 production will help our values people have to hunt for the car now it is becoming rarer. I do not think the service issue is true everywhere. I get great service from my dealer I think you are unfortunate to have a bad dealer.

I also would like to comment on the earlier statement that all engineering is the same. What are you thinking, OK base formulations are the same, but application of such, is different. That is as crazy as saying all doctors are the same. The basics of medicine are, but each Doctor applies them as they want.

Good engineers push the limits, find new ways, discover and invent. Yes I am an engineer and I design and am different that a lot of other engineers.

I want to improve on what is already out there or develop what is not!

I also travel all over the world, I see a huge difference in engineering and the way it is applied in other counties, and have learned from it, I have also seen things I feel is wrong. You can not say all engineering is the same everywhere.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by brhertel
I tell people I drive a Crossfire, not a Chrysler. Its German parts with American styling (by a brit). Its a nice synergy that I bought for $19,500. Can't beat that.
Quite the deal. Was that new?

My used '05 Base (7 months, 6k miles from new) was $17,675, but I certainly would have paid an extra 2k for the limited stuff.

Henry

Old 07-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Napasanaoma
I think holding the 2006 production will help our values people have to hunt for the car now it is becoming rarer. I do not think the service issue is true everywhere. I get great service from my dealer I think you are unfortunate to have a bad dealer.
Rumor has it (through my friend, a DC Service Manager) that there may not even be any 2007 Crossfires!! If that's the case, could 2005 be the last year for these cars? If so, then we have some collector items on our hands, guys.

Old 07-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like I'm driving a Mercedes...Chrysler doesn't make vehicles at this level of quality. I also am convinced that this vehicle is 98% made in Germany. The only sense that this car is American is when you notice a piece or two that is cheapo plastic...and that improperly closing center console.

Quick Reply: How many Crossfire owners feel their driving a Mercedes-Benz