Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Shared Platform Article

Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shared Platform Article

Just saw this on AOL news discussing the shared platform philosophies between automakers.

http://autos.aol.com/article/general...02163309990001

Old 01-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Shared Platform Article

Originally Posted by mr4crossfire
Just saw this on AOL news discussing the shared platform philosophies between automakers.

http://autos.aol.com/article/general...02163309990001
interesting the link takes you to an article with a picture of a crossfire and an slk yet it talks about ford fusion, mercury millan, toyota, and others with no mention of the 2 cars pictured and their purpose in the article...lol?

Old 01-12-2007, 05:05 PM

If you click on the See Some Platform Sharing Examples Here link on the first page it leads you to eight other comparisons. Number six is the Crossfire and the SLK.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sidez
interesting the link takes you to an article with a picture of a crossfire and an slk yet it talks about ford fusion, mercury millan, toyota, and others with no mention of the 2 cars pictured and their purpose in the article...lol?
You have to go to click the pictures I believe and they give "examples" of shared platforms.

Also, I read in a related article the Crossfire makes the Mercedes Division upset... It blurs the line of their exclusivity they claim.

It isn't any wonder the future of the car is in doubt... Oh well, it will make them instant classics...

Old 01-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rhacker382
You have to go to click the pictures I believe and they give "examples" of shared platforms.

Also, I read in a related article the Crossfire makes the Mercedes Division upset... It blurs the line of their exclusivity they claim.

It isn't any wonder the future of the car is in doubt... Oh well, it will make them instant classics...
Well, they should have thought about that before developing the crossfire. But, I am so glad that they went ahead with it. Thanks DC.

They also save a butt load of money cause they didn't have to engineer the crossfire from ground up. So it was cheaper to make. So it costs a little less than an MB (ok a lot more now a days).

The crossfire is based on the previous generation SLK, so MB should not be that upset.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:34 PM

I just find it amusing that there is so much BS about the Crossfire hurting the MB image because of the shared platform components of a previous MB model.

Isn't the reason why the 300, Charger and Magnum has been so successful is because of the inherited design components of the previous generation E Class??? Where are the complaints there???

Old 01-14-2007, 03:52 PM

The Crossfire is #6 of the 8 examples they offer:

And it says:

"Chrysler Crossfire / Mercedes-Benz SLK (former)
The Chrysler Crossfire shares much of its engineering with the last-generation Mercedes-Benz SLK. It's even built in Germany. You won't see anymore of this, though. DaimlerChrysler has said they don't want to sully the image of Mercedes-Benz by sharing even the bones of Mercedes vehicles with the American side of the family.

Rationally, of course, there's no reason why having Chrysler Group products using Mercedes platforms should harm Mercedes. But a Mercedes buyer might feel less special knowing that some guy in a Dodge is driving around with some of the same parts."

LOL, "I got your parts..." ;-P... Those poor MB drivers can't sleep at night... They must be having nightmares involving all those good looking Crossfires riding around wearing their underwear.