Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Another tire question

Old 09-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another tire question

Well, I finally got the new tires put on my car...but... the tires are rubbing up against the splash guard(or something underneath there)... I took it to Chrysler to fix it. When I picked it up, it didn't make a noise for a few blocks then started rubbing again. Any ideas of what should be done to correct this or what is causing this? They are the right size tires - everyone has checked numerous times, lol.

Thank you!!

-Eva-

Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Another tire question

Has it been lowered or equipped with aftermarket wheels?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:45 PM

Nope, all stock with continental tires.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

225/40-18's in front?
255/35-19's in rear?

I know that there are dispersion in tire sizes from one brand to others regardless of what is stated on the tire, but not enough to create a problem IMO. The only people that have had problems were on cars with lowered suspension. Other have installed oversized tires with no problems. You don't say whether its front or rear? L or R or both sides? Have you tried taking back to where you purchased your tires?
Let us know the outcome.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:52 PM

According to Chrysler, the front passenger splash guard needs to be replaced... They said that the tires are the correct size. They didn't specify why it needed to be replaced, but I guess there's nothing I can do until they put the new one on and see if that fixes the problem.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Hi Eva,

Check to see if the slash guards are loose and sagging down onto the tyre. They are only held in place with silly plastic clips which may be loose. Good luck !

Steve

Old 09-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Well, that's what they did when I first took my car in - they said it had just come loose and that they had clipped it back in place. But it started rubbing again after I drove a few blocks, so I took it back and they said it needed to be replaced...

Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 PM

I'll take a guess at what happened. One or more clips were broken but they managed to push the splash guard up and they hoped that they would stay put. Obviously it didn't so back it goes again so they can do the repair the way it should have been done in the first place. I'm not one to complain much about Chrysler service (although many on this forum do) but this falls under the category of never time to do it right, always time to do it twice. Oh, brother...

Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 PM

Lol. I felt pretty lucky that the manager actually cared about the customer service. He actually rode in the car with me to see what noise I was talking about and then gave a nice talking to the guy who had done the work on it. And they're crediting what I paid them towards the repairs for when they receive the part. So I'm content. Just wish I didn't have to pay to replace the whole thing.

I'm already feeling like I've overpaid for the car... $17,000 for an '04 with $45,000 miles and I had to replace the tires and now this...only had it for 2 months.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 AM

I know how you feel. After reading all the threads about how much people paid for which year of XF with such and such mileage, it can be a little discouraging at times. (I, too, had to replace my tires within a few months.) I didn't pay very much for mine (also higher mileage than most) and it seems that somebody is always getting a better deal. But after a while, I became immune to it. I was happy with the deal when I made it and now I have a XF with Goodyear F1's and I didn't have to spend a couple of years wearing out the OEM tires before I got them. Somebody is ALWAYS going to get a better deal kinda like somebody is always going to have a faster car. I learned a long time ago (and this applies to real estate, electronics, computers, cars, etc.) buy what you like and can afford and don't look back. As one member says, Enjoy the Ride!