Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

which cars can we beat, keep up with, smoke, or run from?!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which cars can we beat, keep up with, smoke, or run from?!

i hope this thread can be a work in progress. i don't race my car, but there's always "I wonder what would happen" situations when people DO try to race me.

i never know what would really happen though, so here's to you guys that have had experience (or great theory)!

this is only a non srt 6 thread hopefully, because we all know the srt-6 is wickedly fast!

also, please tell us what would happen with a 6 spd and 5 speed automatic.

i'll first start, i think i could take my brothers 2005 stratus r/t (okay, so i know i can, but that is the only time i ever raced i promise)!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: which cars can we beat, keep up with, smoke, or run from?!

auto roadster here...so...not much this thing is slooowww.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a 1999 Toyota Landcruiser off the line...but it was close.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The new civic Si will smoke an XFire... I would know. Damn it.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh good... another one of these threads.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrobinso
The new civic Si will smoke an XFire... I would know. Damn it.
My neighbor has a 2007 Civic Si sedan and I've smoked him. The problem is that car doesn't have a lot of low end torque and you have to rev it high to get into VTEC range.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:01 PM

I never have any higher-end cars trying to race me, only the little baby ones. I get stuff like Sunfires, older Hondas (usually with some punk teenager in them, with an enormous wing), and weird things like conversion vans. I have no idea how my car would hold up to something better.

I did enjoy racing my brothers supped-up Contour and my fiance's Taurus. Now those were some bruised egos.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a blast the 3rd session at Buttonwillow Raceway Park keeping up with a BMW M3 (Sport Tuned)... Now I know the driver and I were about the same skill level as we both missed apexes from time to time.

But I have to say the straight line power, we were dead even. So SRT6 and BMW M3 (about 2002 or so) ... even heat.

Pictures and video to follow soon in it's own little thread.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've almost had my *** kicked by some young chicks driving thier mom's Camry V6, that thing made me sweat, but I pulled away from them, thank God!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:43 PM

A thread about how fast the Crossfire is, or isn't?! That's funny ...

This is probably one of the very few cars I've bought in the last decade where I didn't even stop to wonder if it was fast or not. It's still cool.

Mike

Old 10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What a weird day I had with the Crossfire today, it was like I was in some kind of "Bizarro" world.
After going for nearly two months of intimidating some faster cars so much that they wouldn't try me, (thanks to my hood). I drive my car to work today, and in no time two young guys challenge me before lunch.
What was bazaar about it was I "dusted" some kid in an older Porsche 928 automatic (with a fart can muffler) like he was nothing.
Then I have to restrain myself from racing some youngster in a supercharged Cobalt on the expressway (who followed just 15' off my bumper for over 6 miles at 75 mph). simply because I know he can run a 14.4 1/4 mile.
What's this world coming to?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
What a weird day I had with the Crossfire today, it was like I was in some kind of "Bizarro" world.
After going for nearly two months of intimidating some faster cars so much that they wouldn't try me, (thanks to my hood). I drive my car to work today, and in no time two young guys challenge me before lunch.
What was bazaar about it was I "dusted" some kid in an older Porsche 928 automatic (with a fart can muffler) like he was nothing.
Then I have to restrain myself from racing some youngster in a supercharged Cobalt on the expressway (who followed just 15' off my bumper for over 6 miles at 75 mph). simply because I know he can run a 14.4 1/4 mile.
What's this world coming to?
sounds like its time for some speed parts on your retro AMXF.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:18 PM

I Love This Thread And I've Been Wondering The Same Thing. I Can Tell You That I Won A $300. Bet With This Young Dude That Works Here That Has A '06 Sentra V Their Most Souped Up Model. I Am Bone Dry Stocked And Was Nervous Because My Car Looks Hella Nice And He Got Just Straight Out Called Me Out In A Lunch Room Full Of People For $500. I Didn't Even Know This Lil Punk Because He Isn't In My Pay Bracket But When He Found Out I Had 3 Times That In My Pocket And I Said Lets Go I Was Nervous I Admit. I Went To The Rest Room Got On My Phone Internet And Saw That He Only Had 185 hp And Less Torque Than I Have When I Pee Pee... So I Came Back And Said Man Lets Leave Now... Tore His Azzz Up On The Strip In Front Of Our Office In My Automatic. 1st Gear Was Crappy But 3rd Gear In That Car Aint No Punk... My Crossy Is Bossy... Now I Want To Work On Performance...

Old 10-15-2007, 07:33 PM

i have a 6 spd and have kept up with an s2000 off a launch without a problem. according to the figures on paper, it would depend on the driver. don't mess with an m6 though...haha.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Just messing around today in the parking lot at work I clicked off a 6.08 second 0-45-0.

