Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Winter Storage - Flat Spots On Tires

Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage - Flat Spots On Tires

Another winter storage question...when I used to store my Corvette, in the spring when I took it out there were flat spots on the tires, but they soon disappeared after putting some miles on the car. Can I just do the same with the Crossfire? Are they low profile tires going to do Ok after 6 months in storage? I really don't want to bother with jacking the car up, etc. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:36 PM
RPM
Default Re: Winter Storage - Flat Spots On Tires

I use styrofoam-type insulation from Lowe's or Home Depot and put a section under each tire. It keeps the tires off of the cold (and sometimes moist) concrete while giving enough cushion to prevent flat spots.
Hope that helps.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM

Thank you for the styrofoam insulation idea. I assume I place it on the floor and then drive the car on it. Is that correct? Thanks again; I appreciate the help.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by xfirelvr
Thank you for the styrofoam insulation idea. I assume I place it on the floor and then drive the car on it. Is that correct? Thanks again; I appreciate the help.
Yes. There will probably be a few thicknesses to choose from. I try to get the thickest I can drive the car onto.
Also, you may want to buy a couple of tarps (the big blue kind) to put underneath the car (to hold moisture down from coming through the floor).
In short, I put tarps on the garage floor, foam sheets on top of the tarp (where the tires will go), drive it onto the foam, and cover w/a car cover.

Also, make sure to use STA-BIL or the like in your gas, put a thing of baking soda or mothballs inside, and change the oil/filter prior to storage.

Here are a couple of sites that have some good tips for storage:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/show/storage.shtml

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_...86.html?page=1

Old 09-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

xfirelvr,

I have been putting my Crossfire into winter storage for past three years and I have been using 1" thick rubber mats under the tires that I bought at Hoe Depot and I have not had any issues with flat spots. Last year I started unloading the suspension while it was in storage to keep it from sagging here is the Link to jacks I used. The only thing I am going to do different this year is start the car once a month and allow it to come up to temperature before shutting it off. Last Spring when I started the car off I had a lot of lifter noise which I never had other years when I would start it occasionally before I started using the battery minder. I am guessing that sitting for so long (5 months) without being started allowed all the of the oil to run off the valve train and it was probably a little dry. I am sure it didn't do it any good, but positive note the lifter noise as never returned.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem last year when I used the battery maintainer. I plan on starting my car once a month. Didn't like the sound of lifter noise for the first few minutes. It can't be good for the engine.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Forum Regular

Jack the car up.