Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

1st Service Issue/Nightmare

Old 06-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1st Service Issue/Nightmare

So I was looking to get the oil changed on my newly purchased '04 crossfire, had it about 7 weeks now, and love it. Take it by the quickie valvoline place and of course they don't have the oil and they can't order it either. They do offer to put it in if I go to the store and get some. Probably what I will do considering what happened next at the dealership.

I call the local chrysler/dodge dealer to schedule an oil change and tire rotate. They say no problem and I schedule it the next day specifically asking if I can wait and they say no problem, should take about 45 min.

So I go in, drop off the car, 45 minutes pass, no car, hour later, no car. hour and 15 minutes I ask where my car is. "It will be about 10 more minutes." OK fine. 25 minutes later still no car. We are now going on 2 hrs. So I am now pissed and the guy tells me they are sorry but they didn't have a part, get this, the drain plug gasket!! They say they had to send someone to the Mercedes dealership to get one and they don't know exactly when he will be back and they can't reach him.

So I just tell they guy to put the car back together, I need to go. So they put it back together and charge me for 9 quarts of oil!!! They took the labor and the tire rotation charge off. But they can't guarantee it will not leak.

How much oil does this car take? the manual says 6.1 quarts but the previous owner wrote 7+ and 8 next the 6.1 so I am not sure if got ripped or what. This is besides the gasket issue. Which I am still dealing with the dealer on. On the gasket issue, does this car even have a drain plug?? I thought I read somewhere on here about a special pump to remove oil from the top of the engine.

So does every Chrysler service department not know how to work on these cars or what? Do I need to go to the Mercedes dealer for service in the future?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:29 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1st Service Issue/Nightmare

With a filter change, these cars take 8.5 qts of 0W-40 Mobil 1 Synthetic.
May want to do it on your own - as many here do.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car takes 8 quarts and change (mattering how well it is drained) of 0w-40 synthetic ... the car does have a drain plug and the top sider used to extract the oil is the lazy way to go if you don't want to get on the floor ...

sounds like they really wanted to take care of the car properly ... lol ... i know plenty of techs that would have put it on with the old gasket and wished it luck in that situation ...

Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah to add to what others will say about this ... if you really like this car ... change your own oil as a way to protect it ... it will only take one sloppy tech to destroy the engine with the wrong oil (they are so used to 5w-30) or the wrong amount of oil ...

Old 06-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When I changed my oil I don't remember there being a drain plug gasket.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: 1st Service Issue/Nightmare

Also...the tires cannot be rotated, we have a staggered fitment.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:44 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
Also...the tires cannot be rotated, we have a staggered fitment.
The OEM tires are not unidirectional and are rotated side to side rather than front to back. The rotation procedure & schedule is listed in the owner's manual.

Those of us that have aftermarket tires with unidirectional treads would need to unmount & re-mount the tires on the opposite side in order to rotate them.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iamfink2
When I changed my oil I don't remember there being a drain plug gasket.
The gasket is a metal crush washer, but if you re-torque the drain plug to 22 ft/lbs you can reuse the old one a few times. However, they are so cheap, like $0.10 each I bought a couple dozen of them when I bought my filters and was replacing them with every oil change. However, now I don't even use them since I switched to the Top Sider to change my oil. I know there has been some controversy regarding the use of the Top Sider, but it is taking me darn near 8.5 quarts to oil to top my oil back off after a change so I think it works pretty darn well.