Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Dealership Tire Issue

Old 09-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership Tire Issue

So i got 2 front tires, the Conti Continental Contact ones, got about 10k miles on them and the front left one is faulty. A belt or something inside slipped and its wearing heavily on the side closer to the engine. I also get a bad thump thump thump noise.

Anyways i took it in today and the service guy told me he's never seen that and it could be caused by hitting a pot hole. Bullsh*t, its practically a new tire. He said he has to talk to the tire manufacturer to see if they warranty it. I'm going to end up going above some peoples heads to get a new tire.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Default Re: Dealership Tire Issue

Actually, from what I've heard, low profile tires are prone to bulging and such when they hit a curb or pot-hole. *shrug* Just what I've heard. I had to replace all four of my tires on a car I just bought - so I know you're pain. I got the pro-rated warranty on my tires... should've gone for the full coverage on them, but didn't have that extra $$ laying around after the $1,000 for the tires, lol.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:02 AM

Oh I've had my bad luck streak also. Nail in the front left, rock in the middle of the road hit the front right, 5 inch nail in the 2-day old back left tire. Never fails. I have them all under warranty with direct tires, so maybe they can replace it if chrysler doesn't.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:56 AM

Hi there, I am a new user and what did I find but the answer perhaps to my problem with my srt6. I also have a thumping noise in the front of my car that is noticable at lower speeds. Usually 30kms or less. One dealership says yup something is wrong but they dont know what (great) the next dealership says that my rim is bent on the inside. So I phone the rim place and they advise that unless I am getting vibrations at high speeds then that's not the issue. So how would I find out if my tire has a belt etc that has slipped? I had it to a tire place and they said that the tires are fine and suggested wheel bearing are the issue....so off i went again to the dealership where they more or less patted me on the head and said of course they had checked the wheel bearings and they were fine. What exactly is the point in having a warranty if its good for nothing? I live in Canada and here these cars where sold for almost 70 grand which is not cheap. You would thing that for that price the warranty would be good for more that a pat on the head and dont let the door hit you in the *** on the way out!!..,....FRUSTRATED!!!

Last edited by xfirechick; 11-03-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Arcrist
So i got 2 front tires, the Conti Continental Contact ones, got about 10k miles on them and the front left one is faulty. A belt or something inside slipped and its wearing heavily on the side closer to the engine. I also get a bad thump thump thump noise.

Anyways i took it in today and the service guy told me he's never seen that and it could be caused by hitting a pot hole. Bullsh*t, its practically a new tire. He said he has to talk to the tire manufacturer to see if they warranty it. I'm going to end up going above some peoples heads to get a new tire.
Car makers and dealers do not warranty tires on a new vehicle. You should of got a tire warranty card for your brand with your owner's books and warranty package. Consider yourself lucky if your dealer is even trying to help you....

Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 PM

point taken if of course the tires are the issue. My problem is that no one can tell me what the issue is. I keep paying $ at the dealerships for them to give me different things to investigate. Isnt that their job?

Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Forum Regular

I would say it's there job to rule out alignment, shocks etc etc., which are all wear items and have
a limited warranty. If you are going to the dealer for this work and paying for it, you messed up. If
your car is out of warranty on the wear items, the dealer is the last place I would go. You should be
going to an indepent tire and alignment shop. Once they rule that stuff out, then you take all your
paperwork and do battle with the tire maker.

Good luck and keep us posted as to the outcome....

Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately tires have their own warranty. You're going to need to go to the tire store. I have also heard of breaking belts on low profile tires by hitting anything sharp. It sucks, and it happens, but Chrysler doesn't pay for tires. Unfortunately most dealers won't either. We always send people to the Tire stores if they have issues. The only exceptions being if they bought the car from us, or if they purchased the tires through us. At that point we will do the running around for the customer, but it is going to need to go to Michelin or Continental.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM

Thanks for all the info. If it was the tire I have no issue paying for a new one. My problem is that no one can tell me. I would have thought that the Chrysler dealership would know......Oh well its getting the bent rim fixed right now even thou the rim place has told me that it wasnt big enough to cause the issue that i described to them. Hopefully they are wrong and it is the rim and it will be like brand new again.