Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Cracked foglight help

Old 04-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cracked foglight help

Hey guys,

I was driving on the freeway the other day and a rock chip hit my passenger foglight and cracked it. Chrysler said I need to replace the foglight assembly, so I purchased that from them $100. Just double checking with you guys, does the entire assembly need to be replaced like they said? Or can the cover be replaced only.

Also, does the bumper have to come off or can I get access to the entire assembly by removing the splash shield around the wheel housing?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cracked foglight help

I had the same problem, but what I did was take the car to the dealer for an oil change, then when I picked up the car the next day I blamed it on the mechanics so the dealer did the repair job for free. Pretty sinister, ay?

Old 04-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Indeed, not honest but you got away with it, saved you about $100.

Found the answers, the whole assembly will need replaced, and $100 for one sounds about right, and found out something else, there's the original design and there's a new design that looks slightly different (that was made because of the chrome cap part falling off).

Last edited by Alexander; 04-19-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Forum Regular

Demand the new foglight assembly. If you're under warranty, its free...

Old 04-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander
there's the original design and there's a new design that looks slightly different (that was made because of the chrome cap part falling off).
Just picked up my car this evening from the dealership they replaced the fog lights due to the chrome cap falling off. No charge warranty.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:33 AM
Forum Regular

Alexander,

Sorry to tell you it is not a warranty item like brhertel said, I had to replace the passenger side last year because of a rock chip. The answer to your question is yes it is a complete assembly that runs about $100 to $125 dollars. It is kind of a pain in the a$$ to change since you have to drop the bottom shield and loosen one of the bolts through the service panel access as I recall but it wasn't difficult and only took about 20 minutes total.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:13 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Idaho
Alexander,

Sorry to tell you it is not a warranty item like brhertel said, I had to replace the passenger side last year because of a rock chip. The answer to your question is yes it is a complete assembly that runs about $100 to $125 dollars. It is kind of a pain in the a$$ to change since you have to drop the bottom shield and loosen one of the bolts through the service panel access as I recall but it wasn't difficult and only took about 20 minutes total.
I had my cracked fog light replaced under warranty by demanding the new updated fog lights...regardless of crack or not, I told them I wanted the new ones without the little caps.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Thumbs up Re: Cracked foglight help

Thanks for the replies, brhertel, Iamfink2, and Idaho.

The fog light assembly came in today after ordering it yesterday, was $100 retail price but got 20% off so it came to $80, not bad. I was worried from pervious threads I read that the fog lights were on back order and could take weeks to get.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Forum Regular

When mine were replaced on an insurance claim, the bill showed about $80 for the assembly.
The dealers must be making a killing when people have to by them.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Forum Regular

brhertel,

Either your dealership absorbed the cost to provide great customer service or my dealership misinformed me about the warranty coverage.

Enlighten me on the updated fog light assemble because the replacement I bought was exactly like the original on my 2004.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Arrow Re: Cracked foglight help

Originally Posted by Idaho
brhertel,

Enlighten me on the updated fog light assemble because the replacement I bought was exactly like the original on my 2004.
Hey brhertel, I just found out about the updated fog light assemblies randomly searching the forums, you can read about them here:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t=fog+assembly

and

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...?t=3809&page=2

Apparently, the original design, a chrome cap would fall off, then updated the design of the assembly because of this.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:01 PM
EWD

Where are you guys ordering your replacements from? My foglight lens popped off and the Service Advisor mentioned that the entire housing had to be replaced at a cost of $300+.

I have the max extended warranty and those components are NOT covered.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Forum Regular

Does anyone have pictures of old versus new style fog light? I have reread the above thread and done a search and can't seem to find any picture of the new style fog lights. I am just trying to figure out if I have old or new style.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by EWD
Where are you guys ordering your replacements from? My fog light lens popped off and the Service Advisor mentioned that the entire housing had to be replaced at a cost of $300+.

I have the max extended warranty and those components are NOT covered.
Got mine right at the dealer, they're $100 each side for the whole assembly, your $300 sounds like it includes labor, but you can do it yourself (which is what I'm doing). It's simple, in the front wheel splash guard you'll see a square cover that comes off, the fog light assembly comes right out.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, in this case ignore the service manual which has you gain access from below the front bumper.

If you turn the wheel all the way in at the front and remove the wheel, you can easily gain access to this area. It takes a little patience, but it's overall an easy job.

I had to replace mine for the same reason (rock chip) which turned into a completely broken lens after the car wash water hit the hot light. I tried for the replacement fog lights because they were different, but they wouldn't budge because the small metal caps had not come off (broken lens or not). I guess I should have 'prodded' the cap off them and taken them to another dealer, but I was just raised to honest for that. I bit the bullet and bought the pair and installed them myself.