Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfires are junk on wheels...

Old 09-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossfires are junk on wheels...

You have a right to be upset if the dealer won't/can't fix your problem. You laid down a fair piece of money. I do love my Crossfire- see post down below.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firebase I understand your frustration but I have to disagree. I've had 3 Chrysler products since early 2001 and the have all been way beyond my expectations. I will share an experience with you. In 1985 my Honda Accord conked out about 3 days before our annual trip to the beach. I decided it was time for some new wheels and there was an '85 Monte Carlo staring at me every morning when I went to work. It was beautiful, light gold, wire wheels. So that evening I went to the dealer cut a deal and drove it home. The next day the check engine light came on while I was making my sales rounds (the car was new). I took it to the dealer and they did something and sent me on my way. On the way to the beach I could smell something burning and the clock stopped working. This continued for the entire week at the beach. When we got home I took it back in. No problem found, could not duplicate.
This went on until I finally went in and got the owner. He sat in the car, I turned it on and the smell of burning plastic was very noticeable. he looked at me and said I can't see any smoke, if I can't see it then I can't fix it. I said you are not going to fix it? No. I traded the car in about a month later on a new Maxima and never looked back, the dealer, about a year later went out of business. I also had a plethora of problems with my new 1979 Corvette. So I know how you feel. I'll never buy another GM product, ever. My Crossfire has been a great car so far. I like it better than any Z car I've owned and it is as much fun as my '69 1/2 and Z-28. I'm sorry you are having problems because it makes the experience no fun. I feel for you.

Pat

Old 09-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Forum Regular

This is the bottom line at the dealerships after you purchase your new Crossfire and you ask for a warranty repair... this is no joke, this is the bottom line... hooah

*The dealership in the image is not the dealership where I purchased my Crossfire, it is only used as a background filler.... stated so no one is mis-led by the image.

Last edited by FirebaseD; 09-07-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Forum Regular

I know what you mean about never buying another GM product. I own 4 GM vehicles and will never buy another myself. Not after seeing the quality of the crossfire, there's no going back now!

Old 09-07-2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by dynamicS
I know what you mean about never buying another GM product. I own 4 GM vehicles and will never buy another myself. Not after seeing the quality of the crossfire, there's no going back now!
Really? My '98 Grand Prix seemed bulletproof compared to this car.

I'd have to ALMOST agree with Firebase...

Hell, you twist your butt wrong in the seat and you'll wear our the finish on the seat and console on these cars. Not to mention, there is nothing good about the electrical system on these cars, other than how easy it is to run your own. I'm not even going to go into how this car found a way to rust in AZ, which isn't covered under warranty but requires both doors to be replaced.

I wouldn't consider these cars "crap", but the limited (what I drive) sure isn't worth anymore than what I paid for it new ($20k). It just LOOKS like a car valued at the MSRP, which I guess says even more about me.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After being followed tonight by a yellow Porsche Boxster named " DSY " I feel that my Crossfire is still superior in looks and has all the goodies of a purdy car! I can flap my wings, big tires (19" front and 20" rear) chrome dress up and a V8 ish muffler...and of course, the Mercedes platform. I got all the attention than the Porsche behind me.

I have big problems too like my big wheels rubbing big time on my wheel well but I fixed it! And once it's fixed...the problems gone!

My problem with the dealership service which really suck before...it's fixed now after they realized that they'll get a bad survey. Now, I'm getting a loaner everytime I brought my XFIREX to them! And this is how they tell me "Since you bought this kind of car, I want you to know that we can provide you a loaner while your car is in service".

To me that's a royal treatment because they realize that this ain't just an ordinary car in their lineup (I dunno if the price drop can affect their service).

Old 09-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Forum Regular
Cool Re: Crossfires are junk on wheels...

FirebaseD I've read your past posts from praising the Crossfire and flying the American ingenuity up the pole to now condemning as you drag it thought the mud. Granted you are having some issues with your car and your dealership, especially your dealership, but i have seen your other post and I think you liked your car before this latest issue. So don't roll over, stand up and kick some dealership @ss and get that car fixed right.

Don't become a whiner or quitter now.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Forum Regular

OH brother am I kickin azz in the real world... you just do not know... I'm knockin around on the forum, but in real world I am knockin heads... I have not seen my Crossfire since the 24th of Sept, it is at the dealership.

I got my state AG lookin over my shoulder after filing Lemon Law.

