Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Just bought my Crossfire!

Old 12-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my Crossfire!

Hey guys, I was asking some questions in this thread and had a lot of helpful replies:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=13192

I bought my Crossfire this weekend! I drove 2 hours away to San Diego first to look at a Graphite 2004 with red leather interior, it had 18k miles and it was for $18,500, when I saw the car in person, it was very beat up, the front bumper was cracked. I passed.

I bought the first Crossfire I had test drove, the condition was good, not as great a deal but still decent compared to other competitor cars, 31k miles for $17,600. Plus I love the alabaster white color! My co-workers came outside to look at my car.

Two questions though if anyone can help, I know this isn't the technical forums but since I already made this thread I'll throw it out.

I see two light bulbs at the tip of the trunk hatch, but with the hatch open they don't turn on. Are they suppose to?

And going 70+ mph, I hear a whine sound when I press on the gas pedal, even when I press lightly. It doesn't make the sound when I shift in to neutral and give it gas, only makes it in gear and above 70+ mph.

Thanks a lot! - Alexander

Old 12-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Just bought my Crossfire!

I can answer the first question... No, those 2 lights do not come on when the hatch is opened. Those are the license plate lights when the hatch is shut. The light for the cargo area is inside the trunk on the left side.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:33 PM

Sweet, thanks a lot!

Old 12-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the rear differential noise some of the members have encountered. If it is the rear differential you may want to get it in and have it replaced if the car is still under warranty.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Forum Regular

Your #2 sounds like rear end whine. Do a search it's been talked about before.
Welcome aboard. Your going to love the Crossfire.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:25 PM

#2 sounds serious! I just bought the car. Thanks for the replies. I believe one year is left in the warranty.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Forum Regular

You should get it back to the dealer and get that checked at your very first chance. Let us know what you find out.
Welcome to the boards!!

Old 12-11-2006, 03:55 PM

I bought the car at CarMax and they have a 5-day return policy, I have till the 14th to return it. CarMax also has a 30-day warranty policy. The car was purchased from the original owner in 2005 and has 31k miles so there is still warranty on it that can be transferred to me.

From any or your experiences, what should I do? Should I return it to CarMax? Have CarMax fix it under their warranty? Or take it to a dealership to fix under that warranty? The last two options, if I do that, #1 option of returning will be gone as I'm sure it'll pass the 14th.

Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let Carmax fix it...(or take it to a dealer). If they can't fix the whine give it back and have them send you another one. I checked on line and Carmax has a number of Crossfires available.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the reply SRT SIX. The car rode great but the test drive I was never able to take it past 60 mph. This has got me worried now. I think I'm going to take it back to CarMax first, then worst comes to worst try my luck with the dealership.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Forum Regular

Alexander,

Carmax will take it back. These are Mercedes-Benz we are talking about, don't be fooled by the Chrysler badge. Get another Crossfire...Its worth it!

You can get an extended warranty before it get to 36k miles, just for peace of mind. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:18 PM

Is your Crossfire a Coupe or Roadster?
Does your spoiler open?
If not, could be spoiler problem.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:19 PM

Thanks Emthusiast,

I was hyped about buying the Crossfire, I saved up for awhile and sold my Acura. It is kind of disappointing to find out about this. I think I'm going to take it to CarMax and tell them if they can fix it, otherwise I'm going to return it.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Black Diamond
Is your Crossfire a Coupe or Roadster?
Does your spoiler open?
If not, could be spoiler problem.
It's a '04 Coupe 6MT, the spoiler opens fine. The sound is a howling sound pronounced only during 70 - 80 mph and only when I tap on the gas, even lightly. It seems like the differential from what other post I have read.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to my world... I suggest taking it back to car max b/c trying to get it fixed from the dealers is a nightmare. On my latest adventure I had a Chrysler engineer drive it and then told me he hears the whine but isn't going to do anything about it. I finally asked for another meeting with the owner of the dealership I go to, got my Dad in trouble (he's the chrysler parts manager at that dealership) and still haven't talked to the owner. They gave my Dad the "Maybe you should change and seek out the cheese book" as a parting gift.

Oh, by the way congratulations on purchasing a Crossfire. If I happen to succeed in my quest to in act the lemon law on this one it's very likely I will turn around and buy another one. Probably the SRT6 though, because you can't hear the rear end whine over that sweet exhaust note.

Last edited by Thirteendog; 12-11-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I also have the '04 Alabaster color. I also have the same whine. If you let off the gas it goes away. I am just living with it. I go in for my 3rd oil change and will have them look at it, or better yet I am taking the guy out with me, so that HE can hear it. But I am doing the driving. He can just listen. <g>

Seems this has been on this forum for a couple of years. My car runs great, even with the whine...

Old 12-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Forum Regular

I'd consider getting a different from. Take it back to Carmax and have them find you another Crossfire. Did you look at the SRT-6? You can pick one up for about 25k used. It's a steal at that price.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:49 PM

Keep us posted on what Carmax tells you about the whining sound, hopefully they will cooperate with you and get this fixed.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:01 AM

Welcome!! I also bought my crossfire from carmax here in Duarte. So far my experience from CarMax is OKAY. First my front grill was cracked, so instead of driving 2 hours to get there they sent me a check for 400$ for the front grill ( Which i have yet to cash) Also, I have a big fat nail in my back tire, but all they want to do is patch it up, which i dont agree on ( I want a new tire!!) so i still have yet to fix this tire problem.

other problems
-one key wont work (Keyless entry)
- One of the dome lights is not working
- the ineterior paint next to the brake handle is showing wear
- there is a small little chip on my front window which is starting to annoy me
- first gear pops

TALK ABOUT THE "FULLY INSPECTED" CARMAX CAR - buncha crap

Other than that, I LOVE THE CAR!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dodgerpro
Welcome!! I also bought my crossfire from carmax here in Duarte. So far my experience from CarMax is OKAY. First my front grill was cracked, so instead of driving 2 hours to get there they sent me a check for 400$ for the front grill ( Which i have yet to cash) Also, I have a big fat nail in my back tire, but all they want to do is patch it up, which i dont agree on ( I want a new tire!!) so i still have yet to fix this tire problem.

other problems
-one key wont work (Keyless entry)
- One of the dome lights is not working
- the ineterior paint next to the brake handle is showing wear
- there is a small little chip on my front window which is starting to annoy me
- first gear pops

TALK ABOUT THE "FULLY INSPECTED" CARMAX CAR - buncha crap

Other than that, I LOVE THE CAR!!!
I understand that CarMax states the car is fully inspected, but keep in mind you bought a used car. The nail in the tire could have happened after you bought the car so I'd be happy with them patching it for free. A patch will hold up just fine. The rest of the stuff is minor. I'm not being negative, just saying I don't think anyone should expect to purchase a "used" car at a used car price and think that everything will be as perfect as new. But welcome to the Crossfire community...you'll love the car!!

Quick Reply: Just bought my Crossfire!