Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How many Crossfire owners feel their driving a Mercedes-Benz

Old 06-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many Crossfire owners feel their driving a Mercedes-Benz

instead of a Chrysler product... or you know your driving a Chrysler and not a Mercedes-Benz... and please give reasons for your reply...

I never think Mercedes-Benz, from day one I was buying and driving a Chrysler automobile. The only time I think of MB is when I see one on the street, or I'm shopping for parts (and that idea came later in time of ownership)... but I do think about who assembled the engine when pushing 145 mph... but I know and feel I'm driving a Chrysler... hooah

Old 06-22-2006, 05:26 AM
Default Re: How many Crossfire owners feel their driving a Mercedes-Benz

FBD,

I see this car as an engineer, I look at the fit, the door hinges, latches, under the hood and I see a lot of German engineering. When I look at the style and the shape I see Chrysler Engineering. I think this is a combination that is awesome. I think Chrysler has been thinking outside the "Box" for quite a while now, good old Lee started this trend.

So we have the best of both worlds, An SLK, In high fashion. I also think we have something unique and is also limited. When I drive I feel German when people comment on the looks its Chrysler.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:43 AM

Daimler bought Chrysler for two main reasons, it's ability to get a new design into the market place faster then anyone else by a wide margin, and for Chrysler's design department, with it's ability to come up with new ideas and shapes that spark the imagination of the public.The PT Cruiser and the Prowler are two good examples of that. In return Diamler gave Chrysler the best engineering that they had at the time, the five speed automatic transmission and a suspension system, although old in design, was far better then anything else developed in the US. I think both companies got some benefit from the deal.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:03 AM

I've had my Crossfire for about a month, I bought it as a Chrysler. I still consider it to be a Chrysler and I couldn't really understand why the whole MB thing was pushed so much by salesmen and others, but I must admit that when and where I grew up, we bought "American cars". I know that today that is an unrealistic point of view, but old opinions are hard to change. That being said, I loved the XF styling from the first time I saw it at the Cleveland car show as a concept, that is what drew me to the car originally and I still think it is great, but when I drove one for the first time. That's when I knew I was getting one. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I still consider it a Chrysler, but I feel like I'm driving a Mercedes and I have a newfound appreciation for German engineering.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:22 AM

I am not sure that you can think of it as either a Mercedes-Benz or a Chrysler. It really is a little of both. It doesn't really handle like a Mercedes-Benz in my opinion or any Chrysler I have driven either. To some extent I feel like I am driving something unique and special. Since I first saw the concept vehicle at the auto show in Cleveland a few years ago I have loved the looks and style of the car. I guess I think of it as the best of both Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz and not just one or the other.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 AM

My Crossfire has the crappy design quality of my '72 Mercury Capri and the crappy build quality of my '77 Dodge van combined with customer support from the uncaring.

My '92 Mitsubishi Eclipse (built on a Chrysler assembly line in the midwest) was a great car, still going fast comfortably until it was fatally shortened by a woman on a cell phone after 12 years and 142,000 miles.

The only time I think of my Crossfire as a Mercedes is when I try to get one of it's many defects repaired and I'm told that "everything is within specifications".

Old 06-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Forum Regular

I've owned numerous Jeeps and Chryslers and every time I get into the XF I think of it as a MB (which I've also owned). The quality of the interior on this car is far superior to that of the current Chrysler lineup. Its a shame that as nice and popular as the 300's are the interior plastics are as cheap as they are. The feel is just not up to the feel of the XF's. I see the car as totally a MB physically with Chrysler styling input.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:45 PM

I have also owned both Chrysler and MB vehicles and still do. The engineering of the XF is without question much closer to the Benz. The design of the car, though, is something else entirely. It is neither MB nor Chrysler--it is absolutely unique in its price range and has real American flair to boot. So I think we have the best of both worlds. Now if only DCX would act accordingly and learn how to service these vehicles properly, then I imagine it would keep lots more of its customers much happier than they are today.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Forum Regular

The only reason I even looked at the car was its a mercedes. been driving a mercedes for 20+ years and the price was right on the crossfire.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've owned other Mopar vehicles but can't compare my XF to those. i've never owned a Mercedes so I have no point of reference.

Until I did research on the XF I never knew it was a partnership, so ...

