Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

crossfire vs. Z4 coupe

Old 07-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question crossfire vs. Z4 coupe

Hey folks,

I am about a year into my ownership into my crossfire, which I really like. I have however recently been tempted by the Z4 coupe.

I would like to hear people's opinions/experiences on making the switch. I would consider the Z4 m coupe as well although the price difference is more significant.

My assessment (having not driven the Z4 coupe and relying on reviews and drives of other BMW products, M3, 330ci, 545i) is as follows:

I believe the overall driving experience would be better in the BMW, greater communication in steering and handling, smoother more polished engine (inline 6 vs. v6), stronger acceleration.

I have not driven any vehicle that has compared to a BMW in its ability to deliver a true "sport" experience.

From a styling perspective, the Z4 coupe is beautiful and in my view a classic. I do love the crossfire from many angles...I actually parked the crossfire next to an M coupe and it compared quite favorably. Both cars are quite unique.

the question is really whether the enhanced driving experience is worth the money?

What do you think?

Old 07-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: crossfire vs. Z4 coupe

I traded a Z4 in on my SRT6. The Z4 is a very nice car, however if you read what the experts say, they haven't been overly kind to the Z4. While the Xfire's steering may not be quite as precise as some others (I personally think it is just fine) the Z4's electric PS has been chided regularly for lack of feel. No question the base Z4 coupe will outperform the base and limited Xfire, as you put it, it does cost a lot more as well.

My advice, get one of those fire sale SRT6s. You'll save about $15K and get a much better car. Now of course if you would rather spend an extra $25-$30K for an M Coupe, they might compare pretty close. But then again for the same money you could have both an SRT6 roadster and a SRT6 coupe.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:59 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zless
I would like to hear people's opinions/experiences on making the switch.
Hmmm. I considered a Z4 3.0 Roadster before I bought the SRT6. No matter how hard I tried, could not help but think of SNL's Ambiguously Gay Duo car (the Z4 coupe reminds me of it even more).

The SRT6 Roadster was the way to go for me; cheaper, more unique, and more powerful than the Z4 3.0.
Plus, I see Z4s and M Roadsters all the time - never see another SRT6.

IMO the Crossfire (any model) looks better than any style Z4 (coupe or vert).

Do whatever makes you happy though.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Z4 M Coupe if anything. Z4 no. Have seen a few of the Z4 M's. The XFire and it are similar in their polarizing styling. Its not for everyone. Simply from a styling standpoint they both have their positives and negatives. The Z4 M looks much smaller but has a more lean mean muscle machine outer image. Those dual deuce deuce exhausts are pretty bad *** looking. The Xfire on the other hand looks a bit more refined in a sense and classic but not as aggressive (although it does look pretty mean). From what I have heard if you want a BMW ride... only a BMW will do - no exceptions. If you want an affordable, fast, and attractive sports coupe with great performance... get the SRT6. Best of luck.