Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

one of the worst days of my life

Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy one of the worst days of my life

finally get my car the way i want it, and it screws up. turning onto a road, my clutch suddenly decides to not release. only have 42,000 miles. so there i am going about 2 mph at 4,000 rpms to the nearest driveway. it sucks seeing your crossfire on the back of a flatbed wrecker.

if it's the transmission, it's under warranty. however, the dealer says if it's the clutch, it'll cost about $1,400 - $2,300 if it's the flywheel too. either way, i'm without my car for at least a week. possibly forever. i may have to get rid of it. since the 40k mile warranty has already expired, if anything goes wrong except for the engine/transmission it'll cost a fortune, so i may end up trading the crossfire. either for an srt-6 or a wrx sti. if you guys know of any low priced srt-6s, tell me. that way, i'll have a new warranty.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: one of the worst days of my life

sorry for the double-post.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is very unfortunate ... eh what can I say I hate car problems, but it is inevitable... the SRT's can be picked up for 25-27k new...

Old 06-06-2007, 03:29 AM

If it is the clutch and it is out of warranty, I think I would shop around for a good independent mechanic that works on Mercedes. I don't think it will cost nearly that much to replace.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
If it is the clutch and it is out of warranty, I think I would shop around for a good independent mechanic that works on Mercedes. I don't think it will cost nearly that much to replace.
i agree here, but motivation and excuses to get an srt6 also sounds good if you can live with an automatic.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: one of the worst days of my life

I know it may be too early in the morning to be thinking and I have not had my first cup of coffee, but what about the 7/70 powertrain warranty? Are you the first owner? Second owner and had the warranty transferred into your name? This early in the morning, I'm not even sure the 7/70 would cover the clutch. It may be worth looking into. Just a thought... Still sorry to hear about the hard times with the XF. Hope someone else on here has some insight on the 7/70 and what it covers. If I was home I could take a look for ya.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Well, if this is one of the worst days of your life. I'd say you've had a pretty good life. Thank goodness, it's only a car repair.

I do like this SRT 6 idea you have. Had I known there was such a thing a few days ago when I bought my Xfire, I probably would have looked for one of those instead. Perhaps this is a good chance for an upgrade for you. Yeeeha!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by XFiringInNC
Well, if this is one of the worst days of your life. I'd say you've had a pretty good life. Thank goodness, it's only a car repair.

I do like this SRT 6 idea you have. Had I known there was such a thing a few days ago when I bought my Xfire, I probably would have looked for one of those instead. Perhaps this is a good chance for an upgrade for you. Yeeeha!
Wow that's is bad not knowing about the srt-6 purchasing a n/a and then regretting it... When I bought my srt-6 I almost bought a non-srt also thinking that the SRTs are much more expensive... and wow I am grateful I was wrong...

Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 PM

Just means I have a nice upgrade path. hehe. Besides, it's not as if I got a piece of poo. My normal XF is still a raging blast to drive. Smiles per mile are WAY up since I got it.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigpapapuff
I know it may be too early in the morning to be thinking and I have not had my first cup of coffee, but what about the 7/70 powertrain warranty? Are you the first owner? Second owner and had the warranty transferred into your name? This early in the morning, I'm not even sure the 7/70 would cover the clutch. It may be worth looking into. Just a thought... Still sorry to hear about the hard times with the XF. Hope someone else on here has some insight on the 7/70 and what it covers. If I was home I could take a look for ya.
i have the 8/80, and no the clutch isn't covered; however, i just found out that the flywheel should be covered. turns out that my '04 will remain mine, but i'll still probably trade it for an srt-6 once the warranty starts getting closer to its end. that's a while off though and by then, there will not be many low mileage srt-6s out there considering they were only made for 2005 (unless you include the 3 or so from 2006). so i don't know what i'll end up with.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by XFiringInNC
Well, if this is one of the worst days of your life. I'd say you've had a pretty good life.
yeah; however, i've had a lot of "worst days of my life", especially since i've had the car. i've had it a little over a year and replaced half the things on it, including a passenger window and the computer. not to say the car is my top priority in life, but it's pretty much my only transportation and my home during the day (when i'm at the college).