I got the Federal Government on standby due to I filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

I put Chrysler Financial on notice and got a knee jerk (they actually contacted DaimlerChrysler and ask what was goin on) - I researched a law suit that allows me to sue Chrysler Financial "SUPREME COURT OF APPEALS OF WEST VIRGINIA - Civil Action No. 91-C-997" "The buyer can assert a claim of defective product as a defense to the assignee's suit to collect the balance owed. Ordinarily, this must be done as a defense or setoff to the assignee's claim. However, if the assignee does not institute suit, the buyer may do so to obtain cancellation of the debt."

I have filed Lemon Law demanding a replacement Crossfire from DaimlerChrysler.

On the 1st of Aug the dealership tried to pass it off to me, but I refused to take delivery of the Crossfire.
They were claiming no electrically short located within the dash board area of my Crossfire.
Refusing to view the video (clearly demonstrating the short opening and closing), the DM stating "video can be doctored" (go figure).
So I mailed off written notices to my state AG and DaimlerChrysler (with url link to the video).
Updated the Feds complaint adding the headlamp covers (see the start of the thread for pictures of the headlamp problem) because Chrysler refuses to admit any problems in that area (once again refusing to view the photos) and I included a url link to photos.

There is more to tell, but I just wanted you to know I am not setting on my hands.

Now I don't really think I'm going to get anywhere with all the noise, but I'm going to make all the noise I can. Hooah

Old 09-08-2006, 02:38 AM

I owned my first Benz for 23 years, and though it wasn't perfect at the beginning and had problems from time to time, it was unbelievably reliable and economical compared to any alternative. My Xfire is a Benz, if you really know the car. It has some of the same quirks and assets I've known for years. As a knock-off Benz, I don't see any long term resale value. Just enjoy it for what it is, a great sportscar. One bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 PM

You got the Lemon man, sorry about that.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Forum Regular
Cool Re: Crossfires are junk on wheels...

That's the FirebaseD we have all come to know and appreciate. Give them Hell and make them replace that car with a new one. I do know how you feel, I went through the same thing with Ford on two pickups. I am now convinced that the Check engine light on a Ford is mislabeled; it should read FOR SALE. I lost more on those trucks because Ford could fix the problem then our car has depreciated. Incompetence is frustrating, but don't get discouraged, the Crossfire is still a sweet looking ride.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:42 PM

I've had my 2004 Xfire red coupe 16,000 and zero problems...I have a 2000 Durango and a 1997 Dakota pickup...all these Chrysler products have been completely reliable..would buy a Chrysler product again for sure.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Forum Regular

Just another reason not to purchase a Crossfire... and if you still think you love it, then you best slow down in the curves... or wear a helmet.

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=1228&scid=174

Safety activists say federal standards are too lax.

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau
WASHINGTON -- Last year, federal safety officials proposed strengthening a 35-year-old vehicle roof strength standard after studying the contentious issue for more than a decade.

New rules proposed

NHTSA's proposed standard would require that a vehicle roof withstand a force equal to 2.5 times the vehicle weight while maintaining sufficient head room for a buckled-in average size adult male to avoid being struck -- up from the current 1.5 times standard.

Chrysler, which met with NHTSA on April 13 to lay out its concerns.

Requiring the Dodge Viper and Chrysler Crossfire to meet the new rules "is not reasonable, practical or appropriate," said Stephen J. Speth, director of Chrysler's vehicle compliance and safety affairs.

DaimlerChrysler said just 37 percent of its current vehicle lineup pass the new rules.

***My 2 cent: The Crossfire is not part of the 37 percent stated by DaimlerChrysler. Hooah

Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Forum Regular

All the reason for you to get rid of the death machine that is sucking the very life right out of you.

No matter...I'll take my chances...I'll just have to opt for a closed casket!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:14 AM

I agree with Golfergal, get rid of the dead weight and let the rest of us enjoy our car!!!

Sorry your purchase was a lost cause.

Semper Fi!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by golfergal
the death machine that is sucking the very life right out of you.
Is not, and that is not true... but I do feel weak for some strange reason...I need to lay down I think...

Old 09-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Punkin
I agree with Golfergal, get rid of the dead weight and let the rest of us enjoy our car!!!
Semper Fi!
What would you recommend I do with it Marine? I know what your thinkin but it will not fit... hooah.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:40 AM

Do you think the Corvair owners cared what Ralph Nader had to say? I doubt it.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
What would you recommend I do with it Marine? I know what your thinkin but it will not fit... hooah.
You could trade it in on a Kia.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FB, thanks again for another spirited post. I actually hate mine too. I wish it had reclining seats so I could sleep in it and get a little more seat time.

Sorry you're having trouble bud. As far as the headlights are concerned, I gave them a good polishing (3M Lens Polish) per Patpur recommendations and I've never had that fogging issue again. My lens looked exactly like yours. Might give it a try.

Once again, the master of photo shop made me laugh again! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Crossfires are junk on wheels...