Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Pls Need Help From The Xfire Pro's

Old 10-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pls Need Help From The Xfire Pro's

I left my left my lights on over night... woke up and of course the battery would not start... Call chrysler road side ... and 45 min later CAA came with Battery charging truck... the guy boosted my car ... and the car still would Not start... He checked the battery and its fine now...

It's as if I have kill switch but I don't!!

I turn the key and nothing happens it does Not even make a revving sound or feel like its trying to start... yet the lights & everything else are fully working...

Anyone know what I can do? Please help!!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Pls Need Help From The Xfire Pro's

Originally Posted by Extensive
I left my left my lights on over night... woke up and of course the battery would not start... Call chrysler road side ... and 45 min later CAA came with Battery charging truck... the guy boosted my car ... and the car still would Not start... He checked the battery and its fine now...

It's as if I have kill switch but I don't!!

I turn the key and nothing happens it does Not even make a revving sound or feel like its trying to start... yet the lights & everything else are fully working...

Anyone know what I can do? Please help!!
Does the remote work the locks?

Old 10-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '04 did the same thing to me. I had enough juice to run the lights but it refused to turn over. I ended up replacing the battery and then it started.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Pls Need Help From The Xfire Pro's

Originally Posted by crossfirefun
My '04 did the same thing to me. I had enough juice to run the lights but it refused to turn over. I ended up replacing the battery and then it started.
If you purchased your car used or new and it was sitting on the dealers lot for a long period of time, then maybe a new battery is in order.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:08 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You can make sure the battery connectors are on tight. I had a similar situation, and the issue went away after I tighten them.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by SRT-6 Steve
Does the remote work the locks?
Yes everything works fine... since I got the boost... But the car won't start... I can turn everything that uses power on... but when I turn the key it not catching at anything...

Same feeling as starting a car with a kill switch no deactivated... if you can picture...

Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
If you purchased your car used or new and it was sitting on the dealers lot for a long period of time, then maybe a new battery is in order.
The CAA guy said the battery after he boosted it is holding a charge fine.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM

I had a similar thing happen on my '82 Grand Prix, once. One of the cells in the battery had gone... it had enough juice to run headlights and accessories but there wasn't enough current to crank the starter. A new battery fixed it.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 PM

I would check your dash/ignition fuses...I was tinkering with my stereo when I was installing it and I pulled a wrong fuse, all the lights worked and everything but the car didn't start.

Just another suggestion.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 PM

Sorry I'll probably be of no help but when my coupe was new we left the lights on and ran the battery. I put it on a slow charger for a few hours and it's worked perfect for 4 years now. Maybe you need a good solid charge first. No reason it should not start if there are ample cranking amps available. Chargers are not expensive and they'll work for you for years.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
I would check your dash/ignition fuses...I was tinkering with my stereo when I was installing it and I pulled a wrong fuse, all the lights worked and everything but the car didn't start.

Just another suggestion.
where would I find this fuse? thanks.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Punkin
Sorry I'll probably be of no help but when my coupe was new we left the lights on and ran the battery. I put it on a slow charger for a few hours and it's worked perfect for 4 years now. Maybe you need a good solid charge first. No reason it should not start if there are ample cranking amps available. Chargers are not expensive and they'll work for you for years.
when the guy came from CAA he tried 3 methods of boosting... he said my battery had more then enough juice + was now holding a charge fine... but it still would Not start not even attempt to start I turn it to the right only thing that happens is the lights dash etc power on... my not even a clicking sound from the starter.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:50 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Is your car a manual or automatic transmission?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Default My money's on the battery

My car's an automatic and I just replaced the battery. I had the same symptoms as yours, everything worked but the motor wouldn't turn over, no clicking from the solenoid. Left it on a charger overnight and it started, but a couple of days later, same thing. Replaced the battery, no problems since.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:27 PM

This has been the one ongoing problem with my '04 Limited XF. Will start every day for weeks and then the one day I really want to take it out for a drive and it won't start. Sometimes I can wait 20 minutes and it will start; sometimes a couple of hours; sometimes the next day. Have taken it in twice to 2 different dealers (both very good BTW). They have tested everything and can't find anything wrong. The dealer last week told me the next time it happens to have it towed in immediately so they can check it out. I really worry about loading my XF on a flatbed and taking it out there. With my luck it will be towed/carried to the dealer and it will start right up. Sounds just like your problem - all lights on the dash come on, can even hear the engine fan starting up but not a sound from the starter, no clicking, nothing. Again, wait a while and it starts right up. Very annoying and each time it happens I start looking on the web for a new car. Then, once it starts up again, I can't believe I even thought about getting something else.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Just as a favor to you guys, I'll start digging into the wiring schematics of the Crossfire.

Actually, it gives me something to do while I'm sitting in a hotel room, and I'd be more than happy to!

I MISS MY BABY!!!

UPDATE: It looks most likely to be a grounding issue. It is also possible that it is the "Park/Neutral switch". Is this happening to both auto and manual trans vehicles?

Last edited by apkano; 10-11-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by apkano
Just as a favor to you guys, I'll start digging into the wiring schematics of the Crossfire.

Actually, it gives me something to do while I'm sitting in a hotel room, and I'd be more than happy to!

I MISS MY BABY!!!

UPDATE: It looks most likely to be a grounding issue. It is also possible that it is the "Park/Neutral switch". Is this happening to both auto and manual trans vehicles?
I know I have downloaded all of the manuals, but I have yet to take a look. Does any of these ones in the manuals thread contain the wiring harness info ?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:28 AM

Mine is an Auto. I too thought it might be a park/neutral issue so last night (yes, it wouldn't start last night after a week of starting fine) I tried shifting the gears a number of times. Nope still didn't start. I will try it this morning and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts right up. I'm really disappointed with this and am going to starting calling and writing letters. Every piece of $^!t on the road will start but not my XF. What good is it if it drives great but I can't drive it?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:53 AM

Ok, I couldn't stand it so I just went outside and tried to start my XF. As I suspected, STARTED RIGHT UP! This is why I really hesitate having it towed to a dealer the next time it doesn't start because, by the time I get it there, it will start and they won't be able to diagnose what's wrong. I may just have to take it in and let them try to start it for a week or two until it happens at their place. I believe it has to do with the security system (SKREEM?) but the manual said that codes are stored if there is any problems with this unit and no codes appear. Either this is a complicated issue that is hard to diagnose or it's something as simple as needing a new battery, which I hope the dealer would have checked first. Since mine's an '04 maybe I'll just replace the battery since I will have to do it one day anyway and see if it still has starting issues.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenwick223
Ok, I couldn't stand it so I just went outside and tried to start my XF. As I suspected, STARTED RIGHT UP! This is why I really hesitate having it towed to a dealer the next time it doesn't start because, by the time I get it there, it will start and they won't be able to diagnose what's wrong. I may just have to take it in and let them try to start it for a week or two until it happens at their place. I believe it has to do with the security system (SKREEM?) but the manual said that codes are stored if there is any problems with this unit and no codes appear. Either this is a complicated issue that is hard to diagnose or it's something as simple as needing a new battery, which I hope the dealer would have checked first. Since mine's an '04 maybe I'll just replace the battery since I will have to do it one day anyway and see if it still has starting issues.
If your car cranks but won't start occasionally or dies as you come to a stop light, it is probably the crank position sensor. This is a very common problem with these engines as they get a little older. As these Crossfires are now getting a little older I'll bet we will see this problem all the time. If it won't do anything occasionally I would check the park/neutral safety switch.

Quick Reply: Pls Need Help From The Xfire Pro's