Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

So how's the winter driving?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So how's the winter driving?

It's been a snowy winter in Chicago and since this is my first year with all-season tires, I thought it might be nice to find out what others think.

My first two winters I had the stock Michelin PS whatevers. They were outstanding tires and treated slush like rain, so as long as there wasn't actually ice or snow, winter driving was fine.

This year I bought the Yokohama Advan S-4 (I think that's what their called). I based my decision from reviews, mostly from Tire Rack, but other sources too. It was basically a tie between Michelin's all-season and Yokohama's, and since the Yoko's were supposed to be a little quieter and were cheaper, thats what I got.

What do I think? Well they are certainly better than the Michelin Summer only tires, but thats about all I can say. This is my first rear wheel drive in at least 20 years and it is a pretty light car, so it's hard to judge. I did once have a Chevy Cavalier Z-24 and there is no comparison between how much better it handled in the snow than the X-fire. People used to say I was able to drive faster in the snow than just about anyone else on the road. Now I can't keep up with other light weight (although maybe front wheel drive) two seaters. I don't have much of a problem sliding or even stopping, the car tracks real straight in ABS. The problem is from a dead stop, or going up-hill. NEVER stop on a hill!! One thing I learned right away is shut off the Traction Control if your having a hard time at a stop. The car reads that the tires are spinning and just stops them. Spins great donuts tho.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Default Re: So how's the winter driving?

i live in chicago too and yea the winters have sucked. especially right now. i have about 7 inches on the ground. but ive bin drivin my car to school everyday. ive have few slips but overall i give it about a 7.5 outta 10. (driving in the snow wise)

Old 02-06-2008, 04:46 PM

Yeah, this winter has been brutal; of course we're just spoiled because it's been so mild the past 5 years or so. It's been snowing every 12 to 16 hours for the past 2 weeks & we haven't had any -25 degree days for quite a while until this year!
Even though I've got Goodyear all-seasons on mine I still won't drive it in the snow though others here seem to think it's no problem (Apkano lives on the other side of the pond & he's mentioned in the past that he's done OK in 5"). I own a '99 Cougar & it plows through anything. As long as it's available (it's the wifemobile) I'll drive it well before I'll take the Xfire. Frankly, I'd rather 'have a bad day in the snow' with the Cougar than the SRT!
It could be worse: we could live in the U.P. or Buffalo!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tires have kept me going in snow that was higher than the bottom of the front bumper!

Hmmmmmm......Crossfire as a snowplow?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:40 PM

Winter driving is GREAT, considering i live in Houston. No snow at all and in the middle of winter we still get mid 70 degree weather..

Old 02-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm driving every day in my XF in the Chicago Winter of 2008. I still have the stock Continental All-Season tires, and feel they are a pretty good tire. It's my first rear wheel car in a LONG time. Previous two vehicles were SUVs with all-wheel drive. Winter driving is an art ... you have to be patient, know the roads and know the limitations of your vehicle. I totally agree that the TCS takes over and that sucks. I was in an intersection and it kicked in and just left me sitting with no forward motion until one of the wheels quit spinning. Good thing there was no oncoming traffic.

I've been told I should park the XF until spring. What I have done, is rod out the drain in the garage, purchase a pressure washer and clean the car each and every time I drive in the snow.

This is my second year driving in winter. I do like the W/S switch on the transmission, for automatics only. Starting out in second gear actually kicks some butt.

That's my 0.02(US)

Whatever you drive during the winter months, be careful. We know our vehicles will stop, can we trust those around us to make sure theirs do??

Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Houston1
Winter driving is GREAT, considering i live in Houston. No snow at all and in the middle of winter we still get mid 70 degree weather..
I feel your pain. It's been brutal here in San Diego too. A client just called from Kauai - apparently it's real tough there, what with the glare off the ocean and all.

So much suffering, so little geography.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:03 PM

I live in upstate NY. I've had my moments, but only when we've had a heavy wet snow. They do a great job getting the roads clean...so I've been very lucky. SOME of the SUV drivers think that they can drive fast and still STOP as if the roads were clean.... I spend more time keeping an eye on who's (or what's) behind me rather than where I'm going... I don't like tailgaters....I have no problem with a little slide now and again...(I race a mico-sprint on dirt so we turn right to go left MOST of the time)... Anytime you drive in the winter.. it's a learning experience.....

Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Yes, I love winter drivin - good drift experience.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:22 PM

My advice....get a winter beater 4x4 and leave the xfire in the garage!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM

what driving? my car is in the garage begging to be driven!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fl is awesome. Water temp is 73*, maybee it's time to get some coastal shots.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This coud be nice.! Minnesota is a frozen waste land this time of year.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kurts
Yeah, this winter has been brutal; of course we're just spoiled because it's been so mild the past 5 years or so. It's been snowing every 12 to 16 hours for the past 2 weeks & we haven't had any -25 degree days for quite a while until this year!
Even though I've got Goodyear all-seasons on mine I still won't drive it in the snow though others here seem to think it's no problem (Apkano lives on the other side of the pond & he's mentioned in the past that he's done OK in 5"). I own a '99 Cougar & it plows through anything. As long as it's available (it's the wifemobile) I'll drive it well before I'll take the Xfire. Frankly, I'd rather 'have a bad day in the snow' with the Cougar than the SRT!
It could be worse: we could live in the U.P. or Buffalo!
what year cougar?? and to stay on topic I HATE the winter driving, can you say bald tires in deep snow?? LMAO!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 04chryslr
what year cougar?? and to stay on topic I HATE the winter driving, can you say bald tires in deep snow?? LMAO!
Hi, Nate!

It's a red 1999 Cougar, 195K miles & counting; 3 alternators, lotsa front end work & took a good deer whacking a couple of years ago oddly on the side of the car that's losing the most amount of paint......wonder why?! Goes through anything, has a hatchback area big enough to haul furniture around in & is the vehicle of choice this year. I actually managed to drive my Xfire for the past couple of days.....first time in 2 weeks. Snow coming again tomorrow so it's back to ole reliable. Jay Bondrock, another Forum member out of Ontario has one, too!
I hate winter........yeah, I know, why do we live here then? And you warm weather members?, have mercy; you'll get us all envious with your pics. & then we'll all have to move to your vicinities & make your lives miserable by constantly rehashing tales of winter driving experiences!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in eastern PA we have only had one small storm, half an inch of sleet. Could only make it half way up my drive way with the conti's.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by apkano

Hmmmmmm......Crossfire as a snowplow?
eww you should hook up with whoever was gonna make a trailer hitch! put em both together and you have a heavy duty package! why didnt dc think of this? lol

Old 02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by irwin
eww you should hook up with whoever was gonna make a trailer hitch! put em both together and you have a heavy duty package! why didnt dc think of this? lol
Maybe I can get a 4" body lift and a skyjacker suspension package too!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 483 Likes on 335 Posts

My winter vehicle. 4X4 Goes through anything. I love it for snow driving.
Even pulls less fortunate people out of ditches.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0823.JPG (1.23 MB, 9 views)
Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 PM

And getting back to the original thread... I live in Chicago too and picked up my new Crossfire from the dealership(minor suff under warranty) last Thu night, wich was a nightmare on the roads. Man that was a challange! Switched off ESP and still thought I'd never make it home. This is my first RWD car and I've only gone 230 miles so far (got it a month ago) and I'm gonna take my old Volvo to work till it clears up.

Xfire cmv, your neighbour here man. Take care of your baby and keep'er scrath free. See you around.

Quick Reply: So how's the winter driving?