Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Is Crossfire the new Studebaker?

Old 11-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Crossfire the new Studebaker?

It feels like Crossfire is joining the ranks of extinct automotive curiosities. I have a fondness for Packard, AMC, Studebaker, Triumph, MG, Oldsmobile, and many many more marques whose fan mail now goes to the dead letter office.
I imagine grandchildren yet unborn looking through old family photos, finding a picture of my now-9 year old daughter standing in our driveway by the XFi, and asking "What is that crazy car grandpa had?"

Old 11-03-2006, 11:15 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Is Crossfire the new Studebaker?

Thus making it more valuable.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can handle the Crossfire being discontinued. I just hope it doesn't become an orphan, like all the cars listed above.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The big difference is those are manufacturers that no longer exist. The Crossfire is just one model that Chrysler makes -- its not as severe as you make it seem.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
The big difference is those are manufacturers that no longer exist. The Crossfire is just one model that Chrysler makes -- its not as severe as you make it seem.
I simply stated that I hope the Crossfire never suffers the fate of the other manufactures "Dobro" listed that went out of business.
If you don't think that could possible happen in your lifetime, then read "Sharonaln67's" post in the Roadster forum (a change in partnership).
When an American auto manufacturer has to go looking for financial support from a French Co. with a past reputation of running other companies into the ground, I think that could qualify as "severe".

Old 11-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry, i meant the original post -- not your comment in particular.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 PM

the crossfire sales figures are way to high to be a collectors item i would think, maybe if they made at most 10,000 or so, but didn't they sell like close to 50?

Old 11-03-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by x'ed
the crossfire sales figures are way to high to be a collectors item i would think, maybe if they made at most 10,000 or so, but didn't they sell like close to 50?
_____________________ +1

Old 11-03-2006, 04:18 PM

I think the car that would compare the most is the" Ford Thunderbird" Now discontinued in 2005! However, the unique looks of both cars set them apart from the rest of the 350z/RX8 etc.etc. I see a Thunderbird on the road about as much as a Xfire, I am not sure how their Numbers compare but a 2004 Thunderbird is bringing about 3 to 4 thousand more which that I don't understand. Since the Crossfire is a much Nicer Car!!!

Old 11-03-2006, 04:28 PM

"I see a Thunderbird on the road about as much as a Xfire".

That's interesting. Must be a Dallas vs Ft. Worth thing, but I see Thunderbirds ('01 - '05, that is) every day, where I can go a week between Xfi sightings and a month on Xfi Roadsters.

I LOVE oddball cars, especially when they are beautiful and excellent.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Forum Regular

To answer the question in the title of this thread... I would say more like the Ford Edsel, mainly because of it's market failure...

As quoted from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"The Edsel is MOST famous for being a marketing disaster. The name Edsel came to be synonymous with commercial failure, and similar ill-fated products have often been colloquially referred to as Edsels."

Old 11-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular

I could not disagree more, with all due respect. Our cars are unique and a joy to drive, and a head turner. I couldn't be more proud to own one and feel very privileged to be one of a handful of lucky roadsters on the road...

I have a very unique wedding ring that I would NEVER want to see on anyone else's finger. It does not make my design a failure to the people who made it..I feel that way about my car, and to date, I've had zero issues with it. The car is not your average "drive"...and not everyone understands it appeal. That's what makes it so special. On a nice day, with the top down, my favorite tunes playing, I am in heaven!
IMO.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Forum Regular

Just got done reading an article in Hemmings Sports and Exotic Cars. Think of it as a current day Opel GT. Niche sports car, built in Germany for an American car company (Buick), built for 4 or so years, roughly a 100,000 units in total and then discontinued. Now 33 years later, is it worth a fortune, NO. Is it coveted by a loyal following, absolutely. Would I love to have one in perfect condition, absolutely. There a million of these type stories with cars. Its not a bad thing, its just the way things go in the car business.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:07 PM

It's anybody's guess as to what "IT" is about a certain car that makes it an eventual collectors item.

limited production.
distinguished performance.
racing history.
seating capacity.
high initial purchase price.
styling.
limited public appeal.
fun to drive factor.

These are just a few reasons, I'm sure there are plenty more. But it's not always extremely low production #'s that dictate collectability. For instance, over 50,000 Barracudas were produced between the 1970 and 1974 model years, and just look at what these cars are worth now. It doesn't matter what engine they have, the "million dollar" Hemi Cuda feeding frenzy has pumped up every "E" body's resale value.
The 1969 Camaro is the current "Darling" of the classic car auction community, even though nearly a 1/4 of a million were produced.
So I really don't think total Crossfire production #'s will ever affect its future collectors status one way or another, at least not in any extreme fashion.
I think because the XF is a 2 seat sports car, that's great to look at, a blast to drive, and relatively scarce, it will do well at some future classic car auction 20 years from now. If past auto auction history is any yardstick to go by, I'd have to say an SRT-6 Roadster will be the top money maker to own, followed by the SRT-6 Coupe, the Limited Roadster, and possible the base roadster bringing more than a Limited Coupe. With the Base coupe being the bargain priced "steal" of the auction.

To answer kjypowers question, I believe Ford planned on building no more than 55 thousand "NEW" T-Birds, so they would be considered "rare". Their words, not mine.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:05 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by golfergal
I could not disagree more, with all due respect. Our cars are unique and a joy to drive, and a head turner. I couldn't be more proud to own one and feel very privileged to be one of a handful of lucky roadsters on the road...

I have a very unique wedding ring that I would NEVER want to see on anyone else's finger. It does not make my design a failure to the people who made it..I feel that way about my car, and to date, I've had zero issues with it. The car is not your average "drive"...and not everyone understands it appeal. That's what makes it so special. On a nice day, with the top down, my favorite tunes playing, I am in heaven!
IMO.
Golfergal, you have it right. The Crossfire is not for everyone.Who knows if it will ever become a classic or a collector's item. Very few cars do. All I know is that I had a number of choice when I was considering buying a new car. I could have bought a Corvette (had one already), a 350Z, G35, Boxter, Mustang, or just about any sports car. I liked the XF when it first came out, but had forgotten about it (DC great marketing). As I was doing my research, I can across the Crossfire, and remember thinking, THAT'S THE CAR I WANT. I was completely unaware of the depreciation, no 2006s, or DC's lack of marketing effort. I was willing to pay full price. It wasn't until I did my homework that I realized I could buy this car listing to close to 50K, for half the price. Frankly it was not the price of the car that attracted me to it. It was the car itself. The price was just a benefit.
I wasn't looking for muscle power. I just wanted a nice performing car with decent acceleration and handling. This car gives me that and more. So, will it become a classic? Who knows. I will continue to drive it. I have an 8 year bumper to bumper warranty. If I ever get tired of driving it (I doubt), I will put it in storage. Who knows, maybe it becomes a classic, and my grand children can get the benefit. If not, nothing lost.

Last edited by FP; 11-04-2006 at 01:08 PM.