Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Car show fun last night

Old 09-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Car show fun last night

I got talked into taking my car to a show last night by a friend of mine. Long story short is I won the import class. My buddy who talked me into this has an incredible '37 Ford Street rod and one of the best '55 Chevys in the country, but he decided to take his 2008 Corvette instead. When we registered he told me to go into the Import class, which I did. I ended up getting harassed by some of the import guys since they thought Crossfires were made in Detroit. I did convince them the car was imported from Germany. One of them almost started a fight claiming that if is a Chrylser it cannot be an import no matter where in the world it is built. The ricers were not really happy I was in their class, but the majority of the participants that did the voting had V8's under their hoods so you can guess how they might have voted. I could care less as I was having fun meeting people and talking cars all night. It was a great time! As soon as the site works where we can upload pictures I will get them posted. I was able to take a couple of good pictures.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car show fun last night

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I got talked into taking my car to a show last night by a friend of mine. Long story short is I won the import class. My buddy who talked me into this has an incredible '37 Ford Street rod and one of the best '55 Chevys in the country, but he decided to take his 2008 Corvette instead. When we registered he told me to go into the Import class, which I did. I ended up getting harassed by some of the import guys since they thought Crossfires were made in Detroit. I did convince them the car was imported from Germany. One of them almost started a fight claiming that if is a Chrylser it cannot be an import no matter where in the world it is built. The ricers were not really happy I was in their class, but the majority of the participants that did the voting had V8's under their hoods so you can guess how they might have voted. I could care less as I was having fun meeting people and talking cars all night. It was a great time! As soon as the site works where we can upload pictures I will get them posted. I was able to take a couple of good pictures.
great win show the rices a great car.

dennis

Old 09-23-2007, 05:54 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Car show fun last night

Good for you! Looking forward to the pics.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:38 PM

I have pictures ready to post but I can't get it to work. Silverfox told me that there is something wrong with the site.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 501 Likes on 345 Posts

So glad you won the award.
Must have sent those rice burners home pissed off.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Car show fun last night

Congrats on the Win! I'll look forward to those pics, when the Upload is fixed in the Gallery.

SF

Old 09-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
WTF - Here we are in europe trying to get the crossfire accepted at car shows in Europe as a class American Car (and even winning prizes) - and at the same tame you good old boys are getting it classed as an import ... this really makes me want to puke ... some thing is really wrong here... what exactly do I class my crossfire as at the next american car show I want to go to? ...RANT...

Last edited by bollox; 09-24-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

LantanaTX,

Congratulations on the win!

bollox,

The vehicle IS an import to those of us from the United States (i.e. - built in another country, in this case Germany, and imported to the United States). It doesn't really matter what manufacturer badge it has on it.

You can even argue that some of the Toyotas built today are classed 'domestic' because they are built here. (Well, North America at least)

If you live outside Germany, you may be able to claim it's an 'import' ... but it's definitely NOT a vehicle built in North America or the United States.

Hope that helps... Cheers!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:38 PM

The first win, of many to come to the DFW'ers...

I can't wait to til we are done modding our cars (well the first time) and we show to car shows and people are like saying things like "Man, those cars should be trailered" or we are able to say things like "Yea, I saw this really awesome looking Ferrari, in my rearview the other day)! j/k'ing, but you get the picture...

Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 PM

I was worried that if I classed it as Domestic the people who knew better would give me grief. It turned out that about half the people there knew its origins and the other half believed it to be all american made. I was even asked about the Mercedes wheels and if I used wheel adapters to get them to bolt on. I tried to explain to that person that you can't put Chrysler wheels on a Crossfire because the bold pattern is Mercedes. The guy looked at me like I was full of %&*. I really had a fun time showing it. It had been a long time since I had shown a car. the last being my Cobra in the gallery. I will be showing again this weekend at show that our church is putting on. I think in the future I will try for classes that are generic to origin. BTW, I traded a Mercedes built in Alabama for a Chrysler built in Germany!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bollox
WTF - Here we are in europe trying to get the crossfire accepted at car shows in Europe as a class American Car (and even winning prizes) - and at the same tame you good old boys are getting it classed as an import ... this really makes me want to puke ... some thing is really wrong here... what exactly do I class my crossfire as at the next american car show I want to go to? ...RANT...

Just smile and wave, while knowing you sneaked it into an American show with nobody being the wiser. You could probably take it to a German car show just as easily.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:49 PM

Here is picture from the show.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sept22show640 1.jpg (160.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice going Lantana - we have a meet every Sunday morning, no trophies but I'd guess almost 100 cars and double that in people. Its great fun and there are a few of the hot rodders who probably wonder why we are there but its an open event and we get every thing from beat up rat rods to Ferraris. The main thing is we have fun showing our cars.

Pat