Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Collector Crossfire

Old 11-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collector Crossfire

Just wondering if anyone plans on having their xfire as a collectors item. I've had it for about 1 yr and change it has 7k mi. and it's a 2005 model. I drove it everyday when I first bought it but now I keep it in the garage and only take it out on weekends or whenever she needs a stretch! It will be a future project to personalize it a bit. I love the fact that you do not see too many on the streets so in the future it'll truly payoff to hold on to it!

Old 11-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Collector Crossfire

no, i don't think it will ever be a collectors item, as far as i'm aware 50k or so were made...not rare at all.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How many '55 and '57 Chevys were made?

Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they may become collector's cars over time. But, I wouldn't look for any big payoffs. I would estimate that a truly clean example 20 years from now, might still be worth what you would pay for one today.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular

ok i'll play along, lets say it does become a "collector car" why would i hold onto my car for 50 years, keep the miles down, and not enjoy it...why would i do that instead of driving it everyday, pushing it to its limits, selling it, and owning between 30 other cars between now and 2056.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jp2005
ok i'll play along, lets say it does become a "collector car" why would i hold onto my car for 50 years, keep the miles down, and not enjoy it...why would i do that instead of driving it everyday, pushing it to its limits, selling it, and owning between 30 other cars between now and 2056.
That would depend on your financial status etc. I can't help but drive it, after driving my truck (Dakota) for 10 year of faithful service, this car is just so enjoyable to drive.

If I could afford it I'd buy an SRT and limit my seat time.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Forum Regular

i don't think it has anything to do with financial status...some people just don't buy cars and let them sit around.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i don't think it has anything to do with financial status...some people just don't buy cars and let them sit around.
But some do.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Forum Regular

i know some people do, some people that aren't that "well off" financially even practice that i'm going to buy a car and keep the miles down, no matter how much money i ever made...never would i buy a car and keep the miles down -- no matter how many cars i own, many miles would be piled on each and every single one of them.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Forum Regular

As far as I'm concerned I do have a collector's item. I buy cars because they are attractive to me, and I hope that I can keep them running for as long as I love them. As for waiting until someone else love's them too, sorry. I won't deny myself the pleasure of having it for that long. And when and if it does become a collector's item...I should still have mine. My plan is to drive my cars until dust I've never yet succeeded. My '63 Galaxie Wagon is almost there, though. If I'd left it in California it'd still be a heathen car...now, after 11 years in Ohio winters it is quite Holey. Ji Ji Ji.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no, i don't think it will ever be a collectors item, as far as i'm aware 50k or so were made...not rare at all.
Why are so many "young" Crossfire owners so cynical when it comes to the Crossfire?
JP2005, I don't mean to single you out, but I've read comments like yours many times on this forum, and it's usually made by a young male, 25 years old or less, who doesn't think the Crossfire will ever amount to much in the future automotive history books.
The Crossfire is by no means a "world beater" but it can do alot of "sports car" related things well, and even better than some cars costing 3 or even 4 times as much. It can go through a slalom course faster than a Ford GT, Lamborghini Gallardo, Acura NSX, or an Aston Martin Vanquish.
It can stop from 60 mph faster than alot of other "sports cars" too.
There are a lot more sports cars out there that an SRT-6 can out accelerate, than there are that could beat it.
None of us "old timers" thought we would ever see the outrageous prices that some of the old "muscle cars" are bringing now a days either. But no matter how large the production #'s were, they still bring strong money at auctions all over U.S. because the demand is there.
I know in my life time, I probably won'tget to see the Crossfire become a "Hot Property", I may not even get to see it sell for more than it originally cost. But I bet 30 years from now, most Crossfire owners in 2037 will be glad they own one. (That is if we still produce gasoline, that the "average person" can afford.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Forum Regular

but the difference is, all these muscle cars you mention that are highly sought after today, were highly sought after back then as well...until gas prices went up that is.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

