Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfires are junk on wheels...

Old 09-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossfires are junk on wheels...

Let's see...wet headlamp lenses, a chattering CD (maybe it doesn't want you listening to that CD), and something weird in the glove box. Those are frustrating problems, if you let it grate on you, but how does it drive? How does it handle? How does it respond when you whip through a hairpin posted for 35 at 70???

If the answer to these questions is that it handles like a '63 Beetle with bad king pins, and drives like a garbage truck on an unpaved road, and the best you can manage on a winding road is 7 MPH, and 28 on straight-aways, then you have a piece of junk on wheels. I haven't even heard anything that remotely indicates junk on wheels...not even close.

Nope...mine's definitely a keeper. However, if my CD starts chattering I'm trashing the beast...so I can install an XM receiver.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular

Gee, What can I say. 40,000 miles and it still purrs. Please don't talk so badly about my love (hope my wife never sees this). I think the Crossfire is a great car. I'm sorry you are unhappy with yours. Hope you get things worked out.
Good luck.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Forum Regular

if everyone is so happy who replied to this thread with their crossfire...someone certainly must be interested in another.

support my viper or slk55 fund and buy my crossfire.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Forum Regular

I - love - my - crossfire.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by donnycross
It sound to me, being in the service bus, the problem is more with the service department and the district manager. There is always a way to go over there heads and with a problem that is that easy to see, would have to be covered and taken care of. If they're not taking care of you try another service department or call chrysler direct at the 800 number.
I hate to burst your bubble, but Chrysler service is crap. Once you go to the Service Manager, the Dealership Owner and finally the District Service Manager, you have reached the end of Chrysler involvement with your car, unless you lemon law it. The District Service Manager has the final say. The Chrysler customer service 800 number is worthless. All they will do for you is contact the dealer, find out their side of the story and get back to you telling you what you already know. They will not elevate your issue or give out phone numbers to someone that might be able to help you.

Been there and done it all. I speak from experience... I've had just about every problem you can have with the Crossfire, from a transmission swap, a rear end replaced and most issues in between. I got most of them fixed, but for the most part it was always an uphill fight.

Do some searches on Chrysler service. There have been a handful of members that spouted off that they had an inside line to the higher ups in Chrysler to get their issues resolved. None of them have ever shared a name or phone number with other members that needed help.

I do like my car, it is a keeper but as I've said in the past... "the Crossfire being sold and serviced by Chrysler is a three ring circus all in one ring".

Old 09-06-2006, 09:46 PM

I agree with most all of the posts except for the original!

Mine is 14 months old, has 13K miles and running great, no problems!

Cheers.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ben47
I hate to burst your bubble, but Chrysler service is crap. Once you go to the Service Manager, the Dealership Owner and finally the District Service Manager, you have reached the end of Chrysler involvement with your car, unless you lemon law it. The District Service Manager has the final say. The Chrysler customer service 800 number is worthless. All they will do for you is contact the dealer, find out their side of the story and get back to you telling you what you already know. They will not elevate your issue or give out phone numbers to someone that might be able to help you.

Been there and done it all. I speak from experience... I've had just about every problem you can have with the Crossfire, from a transmission swap, a rear end replaced and most issues in between. I got most of them fixed, but for the most part it was always an uphill fight.

Do some searches on Chrysler service. There have been a handful of members that spouted off that they had an inside line to the higher ups in Chrysler to get their issues resolved. None of them have ever shared a name or phone number with other members that needed help.

I do like my car, it is a keeper but as I've said in the past... "the Crossfire being sold and serviced by Chrysler is a three ring circus all in one ring".
Every service department is different and some are crap like a couple around mine. However they all aren't. That's why I said try another dealership. I've had good district manager and bad, but if you fine a good service department you should have no problems getting anything taken care of as long as it's not physical damage and it actually is a warranty item.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Hooah is leaving again?
or will he resurface as a hooter?

I will say I have had excellent Chrysler service for the few times i have been there.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Talking Re: Crossfires are junk on wheels...

Originally Posted by typhoon55
Hooah is leaving again?
or will he resurface as a hooter?

That is a great place to eat burgers!

Old 09-06-2006, 10:52 PM

i got to say as an owner who lemon'd my base crossfire this replacement limited hasn't had many problems neither has my other limited.

ONLY:

-Broken cupholder
-Headlamps were replaced without my request when i picked up the car i noticed them on my service record and also when looking at the car but it didn't need it
-My fog lamp burned out
-My tranny leaked because of a faulty seal
-Cooling fan replacement under recall

Other than that it's been a great daily driver with no hiccups or problems

Its got more to do with the Service Techs than with the car itself. This car is identical to the SLK 320 and if you speak to some of those owners yes they probably have had issues with their cars but they've been taken care of with one visit to the dealer not 50 like us and it never gets fixed. So yes it has to do with the lack of knowledge of the car not the car itself.

Take it to a independent Benz mechanic and you'll see how well your crossfire will run after the factory warranty runs out. Chrysler dealers are treating this GERMAN CAR like an AMERICAN CAR and that's their FIRST BIG MISTAKE. They have to get it through their heads that this car is NOT AMERICAN

Last edited by BullFrog; 09-06-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

When it comes to service, remember most American dealers are flat rate and have 2-3 A Technicians and the rest are kids out of tech school if you are lucky.

