Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Engine Knocking...

Old 07-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Knocking...

I heard my engine knocking this morning after driving little hard... what do you think it could be... I am not sure when the oil change was done, the car has 5,109 miles on it... any suggestions or comments would be appreciated...

ak.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Default Re: Engine Knocking...

I don't think you should be driving it hard at 5k. The seals are probably still setting.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by anilkumar
I heard my engine knocking this morning after driving little hard... what do you think it could be... I am not sure when the oil change was done, the car has 5,109 miles on it... any suggestions or comments would be appreciated...

ak.
Depends on the sound and volume of the knock... I had a very unusual thing happen to me at the track a couple of weeks ago... After my second 20 minute run in 105 heat, I pulled into the paddock and heard a really loud knocking... My immediate thought was that I bent a valve, pushrod, lifter, whatever... After a little under-hood investigation, it turned out that one of my sparkplug caps had popped from the plug... Oddly enough, it turns out that when one of the 12 plugs stops operating properly, the engine sounds like it's destroyed a valve, pushrod, lifter, whatever ... Hope this helps you track down the problem...

Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Thanks, I am not sure what the noise is... I will take it to the dealership and figure it out, also get the oil changed too... I will let you know...

Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 PM

i'd be interested in your results. i hear a quiet knocking in the mornings when i first start up but everything seems fine performance wise and it's been like this for months. dealer can't here it or find anything wrong.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:31 PM

I just replied to a similar post. Look up my past postings and problems i had with a base coupe when they first came out. I had the car lemon'd for the same problem. Its a defect in the lifters as its been proven in the replacement of my lifters in my CLK 320 3 times since new.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Forum Regular

Mine is a little noisy also. Should it be covered under the remainder of my Powertrain Warranty because my Full Warranty is up? It has 12,000 miles on it and now it has a little knock to it now when it's cold but it's due for an oil change. I got it at 5,000 miles and it was just as noisy then, but now it knocks a little until it gets warmed up. It reminds me of the Neons we've had. They're all noisy when they're cold and they're fine when they warm up, so I haven't worried too much about it at least for now to see if it got worse.

Last edited by No Warning Shot; 07-15-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDP
Depends on the sound and volume of the knock... I had a very unusual thing happen to me at the track a couple of weeks ago... After my second 20 minute run in 105 heat, I pulled into the paddock and heard a really loud knocking... My immediate thought was that I bent a valve, pushrod, lifter, whatever... After a little under-hood investigation, it turned out that one of my sparkplug caps had popped from the plug... Oddly enough, it turns out that when one of the 12 plugs stops operating properly, the engine sounds like it's destroyed a valve, pushrod, lifter, whatever ... Hope this helps you track down the problem...
Just a note on the ECU behavior which I discovered after an intermittent plug problem I had a while back:
When the ECU detects a misfire it shuts that particular cylinder down to prevent damage to the cats. it will usually throw a P0300 code (random misfire) then a P030x misfire on cylinder x, where x is the cylinder number it shut down. It will run dog rough and sound like a bag of spanners at idle, especially if it starts shutting down more cylinders, until you shut down and restart. After that all will be well again assuming you fixed the problem.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Yeah it should be covered under the 7/70 powertrain. SRT6's unfortunately are not covered under the 7/70 unless you buy optional warranty. I also think that all 2006 models and up chrysler is no longer offering 7/70 powertrain.

However the problem is getting the dealer to want to fix it. They have ZERO understanding on the MB 3.2 V6 and all its components. The dealer does not know how to fix these cars at all. I've had my fair share with three crossfires and not once have they ever fixed anything right until i made friends with the service manager at the dealer where i got the car and explained to him how familiar i am with the 3.2 V6 as my Mercedes had the same problem and MB replaced the heads 2 times and lifters once and at that point he took me serious and anything i told them to fix, he'd fix. Other than that they just love to claim "Operating To MFR SPECS" yeah RIGHT and give you back the car.