Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Mystery no start issue

Old 12-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mystery no start issue

Well after almost 3 months of no problems, it has come back. Thursday night I tried to go to the store after coming home from work, only about 10 min between and it wouldn't start. Tried again 2 hours later, still nothing. Tried in the morning to go to the train station and it worked! Come home on the train Friday night and it starts 1st try to get me back home.

Today I went to do some errands before making a trip to my parents house. Car starts, I drive to store 1 and turn it off. Inside for about 5 min, come back out and the car starts. I leave it on for about 5 min while I'm on the phone then drive to store #2 and turn it off. Come back out about 10 min later, NOTHING. I sat there trying and trying for about 45 min, but no luck.

I've had enough, I'm going to go buy the fuel pump relay now.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 AM

And of course no dealer even remotely close to here has one. grrr.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:52 AM

$220 later, the part will be here on Thursday.

Just an FYI, the Chrysler part # is 5099007AA

Old 12-01-2007, 03:13 PM

Well, it finally happened to me - car died while driving it. Best time possible, as I was merging onto the Van Wyck Expressway at 65mph right after JFK Airport. :banghead: I probably shouldn't of tried to drive it after the recent hot start problems, but I did.

Of course by the time we got it towed to the dealer, it started as soon as he took it off the truck. To make it worse, I had to pay out of pocket since it was on the Van Wyck and now I'll have to have it reimbursed by Chrysler.

If this isn't proof that it's temp related as Crossbow said, I don't know what is.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BltByKrmn
$220 later, the part will be here on Thursday.

Just an FYI, the Chrysler part # is 5099007AA
Sorry, but I've not had chance to reall the whole of this thread but...

Have you had a look at the relay module internals? (I posted a pic here somewhere) If the relay is the problem then you will almost certainly be able to repair the old one - there is virtually nothing to the module, just some open frame relays and some diodes. The most likely problem is a hairline crack around the relay pins on the PCB. If this is the case then resolder it. Then you can send the new one back for a refund. HTH.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 AM

I have an '04 crossfire with a 6 speed manual. I bought in june and it has been my daily driver and the camshaft sensor has already been replaced. Yesterday the car was running fine I got home and parked it in my garage and about 5 hours later went to start it and it wont start. I turned the key and all the lights and evrything work but it wont turn over. The spoiler starts to go crazy and it goes up and down and then all the lights in the dash start flashing. I checked the battery and it has a full charge. I waited 15 hours and tried to start at different times and still no luck the samething happens everytime.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chevellelv
I have an '04 crossfire with a 6 speed manual. I bought in june and it has been my daily driver and the camshaft sensor has already been replaced. Yesterday the car was running fine I got home and parked it in my garage and about 5 hours later went to start it and it wont start. I turned the key and all the lights and evrything work but it wont turn over. The spoiler starts to go crazy and it goes up and down and then all the lights in the dash start flashing. I checked the battery and it has a full charge. I waited 15 hours and tried to start at different times and still no luck the samething happens everytime.
Is the problem coincident with the cam sensor change, or was that changed to try and fix this problem previously? The symptoms sound like an earthing problem. Is it possible something was disturbed during cam sensor change? Why was the cam sensor change? Sorry for all the questions but a logical sequence of events may help to diagnose the problem.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by woody
Sorry, but I've not had chance to reall the whole of this thread but...

