Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Why did you choose a Coupe in lieu of a Vert?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did you choose a Coupe in lieu of a Vert?

So,

What made you choose the Crossfire Coupe in lieu of a Convertible?

I myself think they look more stylish. The lines flow better through the roof, and the whole car looks complete.

I've always been a fan of the BMW 'M' Coupe (Z3 Coupe), especially the brand new one that just came out. However, I am not yet in the position to afford one of the new ones, so the Crossfire will work! I feel it shares the general 'shape', yet is very unique and classy looking at the same time.

The only other thing that deterred me from a vert was the fact that 95% of convertibles I've ever ridden in were rattle-boxes, and seemed to twist and torque way too much for my liking. Then again, these were low end cars and not of the same build quality I would expect out of a 'german' car.

I will admit, I wouldn't mind having a drop-top on nice Texas days...but the coupe just looks so nice.

If I end up buying another one, it may be a vert...that way I can have the best of both worlds!

Just thought I'd get a little conversation going OTHER than the buy-out talk!

SQ

Old 05-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Default Re: Why did you choose a Coupe in lieu of a Vert?

The Crossfire just didn't look nearly the same with coupe/roadster. One of the biggest design feature on the XF is the roof the swoops all the way to the back. Like you said the roadster might be nice on a few nice summer days. But overall i think the coupe looks much better. I love the profile. As for a roadster, the flat part in the back when the top is up just doesn't look right. They look nice when down, with the design behind the seats and all. But i know at 100 years i can spot the shape of my coupe. Also the roadster doesn't have the line on the roof outside and inside.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:40 PM
PJA

I agree with Romio. Besides, I had driven convertibles (2 Miatas and a Mustang) for the previous 15 years. Time for a change!

Pete

Old 05-14-2007, 05:40 PM

I bought the Limited Edition roadster. The adage goes in resale red and the top goes down...No contest.

Gary

Old 05-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There were no roadsters available in 2004 when I bought mine. I like the roadster with the top down but I think the car, like most roadsters, looks butt ugly with the top up and probably would not have bought it even if they had offered it. Now had they produced it with a hard top that would have been a different story.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:59 PM

I think the car would be dang near perfect if it had a removable hard top...

Or T-Tops would even help.

SQ

Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Although I really can't say why, I've always preferred the coupe version of any sports car (when offered).

This preference goes back to the MG B GT, Triumph GT 6, E Type Jaguar etc. and continues to this day.

- Bill

Old 05-14-2007, 06:08 PM

Well, I've had both now - just turned in my '04 coupe in March when the lease was up and bought an '06 limited roadster because the price had gotten stupid low.

I think the coupe is a little better looking - I had an SSB, and I think the lines were stunning from several angles. The coupe is also a little easier to live with if you drive long distances, as it is quieter and has more luggage room.

My current red roadster is a little more fun, though. Styling wise, I think all roadsters based originally on a coupe are a compromise. The crossfire roadster certainly isn't hard on the eyes with the top up, but I think it is more attractive top down (I guess you can't say that about all cars or people)!

The coupe and roadster are different cars with different personalities. The coupe is a little more sophisticated, and the roadster just wants you to come out and play.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
I think the car would be dang near perfect if it had a removable hard top...

SQ
I AGREE 100 PERCENT! I Have never been a "veRt" type of guy...AND the shape of the soft top vert just ISN'T the same...but it would be nice if us "coupe" guys could get that sun when wanted tho'.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1- I like the look better. Don't misunderstand me, I also like the look of the roadster, but I personally prefer the sweeping rear end boat-tail design much more.

2- Road noise.

3- Less prone to interior intrusion. When I was young, I had two convertible topped cars that were both sliced open to get to the goods within. Since then, I've been off the convertible scene.

4- Too windy. As my hair slowly thins away, the last thing I need is to have my perfect quaff mussed.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by greenie
The coupe is a little more sophisticated, and the roadster just wants you to come out and play.
Are you in advertising? That hit the nail on the head!

Old 05-14-2007, 07:33 PM

I agree with the Z4 coupe comment. I like the style of the small sports car with the seats near the rear axle and the sharp drop off which the Z3/Z4 coupe and the Xfire both have.

I wish the car had a Targa top or a stylish type removable hardtop that would keep the rigidity of the car without breaking the lines. I also think the coupe has more of a Gotham City -type look than the roadster does.

Either way the coupe is just "dead sexy" (insert fat ******* voice).

Old 05-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Forum Regular

Gator didn't know what to insert for ******, we have roadster, but I want a coupe one day also, they have much more competitive or aggressive look to them.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM

the trunk was nearly unlivable.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:01 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by JAmacher
didn't know what to insert for ******
Stands for B@st@rd. In the Austin Powers movie - They Spy that Shagged me - there is a character named - Fat B@st@rd. He's giant, scottish, and gross. He always says 'I'm dead sexy'. . . 'Get in my belly.'

Good stuff.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was 16, my very first car was a convertible. I've always loved them. But for some reason, I'm usually drawn more to a "coupe" sports car, than a roadster. Be it an XKE, Ferrari Daytona, 63-67 Corvette, BMW Z3 or Z4, Nissan Z car, and especially the Viper. I never wanted one until the 96 GTS came out, then it became a priority.
I didn't immediately fall for the Crossfire when it was introduced, but about 6 months later it hit me, that it was exactly my kind of car.
I think the roadsters look good top up, or down. But the coupe just looks like it's "moving" even when its sitting still, and I really like that.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:27 PM

I could never own or ride in a ragtop. In my youth, I went to a lot of junk yards to get parts for my car or other vehicles I was rebuilding. I was looking for parts on one day when I saw a cover over a car and it looked odd. So I took off the tarp and found a mustang ragtop with the windshield absolutely flat and blood everywhere. It really shocked me and I can still see the car in my mind to this day. The only way I might try one is if it has a retractable hard top and roll over bars.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Forum Regular

I hate to interrupt this "coupes look better therapy session" you guys are having, but for me there really was no comparison, and i had my choice of both, but the convertible totally blows away the coupe, imho. The "ridge" still runs both through the dash and the opening top cover. The lines on the roadster are awesome, from every angle. The ultimate would be a retractable hard top like the slk.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

I think they are both beautiful. The SLK platform is very stiff and solid on both the roadster and coupe. It has no distortion, coupe or roadster, up or down. I love the roadster both with the top up and down. The top reminds me of the prowler or any vintage roadster and it is not a cheap vinyl top like most American or cheap european cars. It has the three window coupe feel. The coupe has a unique roof line that says concept all over the place. If I could, and maybe someday I will, have one of each. The Crossfire, coupe and roadster , are in a class of their own, and so are the owners!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by nascarhq
I hate to interrupt this "coupes look better therapy session" you guys are having, but for me there really was no comparison, and i had my choice of both, but the convertible totally blows away the coupe, imho. The "ridge" still runs both through the dash and the opening top cover. The lines on the roadster are awesome, from every angle. The ultimate would be a retractable hard top like the slk.
Far from a therapy session, IMHO.

I was just curious why people would buy the coupe when, especially these days, the roadsters are just a little bit more.

Seems most of the reasoning is road noise and overall looks. It's all preference, I was just wondering if I missed something.

SQ

Quick Reply: Why did you choose a Coupe in lieu of a Vert?