Actually it was closer to 47 MPH...I was a little slow on the clutch and brake.

I think I could shave at leash 1/2 sec or more off that if our parking lot wasn't in such terrible shape. (patched asphalt and loose gravel).

Old 10-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Forum Regular

first off, don't race. you'll save gas, your life, and your car. plus, you won't have to face the depression of being beaten.

but if you must stay away from (common cars):
corvette (c5 and newer)
Z28
boxster
GTO
350Z (just being honest)
cayman
new altima (3.5)
g35s/g37
mercedes slk 350
wrx sti
lancer evo
any M series bmw
svt lightning f-150
mustang cobra
passat w8
r32 golf
srt-8 charger/300

cars you can hang with/beat (common cars):
mustang gt (interstate)
solstice (slowstice)/sky
v6 mustang and camaro
civic si
rx8
base z4
lotus elise
s2000
miata
tiburon
c4 and older corvette
srt-4 (stock)
charger r/t

probably the most expensive car a regular crossfire can keep up with (in a straight line) is a regular naturally aspirated lotus elise (not exige).

as far as "smoking" vehicles, try racing a stock '98 civic. that's about the only thing you'll leave behind in a matter of seconds (unless you race a 4-cylinder truck or something.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Smile Re: which cars can we beat, keep up with, smoke, or run from?!

Drag racing is a DRAG. Why bother wasting the gas when you can just crunch the numbers. If you get jollies from a muscle car why own a XF. On the other hand if you really want to put man/women and machine to the test, take it to the twisty's and work up a real sweat. Hitting the apex, riding the power curve and not melting the brakes, or motor, takes more skill and machine than just sticking the pedal to the metal.That's what a XF does best. Using that criteria there aren't many my XF can't beat, keep up with, smoke, or run from. Heck, I worry about Porches, not about Sentras, Camry's, and Civics.

05 SSB LTD Cpe

Last edited by X-MAN; 10-16-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 AM

Just have fun with the Crossfire! Anytime you can do something with it that raises the adrenaline, DO IT (just don't get caught, hurt, or broken)!!! Besides, if you can't beat them from the line, you can definitely beat them to a stop! The Crossfire is one of the best stopping cars made - I out brake competition in autocross on a regular basis-most don't realize how well they can stop!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by TYE_GOLFS_IN_DALLAS
I Love This Thread And I've Been Wondering The Same Thing. I Can Tell You That I Won A $300. Bet With This Young Dude That Works Here That Has A '06 Sentra V Their Most Souped Up Model. I Am Bone Dry Stocked And Was Nervous Because My Car Looks Hella Nice And He Got Just Straight Out Called Me Out In A Lunch Room Full Of People For $500. I Didn't Even Know This Lil Punk Because He Isn't In My Pay Bracket But When He Found Out I Had 3 Times That In My Pocket And I Said Lets Go I Was Nervous I Admit. I Went To The Rest Room Got On My Phone Internet And Saw That He Only Had 185 hp And Less Torque Than I Have When I Pee Pee... So I Came Back And Said Man Lets Leave Now... Tore His Azzz Up On The Strip In Front Of Our Office In My Automatic. 1st Gear Was Crappy But 3rd Gear In That Car Aint No Punk... My Crossy Is Bossy... Now I Want To Work On Performance...
Good show then Ay!
I suggest you start off with the Sprint booster before going any deeper into performance parts. After that downsize the rims to a 17" wheel. the stock 18-19" rims suck hp big time, but they do look nice!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by grphtmtlc11
cars you can hang with/beat (common cars):
mustang gt (interstate)
solstice (slowstice)/sky
v6 mustang and camaro
civic si
rx8
base z4
lotus elise
s2000
miata
tiburon
c4 and older corvette
srt-4 (stock)
charger r/t

probably the most expensive car a regular crossfire can keep up with (in a straight line) is a regular naturally aspirated lotus elise (not exige).
No, a regular Crossfire cannot keep up with an Elise in a straight line. I've owned both. Not at least from a standing start, until both hit their top end...Elise aero drag at about 147, I believe the standard Crossfire is electronically limited to 155?

Standard Elise: 4.6 to 4.8 to 60 mph. Standard crossfire? Isn't it around 6.4?

Quarter mile for standard Elise: Mid 13's. Standard Crossfire...mid to high 14's?

For a rolling start, the Crossfire will do much better because of its torque.

And when a turn comes up, good as the Crossfire can be, on any turn or twisty the Lotus is in a whole other class.

Quick Reply: which cars can we beat, keep up with, smoke, or run from?!