Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Blinking gas light?

Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking gas light?

This is a new one...

So I'm driving to work today with a 3/4 full tank of gas and the gas light comes on and starts blinking. I looked at the owner manual and there doesn't seem to be another function of the gas light other than a low tank warning light... so should I assume that the light is broken?

Is the gas light supposed to blink? I've only owned my car for three weeks so far, and never let the gas tank go down past 1/4 so I'm not sure if the gas light is supposed to blink or not.

It's actually good timing. I'm taking my XFire to the dealership today after work to transfer the warranty, so I'll be able to ask about it. But since the service mechanics are clueless, do any of you have an idea?

Old 10-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Blinking gas light?

That's an alert. Everytime the price of gas drops in the region you are in the light blinks to alert you.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:44 PM

I just had this happen to me this morning. I had about 1/3 full tank. About 15-20 minutes into my commute, I was stopped at a traffic light, and the gas lights started blinking. It stopped about 5 minutes later. When you brought it in were they able to figure out what the problem was?

Old 01-22-2007, 03:20 PM

It's happened about 3 more times since the first time in October. Always in the same exact location. After I get off the highway and stop at the light which is down a hill. I never asked anyone about it. It doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:03 AM

Most tank sensors read different downhill from uphill.

My drive is downhill and if I saw the light come on in the morning I knew I had two days of to work and back before it would stay on level ground.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:16 PM

This is so strange. It happened to me this afternoon at a stop light waiting to turn. The ground was level and I had just over 3/4 of a tank. I thought it might mean the bulb is going out? If anyone finds out, please post as I am now somewhat concerned about my "baby".

Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 PM

I got a call this morning from my friend who owns a '05 limited coupe. She said that after starting off for work this morning, her gas slight started to blink. Her tank was full of gas. Although I have not personally experienced this problem, I am curious as to what this means. Is there some other common element (other than the blinking gas light itself) to each occurrence that we are missing? Perhaps weather? It was actually pretty cold here (for North Florida) this morning at about 28 degrees. Any other thoughts?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:32 PM

Does anyone know what causes this? I have the low fuel light blinking on my 2005 Coupe in the same manner you have. I'm driving along and all the sudden it comes on and flashes for a few minutes then goes out. The tank is full of gas at this time. It's happened 5 times in the last month and I've had it in and out of the dealer each time. They are telling me there is nothing wrong and obviously there is. Help??

Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking it might be the crossfire demons !!!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:25 AM

It has happened to me three times. The first two times were one month apart at the same intersection. I thought it might be a sensor at the intersection that was causing it to go off? But then it happened this past weekend at a different intersection, it started blinking and the check engine light came on. After two days and several starts, the check engine light remained on and the flashing gas light remained off. I took it in and was diagnosed with an "evaporative emissions" code. In lay terms, loose gas cap. Now I am wondering if the flashing low fuel light has a link to the gas cap being loose, or if it is a short? The dealer hasn't a clue what I am talking about and seems unconcerned about the whole thing.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

While perusing the MB forums, there were several discussions of over-filling when getting gas. It seems that if you keep pumping to get it as full as possible, the excess saturates the evaporative canister, which triggers these types of things. According to them, it has even kept the vehicle from starting and running, or not running very well. It takes it some time to correct itself and dry the canister. It is a known problem with the MB group.

I don't know if that is what is happening here, or if it even applies, but may be something to consider the next time you fill up. And I always make sure the cap clicks two or three times when putting it back on. Just something else to consider as a possibility.

Last edited by danimal; 03-07-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to resurrect this thread since I didn't find an answer in my searches. Yesterday, with nearly a full tank of gas, my gas light started blinking when I came to a stop. It went away when I restarted the car. Shortly before I got home, it started blinking as I was driving, then the check engine light came on as well.

I see this question has come up before, but no answers as to what causes it. It would seem MB would have intentionally programmed this, so, how can no one know what it means?

Has anyone ever found an answer to this?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Joliet John
Time to resurrect this thread since I didn't find an answer in my searches. Yesterday, with nearly a full tank of gas, my gas light started blinking when I came to a stop. It went away when I restarted the car. Shortly before I got home, it started blinking as I was driving, then the check engine light came on as well.

I see this question has come up before, but no answers as to what causes it. It would seem MB would have intentionally programmed this, so, how can no one know what it means?

Has anyone ever found an answer to this?
I'll take a stab at this and suggest the fuel level sending unit is at fault. The check engine light should have a code number set, probably P0460 to P0464.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-06-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the blinking fuel icon and it was always paired with check engine codes PO455 evap emissions gross leak and PO505 idle air leak. I tried several shops in my town but the problems always returned. I took my car to Rudy at Speedriven and he fixed the problems in short order. Try Rudy for a professional answer. He found that one rubber line to the catch can had contacted the exhaust and burned through. He also found the small rubber hose that the small hard plastic pipe from the evap wast gate ? on the drivers side goes in to had cracks. Please contact Rudy for a better explanation. hope this helps. It has been 4 weeks with no amber lights.

The following users liked this post:
nerdoftheweek01 (11-22-2020)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 PM

Stopped at Autozone, had them pull up the code - P0455

That helped me come up with a better search here. Lots of threads and the answers I need. I had already decided to try a new gas cap. No luck there - none at any local Chrysler dealers (or none anywhere near where I need to go in the next few days), and it doesn't seem anyone makes an aftermarket one. Looks like I'll have to order one.

What about Mercedes dealers? Would they have the same gas cap, or is it a Chrysler only thing?

Old 10-07-2011, 05:23 PM

I don't know why the gas light stopped blinking. Initially, it was blinking and the check engine light came on at the same time. Then the gas light stopped blinking, but the Check Engine light stayed on.

It was throwing a P0455 code.

The fix was;

- Gas Cap
(I couldn't find a new one, so I pulled the gasket off, flipped it over, and put it back on)

- Engine cover
(It was not all the way down in the back. Pushed it down and made sure it was on properly)

Drove it for about a day, check engine light went out.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM

I just had the same issue today. Blinking light, now out and steady check engine.

I will try your fix. Thanks for the post

jbe

Old 04-11-2017, 02:54 PM

any news on this, I replaced the gas cap, previous owner had a little bit of electric tape on a rubber hose that connects to this selenoid 2004-2008 Chrysler Crossfire Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid - Engine Electrical - Standard Motor Products 04-08 Crossfire Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid - 17854-05224167 - PartsGeek
I replaced the black tape and reinstalled the cover, check engine persists, thank you