No they were not, many of them the dealers could not get rid of.
Like the daytona and superbird for example.
Many dealers had them on the lot for over a year then took off the nose cones and swapped the front ends to charger or roadrunners just to sell them.
Some of them go for as much as $300,000 and up with the right options.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

but the difference is, all these muscle cars you mention that are highly sought after today, were highly sought after back then as well...until gas prices went up that is.
Actually it was the Insurance Companies that killed the muscle car. Well them, and the pollution control devices mandated by the Government. By the time the fuel crisis hit, there were hardly any "real" muscle cars left.
But not all the muscle cars that are bringing big money now, were that popular when they were new.
The Super Birds and Daytona Chargers are just one example. There are plenty more, like my own AMX. Now I'm not saying the AMX is worth anywhere near what a Super Bird is, but it would still cost me between 8 to 10 times as much as I paid for my car when new, to replace it now.
When you consider they built close to 50K Barracudas between 1970 and 1974, and look at what those cars are bringing now, (no matter what engine they have) that should tell you popularity back then doesn't always dictate what a car will be worth in the future. Especially when you look at how many Camaros they built during that same time period, and compare it to what those cars are selling for now. (The Camaro was vastly more popular, and sought after back then, but doesn't bring anything close to what the Cuda's do now)
I'm just saying don't be so quick to write off the Crossfire, and it's potential to some day become a "collectors" item. It has far more good things going for it, than against it.
I predict that at some future date, You will proudly tell someone, "Yeh, I used to have one of those Crossfires when they were new." And I'd be willing to bet whom ever you say it to, will be impressed.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with +fireamx that no one knows what the future will hold for the collectivity of our Crossfires. There is a lot of talk about the number of cars manufactured being pivotal but one thing that I don't hear anyone mentioning is the impact the media may have in the future. It only takes one cult classic to propel the Crossfire into the must have category like Vanishing Point, Bullitt, Mad Max, Smokey and Bandit, Knight Rider, Viper, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, James Bond, to name a few but we all know the list goes on. My Crossfire is my toy and not my daily commuter so it spends most of it's time in the garage except when it is nice out or we take it on trips (the primary reason we bought the car) so I intend to have it for awhile. If it becomes collectible that will only be an added bonus.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Collectors item or not. I plan on keeping my crossfire forever. I enjoy this unique and rare little beauty and believe the attraction will live on. Best automotive deal I've ever made!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Thumbs up Re: Collector Crossfire

Why are so many "young" Crossfire owners so cynical when it comes to the Crossfire?
JP2005, I don't mean to single you out, but I've read comments like yours many times on this forum, and it's usually made by a young male, 25 years old or less, who doesn't think the Crossfire will ever amount to much in the future automotive history books.
The Crossfire is by no means a "world beater" but it can do alot of "sports car" related things well, and even better than some cars costing 3 or even 4 times as much. It can go through a slalom course faster than a Ford GT, Lamborghini Gallardo, Acura NSX, or an Aston Martin Vanquish.
It can stop from 60 mph faster than alot of other "sports cars" too.
There are a lot more sports cars out there that an SRT-6 can out accelerate, than there are that could beat it.
None of us "old timers" thought we would ever see the outrageous prices that some of the old "muscle cars" are bringing now a days either. But no matter how large the production #'s were, they still bring strong money at auctions all over U.S. because the demand is there.
I know in my life time, I probably won't get to see the Crossfire become a "Hot Property", I may not even get to see it sell for more than it originally cost. But I bet 30 years from now, most Crossfire owners in 2037 will be glad they own one. (That is if we still produce gasoline, that the "average person" can afford.
I'm glad to hear this since i myself am 24 yrs old and i posted this thread! There's just something inside that tells me "this one's a keeper". Now i've owned other sports cars and i even worked in a HUGE dealership for 3 yrs; driving a wide range of cars (you name it)! So the sheer unpopularity of dis car and not seeing so much of them on the street or in dealerships, or service bays... attracts me to this car all the more. I HIGHLY respect and listen to my elders b/c their knowledge is PRICELESS so i'm glad you posted this message and it assures me on my "gamble" to have chosen this car as a collectible!

- Regards!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular

i'm done replying to this thread, because i'm not going to "believe in" what you say to me, and i'm not going to "believe in" what you say...we have to greatly different opinions.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:56 AM

i'm done replying to this thread, because i'm not going to "believe in" what you say to me, and i'm not going to "believe in" what you say...we have to greatly different opinions.
What Ever! I think most people on here disagree with you. So you get mad and quit, this just shows your age and besides all of us in our 50's lived through the muscle car era and let me tell you I owned a few. I had a '62 Impala SS with a 327, a '67 Chevelle SS with a 396 and a '73 Mustang Mach 1 with a 351 (last year of the original large body). I bought cheap and sold cheap, but today in good condition they are all worth much more than the original selling price. There where plenty around as well.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:26 PM

well my friend it's all about opinion, (it's what makes the world turn!) i respect yours!! But I don't believe anyone is asking you to "believe in" anything! *pats on back*.

Quick Reply: Collector Crossfire