Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rebadged Emblems?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:12 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Rebadged Emblems?

Here we go again. Will we ever not argue about this point? Somehow I don't think so.

I agree with Mike. I don't think anyone is trying to hide the fact that Crossfire is a Chrysler. We bought it knowing well it was a Chrysler badged car. However, this car is somewhat unique. And many bought it because of it's uniqueness of a Mercedes under a Chrysler body. Sort of the best of both worlds. And I don't really want to get into the discussion of other Chryslers with MB parts. This car does not just have some MB parts. It's really an SLK320 with a sexier body, and I think some members of this forum want to display a unique Crossfire altered badge or share it's European heritage. I don't see anything wrong with that. I too grew up in the muscle car era and would have loved a Chrysler from that vintage, but frankly I would not buy a current Chrysler product. The only reason I bought my XF other than it's the sexiest car around was because it's a German engineered car and Chrysler body design. De-badging and rebadging goes back a long way.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda like to embarrass people when they see that a "Chrysler" just blew their doors off!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i'm able to get over the hump and keep the car, I'll rebadge it. I agree with all who said Chrysler dumped this car and all that goes with it. But the biggest change I would like to make is changing the grill. EVERY chrysler is see has the same grill. Thats not too smart on their part. Ask the ordinary person on the street,"would you rather have a Mercedes or a Chrysler", the answer woul be simple. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 526 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by intenseblu
i've been a dodge/chrysler owner for a long time ... never owned anything else as a matter of fact. but i must say this car did it for me, i am very ashamed of the support chrysler has given our community ... or lack there of.

my xf has no chrysler emblems on it cause they do not deserve to advertise their name on a car i take care of so well when they will not lift a finger to give it proper service in its dealerships, proper advertising to sell it, or make sure we have parts available to us for many years to come (owners are already reporting dealerships can't get certain parts).

mercedes provided much of the technology, karmann assembled it, chrysler failed to sell it and service it ... i'll gladly fly the karmann emblem because i admire the build quality.
Well said my man !!!

Old 12-23-2007, 08:38 AM

Thanks everyone for your input on this much debated subject.
I guess I do agree with the fact that Chrysler dropped the ball on this car.
My car only has 7,800 miles on it, and is now put away for the winter months. The only issue i've had was with one of the rear wheels loosing it's clearcoat. The dealer I dealt with was very accomodating and I got my new wheel installed within a couple of days. But that being said, it scares
the crap out of me thinking that they may someday be under the hood!
Now, I was a German car mechanic in a previous life, so I do know a bit about cars...enough to know it will never go to a Chrysler dealer for repair work. I do have good friends in the MB world still, so if it ever needs attention, I'll take it to them if I can't fix it myself. But I'm hoping for a long relationship with this car, not a "one night stand".
Also, it probably won't make a difference with this car, but I learned the value of keeping the car stock. That's just my mindset coming from the vintage Corvette world though.
Well again hope everyone has a great Holiday.

Paul

Last edited by simajanpa; 12-23-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 AM

Hi just got my new emblems, I notice they come with a sticky surface underneath is that enough to hold them in place?

If not what do you suggest I use double sided tape or silicone (any specific brand or characteristic needed)

Thanks

Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by randy48
Hi just got my new emblems, I notice they come with a sticky surface underneath is that enough to hold them in place?

If not what do you suggest I use double sided tape or silicone (any specific brand or characteristic needed)

Thanks
Randy, What emblems did you get? Karmann? Where did you get them?

Pics?

Thanks

Doug

Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular

I personally like the chrysler badge, but I HATE the wings. I think they are typical american car gaudy. To me, covering up the chrysler badge and leaving the chrome wings is the exact opposite way of doing things. Though I must admit that part of my feeling on this is because my car is black and the chrome REALLY stands out. White or silver/light blue cars don't have this problem as much. For myself, I have an extra set of front and rear wings/badges at home waiting for some modification. The plan is to get the wings painted black, but leave the chrysler badge. I mean if gold colored badging is ok for the Porsche crest, then it is certainly good enough to be on my crossfire.

I also think that covering up the chrysler badge and adding mercedes badges is doing a grave disservice to what the car represents. The crossfire is a very bold vehicle for chrysler and represents an amazing risk IMO. Mercedes would never be bold enough to put anything on the road that looks like a crossfire, unless it had a sticker price of over $100k. As my screen name indicates, I am a huge fan of european cars. I've owned VWs all my life. And I am well aware of where the crossfire came from. But I also think that while chrysler has some absolutely abysmal cars in its current lineup, it also has some very very unique cars that sort of go against the grain. And while we all know the crossfire was not only a very unique car, but also a failure, I like to show that I support the sort of aggressive and out of the box thinking that chrysler had in offering the crossfire--and keeping it as true to the concept as one could when using an already existing platform. When a company does things that I like, I'll support it with my money and by proundly displaying the badge. For me, the chrysler wings go (well, they will at least be less noticable), but the chrysler badging stays.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 PM

I agree with Andrew - Its not that I am ashamed its a chrysler product, but I wanted a more unique badge to fit a more unique car! I was looking for something a bit more subtle. It's not an identity change or re-branding, rather an understated elegance I was after. Just my two cents.