I am driving a CROSSFIRE ... the best of both worlds!

Old 06-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

I've owned Mercedes, BMW, Saab, Cadillac, Porsche, and the Crossfire is up there with the best of them as far as build quality and its second only to my Porsche in fun factor.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular

I have owned two other Chryslers and drove a M-B sedan for 12 years. The controls all seemed to fall in place like my old Benz. It was like coming home - the switches, turn signals stalk and the cruise control. I don't find it to be much like the Chryslers I have had in the past.

My only beef is the carpeting and some of the interior trim is not as nice as I had expected. The door panels are kinda tacky especially the door pull surround. However, it is a sports car and not a sedan so it can be a little more spartan - then again for the money I paid... DC could have at least made the nice carpet floor mats standard.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I knew it was MB powertrain before I bought it.
I feel I is a german built car with american influence.
I think it is a great combination, that is why I bought it.
I am a die hard Mopar man, I always wanted a viper.
The funny thing is I always wanted an SL 55 too.
For me It was a no brainer as I can actually afford this one.
Oh, back on topic, I feel I am driving a german MB product that was designed by american chrysler.
I wish they would have kept some of the little features that the MB has like the venting side windows and such.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
instead of a Chrysler product... or you know your driving a Chrysler and not a Mercedes-Benz... and please give reasons for your reply...
Well the reality is that you are driving a Mercedes regardless of badging and skin. It feels like a Mercedes to me. I test drove some used SLKs prior and it feels similar, but the Crossfire feels a little stiffer and a little more nailed to the ground. Probably because of the different wheels/tires.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:24 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Napasanaoma
I see this car as an engineer, I look at the fit, the door hinges, latches, under the hood and I see a lot of German engineering. When I look at the style and the shape I see Chrysler Engineering.
Me too! If people ask me what car it is, it's a CROSSFIRE. If this is not enough then the explanation starts: MB R170 with new car body made by Karmann.
If I look at the car, I see Chrysler. If I drive it, I feel MB Engineering.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
km.jpg (95.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Forum Regular

All,
I am proud of the fact that I am driving a Chrysler Crossfire. Chrysler has some of the best styling in the automotive business today and their future products should continue this dominance.
Choosing the SLK platform for the Crossfire was a very smart move as it was quite stiff and relatively light. Those with coupes will find it to be significantly stiffer than the SLK and those with roadsters should find it to be about the same.
Kudos to the Chrysler design team for designing the best looking Mercedes SLK to ever hit the street! How's that for the best of both worlds?

Kevin

Old 06-24-2006, 07:57 AM

I bought a Chrysler Crossfire and I drive a Chrysler Crossfire. I have never thought of it as a MB.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce R.
Daimler bought Chrysler for two main reasons, it's ability to get a new design into the market place faster then anyone else by a wide margin, and for Chrysler's design department, with it's ability to come up with new ideas and shapes that spark the imagination of the public.The PT Cruiser and the Prowler are two good examples of that. In return Diamler gave Chrysler the best engineering that they had at the time, the five speed automatic transmission and a suspension system, although old in design, was far better then anything else developed in the US. I think both companies got some benefit from the deal.
No German company would EVER admit that ANY other nation is out-designing or out-engineering them. Verboten! Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler for market access, period. This is because Americans will, in general, always buy American first, and because of the established dealer network.

Yes, the Chrysler team has done some clever styling work over the last 10-15 years, but the Daimler folks could hire that with far greater flexibility -- if that's what they wanted -- and far lower liability from any number of European design houses (Ital Design, IDEA, etc.).

Rob Gold

Old 06-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never owned or driven a MB so I can't compare them or say I feel one way or the other but...
I bought the coolest car I had seen in years and the Badge was only important to me as far as quality, I knew who built it and where and I guess that was a BIG plus. The problem comes from dealerships that have not bought into the MB way and don't invest in the training. They have the tooling because DC gives you no choice but training is another subject.
So what do I feel like I am driving ?
The coolest car around !!! My opinion...

Old 06-24-2006, 02:23 PM

I feel like i'm driving a chrysler. I should have gotten the infiniti g35 couple.

Quick Reply: How many Crossfire owners feel their driving a Mercedes-Benz