Have you had a look at the relay module internals? (I posted a pic here somewhere) If the relay is the problem then you will almost certainly be able to repair the old one - there is virtually nothing to the module, just some open frame relays and some diodes. The most likely problem is a hairline crack around the relay pins on the PCB. If this is the case then resolder it. Then you can send the new one back for a refund. HTH.
Here's the inards of the $220 relay module as you can see there's not much in it!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by woody
Is the problem coincident with the cam sensor change, or was that changed to try and fix this problem previously? The symptoms sound like an earthing problem. Is it possible something was disturbed during cam sensor change? Why was the cam sensor change? Sorry for all the questions but a logical sequence of events may help to diagnose the problem.
No, the cam sensor was changed back in june. When the cam sensor went out the car would turnover it just wouldn't start and I'd wait 5 five minutes and it would start. This problem just started yesterday. It wont do anything. After the cam sensor was changed I haven't had a problem with it starting. Yesterday I went to start it and it wont turnover or anything. There is a clicking sound and all the lights on the dash start flashing and the spoiler starts opening and closing. All the lights work, the radio everything seems to work. It's still under factory warranty but their not open until tomorrow. The key is good I tried both sets of keys I have and both of them have the flashing light and they both unlock and lock the car.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chevellelv
No, the cam sensor was changed back in june. When the cam sensor went out the car would turnover it just wouldn't start and I'd wait 5 five minutes and it would start. This problem just started yesterday. It wont do anything. After the cam sensor was changed I haven't had a problem with it starting. Yesterday I went to start it and it wont turnover or anything. There is a clicking sound and all the lights on the dash start flashing and the spoiler starts opening and closing. All the lights work, the radio everything seems to work. It's still under factory warranty but their not open until tomorrow. The key is good I tried both sets of keys I have and both of them have the flashing light and they both unlock and lock the car.
Here is my two cents, some years ago I had these same problems. Under warranty the dealer replaced many electrical parts. In two years the car had been in the shop a total of 2 months. After warranty ran out it happened again. The problem was, (drum roll) a broken trace on a circuit board. It would make continuity off and on, seems vibration and heat both played a role. I found the problem by tapping parts on the electrical system with the car running. Hope this is some help.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:42 PM

I'm still knocking on wood but my XF is still running, and more importantly, STARTING just fine since the relay module was replaced. And I believe that the part number 5099007AA is correct. The picture sure is right!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:37 PM

That's great to hear Fenwick233. I remember it looked bleak for you. Glad to see that it worked out and this invaluable forum helped everyone out. Now I like soldering, so if it every happens I'll have to try fixing it first. Takes me back to the old mod-chip playstation days. Enjoy that car the way it's meant to be.

Cruzinquick

Old 12-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Default Re: SOLUTION - Mystery no start issue

Originally Posted by Fenwick223
Since I got my XF back on Monday, it's started every time and, maybe it's my imagination, but seems to be running better than ever.
You're not alone, I replaced mine in the dealer parking lot today in under 5 minutes. For the 10 mile drive home in stop and go side streets, the car ran about 100x better than it used to.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Glad to hear that things are running fine for you now. I'm also glad to hear that it wasn't my imagination that the car seemed to run a lot better all around once the module was replaced.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:03 AM

Fenwick223 and BitByKrmn,

Welcome to the "it was the fuel pump relay" club!! I am glad that you are both back up and running ( and happy with your cars again). Until one has gone through this experience, and fixed it, almost nobody can believe it could be such a thing causing that much trouble.
Happy new year,
Crossbow39

Old 12-31-2007, 04:57 AM

Sounds like intermittent ignition switch or a starter solenoid. could be a bad connector or ground somewhere.
shake some wires put in and out of park etc etc....

Paul

Old 12-31-2007, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Crossbow39
Fenwick223 and BitByKrmn,

Welcome to the "it was the fuel pump relay" club!! I am glad that you are both back up and running ( and happy with your cars again). Until one has gone through this experience, and fixed it, almost nobody can believe it could be such a thing causing that much trouble.
Happy new year,
Crossbow39
I can't thank you enough, you saved me from who knows how much wasted money and unecessary headaches.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Right after I joined this forum, My '06 roadster had the dead battery, for no apparent reason. Only had the car a month.
Thought maybe it was me but I've made sure nothing was left on since and this morning, again the surprise. DEAD BATTERY.

I'm glad I joined this forum. Reading detailed experiences has been a real help, especially how to handle the Dealer. This is a great site.

Can't wait to be a real member.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it works out.

Roadster with a stick.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Forum Regular

cool thanks ......

Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Good Evening,

I got a call from my wife tonight. She said the car would not start. So after my limited reading i thought o no the crank sensor had gone out. So I drove to her work and tried to start the car. Nothing except for the radiator fan going full force. So i thought let me go into her office and do a little research on crossfire.org. Sure enough I read about the relay issue. I went back out to the car and popped the cover. I could see the relay block but there are allot of wires going to it. I didn't want to mess with it to much because it was in a public parking lot. So i thought if the traces are cracked corroded maybe a quick hit with the back of a screw driver head would jolt it back into place. It worked . The car started right up. Thank you all for the info. The stealers would make a mint if it wasn't for a place like this and posters like you guys. Now my next question is there a link to a step by step to take the realys out so i can inspect them? Again thanks for your help.

-Rob

Quick Reply: Mystery no start issue