That means 2-3 well paid guys and a bunch of minimum wage guys learning how to fix cars on your dime.
Think about it.
Sad but true.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:20 PM

Well let me first just say that I’m sorry to hear that you have had such a poor experience with your Crossfire. I understand your level of anger, but don’t “dump in everyone else’s corn flakes.” With that being said, I’m 35 years old, my father was an auto mechanic for over 20 years, I used to work in a Ford dealership parts department for 5 years, and I also sold Chryslers, Jeeps, and Dodges for over a year. (During the time the Crossfire was debuted.) I have been around cars all of my life and I can honestly say that I don’t know how any of them run for more than 2 days with all of the things that can go wrong with them?!?!

Before I bought my Crossfire I looked at a wide selection of cars, S2000’s, RX8’s, 350Z’s, and so on and so on. Let me say that I researched to the point of being a “Car-aholic”. The reviews and forums all have praise and problems abound, the RX8’s have the chance of flooding if you shut them off after a short drive, and the 350Z’s have a horrible front tire were problem. And personally, the Honda S2000 although fun to drive, was not comfortable for a daily driver and felt like the engine could grenade itself at any moment because you have to rev it so high.(I know it’s meant to be that way.) The Crossfire was the last car I test drove, it wasn’t however the fastest car out of all of them, but it was the most comfortable and confident. I made a huge technology jump from a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere, to a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire; it’s really nice to have A/C now, among other things. The fact that the car has no trade–in or resale value is disappointing, but since I’m keeping mine it’s a mute point.

Let’s face it, it flat out sucks to be unhappy with your car. I hope that you can resolve you car dilemma either by getting out of it, or by getting someone to listen to you so you can have it repaired to your satisfaction.

Best of luck, now I’m going to go for a drive . . .

Old 09-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely "NOBODY" can stir things up better than Firebase. The guy is a master, there is no two ways about it.

Firebase, if you're really that fed up with your car, it's understandable. Sometimes all it takes is a few problems to make a relationship go sour.

But if you just posted to get the forum all fumed up, while you kick back and have a good laugh over everybody's response... Well, that wouldn't surprise me either.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Forum Regular

I do not care how much you folks beat me up... I'm not going to take back what I said about the Crossfire... I'm sorry I'm just not going to take it back... so there. hooah

Yes I do enjoy watching people get upset... heII it's what I do best, **** people off... makes my world go around... and besides I been in and out of the forum for the past couple of weeks, and from reading the post, you would think someone died... but not now... people jumping around like I slapped the kid or something... OK so maybe I did...

Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
Yes I do enjoy watching people get upset... heII it's what I do best, **** people off... makes my world go around... and besides I been in and out of the forum for the past couple of weeks, and from reading the post, you would think someone died... but not now... people jumping around like I slapped the kid or something... OK so maybe I did...
LOL...You're still "The MAN" big guy.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
I do not care how much you folks beat me up... I'm not going to take back what I said about the Crossfire... I'm sorry I'm just not going to take it back... so there. hooah

For the record, I'm not upset nor pissed of, and no, I don't feel as if you slapped my kid.

My perspective on life is to celebrate the things that I enjoy and love. Why waste energy on the negativity about your car? If you hate the junk mobile so much, sell it, suck up whatever loss you figure you got on the price, and buy a car that you can enjoy driving...

Old 09-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Forum Regular

I got one last thing to say about owning a Crossfire before I call it a night... (please click the link below to hear my thoughts)...

http://photos.imageevent.com/firebas.../Help%20Me.wmv

Old 09-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

LOL at this thread. Looks at hunk of junk gleaming in garage. Loves junk. LOL.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular

One and a tenth of a message leads of four pages of messages, glad to see that the first message I read after coming back from a 4 month trip overseas is a real firestarter but I must say, I'm very impressed at this crowd for not turning this into a real flamer.

I certainly bought the right car judging by the crowd here.

Just to chime in, I was one of the first NJ Crossfires on the road, 3+ years and counting. Also one of the first problems encountered the day I took the car out of the showroom, one of those "mysterious warning lamp" problems, check the real old archives to read all about it.

All I can say is the car's great, when there was the problem, Germany was on the phone with my dealer's mechanic to solve the problem together with a service technician from the regional Chrysler office. So nobody is going to tell me that Chrysler can't fix a car right.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:37 PM

I've had mine a year and no trouble what so ever. My dealer, Greene Ford/ Chrysler in Abilene Kansas is excellent. I love driving the car. The longest trip was to Nacogdoches Texas (rd. trip 1,200 miles) and back with cruise set@ 75-80 MPH and Mpg of 28, what's not to love. One minor issue with the cup holder but the dealer resolved that quickly. The fan recall was taken care of painlessly too. I only have 5,400 miles on the car and it is quality. My dad's a Ford man and he is very impressed with the Crossfire. The car is a red limited '05. I am a teacher and coach and certainly do not work for Chrysler/Mercedes. They do have a black roadster with 9,000 miles at Abilene for $25,000 it is a sweet looking car. I enjoy the car. The only thing I'm apprehensive about is no spare, but in 30 yrs of driving and no flat I guess I shouldn't worry. I feel the quality of dealer does make a difference with the happiness of the car. Take care!

Quick Reply: Crossfires are junk on wheels...