Old 06-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Forum Regular

well, it all depends how the dealer responds tomorrow. the clutch supposedly disintegrated, and they are trying to charge me for the clutch and the flywheel, even though the flywheel is supposed to be covered by warranty. flywheels can be fixed anyway. so if i get the dealer to pay for and install the flywheel, i'm taking the crossfire somewhere else to order the clutch and have it installed.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by grphtmtlc11
well, it all depends how the dealer responds tomorrow. the clutch supposedly disintegrated, and they are trying to charge me for the clutch and the flywheel, even though the flywheel is supposed to be covered by warranty. flywheels can be fixed anyway. so if i get the dealer to pay for and install the flywheel, i'm taking the crossfire somewhere else to order the clutch and have it installed.
I recently had a clutch issue on another car (not a crossfire), and when talking to the service advisor regarding the warranty and a flywheel, I was told that the warranty covers the flywheel if it breaks/is the cause of the problem. If it needs resurfaced/replaced due to wear from the clutch, it is not covered, as this is considered a wear item.

Just something to keep in mind.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saxman
I recently had a clutch issue on another car (not a crossfire), and when talking to the service advisor regarding the warranty and a flywheel, I was told that the warranty covers the flywheel if it breaks/is the cause of the problem. If it needs resurfaced/replaced due to wear from the clutch, it is not covered, as this is considered a wear item.

Just something to keep in mind.
yeah that's exactly what the chrysler dealer said here. they're saying the clutch caused the flywheel's damage. 99% sure it's bs, so i'm having a sports car shop in town do the clutch installation. supposedly, they've worked with crossfires before along with other cars of its class and higher. they're going to see if they can't fix the flywheel first. since the changing the clutch is like changing brake pads, chrysler can't void my warranty.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Forum Regular

i know i said there was a possibility of trading it, but i just thought i'd let y'all know that i'm keeping my 6-speed crossfire.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:34 AM

yeah that's exactly what the chrysler dealer said here. they're saying the clutch caused the flywheel's damage. 99% sure it's bs, so i'm having a sports car shop in town do the clutch installation. supposedly, they've worked with crossfires before along with other cars of its class and higher. they're going to see if they can't fix the flywheel first. since the changing the clutch is like changing brake pads, chrysler can't void my warranty.
well, a clutch wearing down a flywheel isn't really anything out of the ordinary. What you need to find out is what happened to the clutch. Did it just wear down, or did it shatter, etc. When you say it didn't release, what do you mean?

Old 06-09-2007, 12:38 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by saxman
well, a clutch wearing down a flywheel isn't really anything out of the ordinary. What you need to find out is what happened to the clutch. Did it just wear down, or did it shatter, etc. When you say it didn't release, what do you mean?
I agree, wearing a clutch out doesn't normally happen over night.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Forum Regular

according to the dealer, it shattered. what would cause this? i only have 42k miles. i don't race it, ride the clutch, or speed shift. please let me know what i'm doing wrong. people comment how smooth it shifts when they're riding with me.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:43 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

according to the dealer, it shattered. what would cause this? i only have 42k miles. i don't race it, ride the clutch, or speed shift. please let me know what i'm doing wrong. people comment how smooth it shifts when they're riding with me.
Sounds to me that if the clutch shattered, that caused the fly wheel damage. Hmmm, why don't you ask to speak with the MFG rep? or have you?

Old 06-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Forum Regular

that is what they said. it's no big deal now. the sports car shop in town is going to replace it for the price the dealer was going to charge just to replace the clutch, so i'm not too disappointed. they may actually be able to repair the flywheel.

Quick Reply: one of the worst days of my life