Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

My car has a funny musty smell

Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car has a funny musty smell

I recently purchased a 2006 limited convertible and when I first saw it, I noticed it had a real bad musty smell in the interior. I was told my the sales staff that "they all have that smell". I bought the car anyway but now I am concerned that something might be leaking in the engine and the smell is coming into the A/C vents.

I went to the Chrysler dealership and the service tech said the same thing, "they all smell like that". He recommended that I spray Lysol spray on the vents near the windshield.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: My car has a funny musty smell

They all smell uniquely different than what we have been used to. That American new car smell does not exist.don' t search for a problem that doesn't exist. You'll get used to it.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by debradegiovanni
I recently purchased a 2006 limited convertible and when I first saw it, I noticed it had a real bad musty smell in the interior. I was told my the sales staff that "they all have that smell". I bought the car anyway but now I am concerned that something might be leaking in the engine and the smell is coming into the A/C vents.

I went to the Chrysler dealership and the service tech said the same thing, "they all smell like that". He recommended that I spray Lysol spray on the vents near the windshield.

The smell could come from the AC unit. Also the air intake under the cowl could be allowing water to enter the car because the drains under the cowl are blocked with debris. This would get the inside wet and it would eventually smell.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read my post in this thread https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...een-stink.html
If it's the 'crayon" smell what I did eliminated it.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by debradegiovanni

OK Debra . . . a few things . . .

1) No, they DON'T all smell like that! It's ridiculous that anyone would tell you that!

2) STAY AWAY from the Chrysler Stealerships. They know little or nothing about these cars and A LOT about how to get into your wallet. Always check here FIRST if you're having an issue with your Crossfire.

3) Sorry but you have posted about your problem in the wrong section of this forum (hence the delayed responses). This section if for those that are having a problems with this web site. You should have posted your issue up in the "Technical" section of the forum under the subtopic "Interior" . . . EDIT 09/27: I asked the forum moderator to move your post to the correct location.

4) BUT before crying for help, you should always first use the "search" tools available on this forum to find information about your problem. This forum has an extensive archive of information covering every issue that can possibly affect Crossfires along with HOW TO fix those issues.
a) Go to the top of the page and hover your mouse over the "tools" tab. Then on the drop down menu click on "Advanced Search".
b) In the Key Words box type in a few words about your issue . . . ie: "musty smell" and then go to the bottom and click on "Search Now".

Voila . .. Everything you could possibly want to know about your issue (and more) will be there for your reading pleasure. The more you use the search function the better you'll get at bringing up the pertinent information you seek.

Now . . . Having said that . . . You should start by changing out your cabin air filter and also clean out the drains that are under the plastic cowl cover under your windshield wiper arms. Also peel back the carpet on the passenger side foot area (grab the carpet at the top and simply pull it down and back). Check to see if the carpet or padding is damp. That would be an indication that your drain tubes are clogged. Clean out the drain tubes and dry out the carpet & padding completely. Then get some spray on carpet cleaner (like the 409 brand) . . spray the carpet, scrub it in with a scrub brush, let it dry and then vacuum the carpeting. I recommend that you remove the seats so you can clean the carpeting under there too.

Forum member Onehundred80 has prepared a listing of common Crossfire issues and how to fix them. Look here:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post585345

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by RED DOG; 09-27-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

'Dog beat me to it. It's most likely just the cabin air filter. They get very fuuuuunky after one year.

Buy a new one. Or two-for next year. They are very easy to find, even at chain carparts stores. They are available in charcoal-impregnated. Best choice for $2 more.

It's located above the passenger's feet in a rectangular box you can easily access. Slide the 2 clips over and pop the cover off.
Pull the funky filter out. DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT IT! GROSS! Look at the way it's installed, as it's easy to forget and you're working upside down. It's a kinda' tight fit.
Put the new one in and replace the cover.

My Crossie is garaged, but it stinks pretty bad after a year. It's a Spring Cleaning item...

But, of course, the drains may be plugged. Make sure they work...

Last edited by maxcichon; 09-26-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
'Dog beat me to it. It's most likely just the cabin air filter. They get very fuuuuunky after one year.

Buy a new one. Or two-for next year. They are very easy to find, even at chain carparts stores. They are available in charcoal-impregnated. Best choice for $2 more.

It's located above the passenger's feet in a rectangular box you can easily access. Slide the 2 clips over and pop the cover off.
Pull the funky filter out. DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT IT! GROSS! Look at the way it's installed, as it's easy to forget and you're working upside down. It's a kinda' tight fit.
Put the new one in and replace the cover.

My Crossie is garaged, but it stinks pretty bad after a year. It's a Spring Cleaning item...

But, of course, the drains may be plugged. Make sure they work...
I have had my charcoal filter in for nearly four years and it does not smell, maybe in more humid climates it turns into a lab experiment. It certainly would smell if it got wet from clogged drains.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have had my charcoal filter in for nearly four years and it does not smell, maybe in more humid climates it turns into a lab experiment. It certainly would smell if it got wet from clogged drains.
I'm pretty sure the sole reason for the 12 month life is the elevated humidity we have to suffer.

Daily...