Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How fast have you been in your Crossfire?

Old 08-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: How fast have you been in your Crossfire?

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
Derek, I was thinking the same thing about the aero necessities after reading you posting in the racing section. You seriously should not be experiencing that kind of rear end lifting that you indicated (while being double passed I believe). I imagine that you have some Class restrictions on aero changes. As always, let us know what you do about the situation.
I have one point more before I get reclassed to TTC... No more modifications until I run the full season next year to see if I can take home some trophies in TTD... I think the car is perfect now... I went head to head with a (race prep) Lotus Elise this weekend and barely beat him at the finish line. The Elise is classed in TTA and I'm three classes down from them.

video...
http://www.hollywooddigitalimaging.c...fire_Lotus.mov

Just need some sponsors now, this stuff is expensive !!!

Old 08-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derek, do you think you can get away with a STR front cover? It's OEM and they may not hold it against you.
I know the cover has a list price under $300.
Would the lower front air dam help keep the car planted a little better? I know simple changes up front can reduce lift.

What about the larger SRT rear spoiler? If it's not too expensive and won't cost any more points, maybe it'll help.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: How fast have you been in your Crossfire?

I have an 05' Black XF, love the car just got it in March. I had it at 145 - 150 mph on the Long Island Expressway (495) NY in the middle of the night. It could go faster did not want my first speeding ticket.

Rich P.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by feets
Derek, do you think you can get away with a STR front cover? It's OEM and they may not hold it against you.
I know the cover has a list price under $300.
Would the lower front air dam help keep the car planted a little better? I know simple changes up front can reduce lift.

What about the larger SRT rear spoiler? If it's not too expensive and won't cost any more points, maybe it'll help.
Feets: If you are referring to the chin spoiler from the SRT6, I already have one installed (for over a year now) take a look at my early racing photos circa 2004 vs the recent. As far as the rear wing, I will get "dinged" for class points (7, I believe) for any other wing besides the OEM. I only have 1 more point in modifications before I get re-classed. So, I would rather be in the top end of TTD than the bottom end of TTC...

I don't think I need any additional down force from the rear... If anything, I'm fighting a bit of under-steer. This too will be worked-out...

Thanks for the input though...

Old 08-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my Crossfire up to 145 mph. I'm looking for the opportunity to
run up to top speed. But the time it took to back down from 145 to 50 mph
has left me looking for a stretch of road that is straight for several miles,
flat, and unencumbered by cops or slow moving traffic.

Coyote

Old 08-16-2006, 11:09 AM

I hear you on that, I noticed that as well slowing down took a while. Now you have the SRT model right?? how quick is that car of the line? Is yours a 6 spd? mine is and I can't wait to make it breath better (less restrictions you know) cold air intakes, Muffler, chip upgrade, looking forward to it...
RP... NY

Old 08-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rpalacios
I hear you on that, I noticed that as well slowing down took a while. Now you have the SRT model right?? how quick is that car of the line? Is yours a 6 spd? mine is and I can't wait to make it breath better (less restrictions you know) cold air intakes, Muffler, chip upgrade, looking forward to it...
RP... NY
Yes, I have an SRT6, which in all cases is an automatic (stock). I'm also
looking forward to adding the chip and pulley mods, but am waiting for
the warranty to expire. The service reps would probably never notice, but
why take the chance. Warranty will expire in another 5k anyway.

Coyote

Old 08-16-2006, 11:44 AM

Hit 130 mph in Vermont, slight incline. Will go faster. Smooth ride.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 AM

Excellent, keep me updated with your upgrades any ideas and information are welcomed.
RP-NY

Old 08-16-2006, 04:29 PM

On a trip this year to Barrett Jackson, found an open stretch off road and hit 120. The car was well planted and smooth.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:42 PM

Yeah I hear you on that, the car was planted and no vibration at all @ 145. I'm sure @ 160 it would behave the same, but here on Long Island hard to find a spot to open it up either it's traffic or cops...
RP-NY

Old 08-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Smile Re: How fast have you been in your Crossfire?

70 MPH ~ I stay within the speed zones ~ why speed and chance a fine for speeding ~ anyway ~ I have nothing to prove by seeing how fast the car will go...

Old 08-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Really well good for you, I guess it helps having a Police Officer in the family. So if you have nothing to prove or as I call it (have fun) why own a sports car...
RP-NY

Old 08-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like there are a number of candidates for future episodes of Cops...

Most people drive sports cars because of handling and driving enjoyment...that doesn't necessarily include running at speeds in excess of 140 MPH. I agree with HDDP, if you are going to drive at those speeds, do it on a track.

Thinking that the car is stable at 160 MPH is a dream that could turn into a nightmare with a slight twitch of the steering wheel or sudden decompression of a tire (blowout).

Last edited by SRT SIX; 08-16-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 PM

I complete understand you are right about that, it was just a quick moment of excitement of having a new vehicle. I joined this forum because as you, I own a XF and have become part of a family of owners who enjoy this vehicle.
But it never fails, somebody always has something to say and add a negative spin on things and put their 2 cents where it really was not asked for...

Old 08-20-2006, 08:17 PM

rpalacios. I agree with you on the negative stuff. I already went around with one of those guys. Its best to agree with them and not argue. We all have our own idea of fun and should do what we want. Smoke in bed, drive 100.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Forum Regular

On a stretch that is known for drivers opening up just south of Orlando on I4 while I was driving to meet fellow Crossfire owners for our GTG, I was able to take her to 109 MPH but only because I followed a BMW 7 series. I would normally never go that fast but what else was I going to do but join along?

Was I scared? Nope - had the ride of my life and a smile that felt like it would never go away. I was amazed at how the car handled, and how much it still had to give!!

Will I do that again? Nope... not on open road... but thankfully there were not many cars on the road or else I would not have done it!

Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
Derek, I was thinking the same thing about the aero necessities after reading you posting in the racing section. You seriously should not be experiencing that kind of rear end lifting that you indicated (while being double passed I believe). I imagine that you have some Class restrictions on aero changes. As always, let us know what you do about the situation.
Senna. Take a look at the profile of the front fascia of the car (and this is the SRT6 transplant fascia). From this photo you can see clearly that it turns up and does nothing for downforce. Not good aero in my opinion. I'm going to see if I can build a full front aero piece that helps this pathetic front end. And I might have to bite the bullet and put some stupid wing on the back as the HP / speeds continually increase.

Last edited by HDDP; 08-20-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Thumbs up Re: How fast have you been in your Crossfire?

Hey I am from Germany.
And out here I had em a several times around the 245 KM/H I don't know how much it is in Miles but I won't go faster and that with a Roadster.
I also drove one crossfire from startech and had 290 KM/H on my dash.

But hey I like the American way of driving: CRUISING.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
good to hear of your fully legal speed escapade... hehe no one can scream at you for it ah how i wish the department of transportation in the US was as forward thinking as that of Germany... but we can't cause we have so many dam morons in the US that would think no speed limit means they can take their car that is riding on a spare tire up to 150 mph at which point it would jettison the spare into oncoming traffic blowing up a school bus all while the 3 wheeling car dog leg slides into a kindergarten house killing dozens yet somehow the driver survives and decides to sue the car manufacturer for letting the car out with a badly designed donut not able to sustain normal highway speeds...

oh well ... maybe one day we'll find a way to work around those people so the rest of us can have a less restricted country...

Quick Reply: How fast have you been in your Crossfire?