Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire meets the hood: Part Deux

Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Crossfire meets the hood: Part Deux

This time I hope I didn't offend anybody, especially the "Creator" Eric Stoddard.
Sorry I've been off line for so long, but our 2nd computer crashed, so we have a new one ordered. I'm using a friends today.
Seeing the Crossfire Crew at Woodward was great, it's always good to get together with old friends, and to meet new ones. My friend Gene "Sandman 50" said he had a great time too, even though his classic 1979 Vette looked a little different parked next to our Crossfires. I realized at the show, that we've been going to Car shows together for over 40 years now.
I want to thank everybody for the positive feedback on my custom hood. I realize it may not be for everybody, but that's cool. After all, if everybody liked the same thing, we'd probably all be driving Deloreons.
In response to '62 Thunderbird and Rock, who think using a 1970 style hood scoop on a Crossfire is just wrong, all I can say is:
Since the XF coupe is an Art Deco design to begin with, and it uses a fastback style roof that hasn't been seen on any other cars since 1968, I felt that installing a scoop that was designed in the late 60's was very appropriate. Especially when the scoops silhouette follows the contour of the Crossfires coupes roofline so closely.
And the fact that it's non-functional is purely incidental, when you consider that there are Millions of high Performance cars on the road today with faux hood scoops.
Besides, a hood scoop is more of a fashion statement, than a performance enhancement most of the time anyway.
I did have some reservations about eliminating the hood strakes, because that is a "Signature" of the Crossfire. But I knew there was no way I could have both, and I wanted the scoop more. Chrysler then made my decision alot easier when they decided to start putting hood strakes on family sedans, and suv's. I still like them a lot, but it kills me everytime I see a 4 dr. sedan Sebring coming at me on the road. But since I installed the scooped hood, it doesn't bother me nearly as much.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Crossfire meets the hood: Part Deux

I just wanted to say, since I've seen it in person, that it's really quite lovely.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire meets the hood: Part Deux

wish i saw it in person... maybe this has been answered already but i wanted to ask... how heavy was it on the pocket... cause I like it maybe I should add it to my things to do to my car that is if you don't mind...

Old 08-30-2007, 05:57 PM

It does look good in person, however it is really going to distract people from the Packard hood ornament.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:08 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
This time I hope I didn't offend anybody.
Hey, what do you mean by the 'HOOD'?

Old 08-30-2007, 07:47 PM
RPM

Saw it in person at Woodward.
The craftsmanship is FANTASTIC.
It almost looks like it could have been an option of some sort (has the spine/split down the middle).

Am I going to rush out and do it to mine? No, my 4Runner has a hood scoop and that's plenty for me.
+fireamx's car certainly stands out when it is parked next to 19 other Crossfires, that's for sure.
I hope to see it again next August - .

Old 08-31-2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by RPM
+fireamx's car certainly stands out when it is parked next to 19 other Crossfires, that's for sure.
That's one reason I don't feel so bad about missing the Crossfire "family" photo at Woodward. I didn't want to be responsible for breaking up the "Rockette" style symmetry of the chorus line.

By the way RPM, you did a great job organizing the event, as always, I plan on coming next year. It's one automotive get together I refuse to miss.
I hope next year even more Crossfire owners can find time to make it. I'm sure they won't be disappointed they came.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is amazing! A forum member parts with "tradition" and creates something unique and personal. Not everyone would do it or even likes it, BUT respect is being shown for another's opinion and taste.

Pardon my choice of words, but what a breath of fresh air! Kudos to everyone.

Can world peace be far behind? LOL.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Part Deux has certainly created some controversy but doesn't even come close to the original. I also saw +fireamx's hood scoop in person and can attest to the superb workmanship. I'm pretty sure that the metal work probably looks better than the original AMX hood.
Plus he's got something that's unique for now...No I'm not thinking about doing one.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Life is random...so am I.

I have to agree with everyone else...Would I do it to my car...probably not. But when you take the whole car into context it looks excellent! Great craftsmanship, good theme (new AMX), and a VERY striking silhouette!

Kudos go out to someone making their car what THEY want it to be, not what everyone else thinks it should be!

BTW...did you make it to the Chrysler corner and see the AMC's they had on display?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by apkano
BTW...did you make it to the Chrysler corner and see the AMC's they had on display?
No I didn't make it to the Chrysler show. I've been going to the Woodward cruise for 11 years now and I always miss it.
On Sunday there is a big AMC show I always go to, not too far from Woodward, but I thought it was rained out this year so I didn't go. But as it turned out they had it anyway. Oh well, maybe next year.