Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Headlamp TSB

Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp TSB

Is there another TSB pertaining to delaminating or fogging (not from moisture) of headlights besides this one? My dealer performed this one, but it was only a seal kit. I'd like new headlights and need something to reference or they won't do it!

The car is still under warranty, but said this isn't covered. WHAT?

Old 10-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Headlamp TSB

Did you check the TSB section? Just an fyi - I got the bad spots in mine out with a Porter Cable buffer. Good investment and anything I can do to prevent a dealer messing with my car is a plus. The PC + 3M plastic cleaner and they shine better than new!

Pat

Old 10-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Forum Regular

This is a GUESS. Please don't hold me to this.

The factory warranty which many people refer to as a "Bumper to Bumper" isn't. However there is a "Bumper to Bumper" for the 1st 12 months / 12,000 miles. This is where your brakes; wiper blades; clutch discs; windshield and rear window; and wheel alignment and wheel balancing are covered.
These are replacement items that are not covered under the 3yr/36. This was taken directly out of the supplementary Crossfire Warranty Information book that comes with your owners manual.
I have replaced 4-5 pairs of headlight lenses under warranty with no problem through Chrysler. I think your dealer is trying to put your headlights into the items mentioned above.

Not picking a fight, just giving an opinion.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 AM

CGocifer,

Does your car have the haze, or what seems like a lot of tiny stress cracks? Mine are pretty clear, but they are 75% covered in what I would call a stress crack of some sort. They are very fine, but if you hit the lights on it (especially the amber lights), they are VERY easy to see.

Definitely not 'new' condition, IMHO.

Let us know what you find.

SQ

Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by todk64
This is a GUESS. Please don't hold me to this.

The factory warranty which many people refer to as a "Bumper to Bumper" isn't. However there is a "Bumper to Bumper" for the 1st 12 months / 12,000 miles. This is where your brakes; wiper blades; clutch discs; windshield and rear window; and wheel alignment and wheel balancing are covered.
These are replacement items that are not covered under the 3yr/36. This was taken directly out of the supplementary Crossfire Warranty Information book that comes with your owners manual.
I have replaced 4-5 pairs of headlight lenses under warranty with no problem through Chrysler. I think your dealer is trying to put your headlights into the items mentioned above.

Not picking a fight, just giving an opinion.
In my case, my in-service date AND mileage should still fall into the 12/12 warranty. We'll see what they say. I'll take it to them when this rain goes away.

SQ

Old 10-16-2007, 11:24 AM

After the above listed (original post) TSB was performed, it didn't correct the haze and small spider blemishes (not cracks though, hard to explain) in the plastic. All they did was put some sort of seal kit in the light assemblies.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i think this is what is sometimes referred to as "crazing".

Old 10-16-2007, 12:59 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Mine had the same issue.

Dealer wrote it up as de-lamination ( I also had condensation issue).

Dealer didn't even try to rub or buff them out. They ordered two new headlight assemblies and installed them.

my cost = $0

I think the key word is de-lamination.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by patpur
Did you check the TSB section? Just an fyi - I got the bad spots in mine out with a Porter Cable buffer. Good investment and anything I can do to prevent a dealer messing with my car is a plus. The PC + 3M plastic cleaner and they shine better than new!

Pat
I've done the same thing. But it keeps coming back after about 3-4 weeks. I'm afraid to keep doing it, as I'm sure it's wearing away the lense. I'm taking mine in to the dealer next week, so hopefully they will take care of it. I think I have a trick up my sleeve. The dealer I'm going to also has a Benz dealer onsite and they send Crossfires over to the MB boys...

Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 PM

Just what I noted - mine developed a haze on the inside that no amount of exterior buffing could have ever removed at around 18 months. Brought it to dealer (with great fear and trepidation!), but they exceeded my expectations and replaced entire assemblies (2) at no charge and with great care.

The new assemblies are a different design at the back - the new ones do not use the open vent port and are 100% sealed. Also, I do believe the poly carbonate (or PET) material is a slightly different composition, the new ones are much clearer, no hint of opacity, even with the brutal onslaught of lo and high beam HIDs in the 6k spectrum. I would bet original PET material was molded at too fast a cycle time or wrong temp...just my opinion, mind'ya!