Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How much trouble can you get into for tinting your windows too dark?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much trouble can you get into for tinting your windows too dark?

In RI, you are only allowed to tint your windows up to 70% ("you have to allow more than 70% of light in"). Has anyone here had problems in their state with tinting their windows past the legal limit? I wanted to do 50% all around. I have a friend who has his windows tinted past 50 and He's never been stopped...so I couldn't imagine getting in that much trouble (although he drives under the speed limit).

Last edited by Louie K; 02-10-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How much trouble can you get into for tinting your windows too dark?

Where are you located?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: How much trouble can you get into for tinting your windows too dark?

Originally Posted by blackxfire
Where are you located?
RI = Rhode Island blackxfire

Old 02-10-2008, 06:02 PM

yeah I live in Rhode Island.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

I am in Illinois and our law states NO TINT on the driver/passenger doors.
This is the third vehicle in which I have tinted my driver/passenger doors illegally and have never been bothered.
It's a gamble but usually only results in a warning or a fine.
In Illinois $75.00 fine for illegal tint

Last edited by Valk; 02-10-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:13 PM

did it cost $75 for your tint or the ticket? and how dark is your tint?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Louie K
did it cost $75 for your tint or the ticket? and how dark is your tint?
Fine is $75.00

I got the rear hatch and the little side windows done with limo tint - 5% (Darkest)
I got the doors done with medium tint - 35 %
I spent $175 for the tint and install.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
17.jpg.jpg (1.09 MB, 43 views)

Last edited by Valk; 02-10-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't imagine you would have much trouble. Probably a small fine or no one will bother you at all. 50% and you should be okay. I get away with 35% with no problems.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:48 PM

In Texas, the Front driver and Passenger can't be darker then 35%. The rear windows can be as dark as you like. I have 20% on my Infiniti and i've never been pulled over, niether has anyone else i know with about 20%.

On my '86 Chevy Truck i had 5% tint, was a $80 dollar fine the first time. the second time i got pulled over, it just so happened to be the same cop. I'm not kidding when i tell you he went back to his car and pulled some kind of blade out and ripped both sides of tint film off (its only 3 windows).

Old 02-10-2008, 07:00 PM

wow that's crazy

Old 02-10-2008, 07:08 PM
PJA

In California, you will get a "fix it ticket". You will have to have the tint removed and then get a police officer to sign off on the ticket. This happened to me when my car was ticketed for no front license plate.
Pete

Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Houston1
On my '86 Chevy Truck i had 5% tint, was a $80 dollar fine the first time. the second time i got pulled over, it just so happened to be the same cop. I'm not kidding when i tell you he went back to his car and pulled some kind of blade out and ripped both sides of tint film off (its only 3 windows).
I am sure that cop did not have any authority to remove your tint.
Didn't it **** you off when he did this ??

Old 02-10-2008, 07:24 PM

it pissed me off, for one, the tint job was expensive. i was it shock when it was happening, speachless. couldnt really say any to the cop, i wasnt about to go to jail for bad mouth the guy over some tint.... even though i know it was wrong.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Red face Re: How much trouble can you get into for tinting your windows too dark?

To back up what Valkryderguy said in Illinois front Drivers side and passenger side windows cannot be tinted, and the Ticket is 75 dollars. My next door neighbor has been redoing a 1978 Camaro and had the windows tinted, it looked great, first time he drove it came home with a ticket with instructions to remove the tint on the front and two front windows, now the car looks weird, he will probably remove all the tint and let it go. Another friend at work has had his tinted for years and never been stopped, who really knows, just depends on the officer and how they want to inforce the law.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Forum Regular

its just a fine, i have 10% all the way around my roadster with black stripe across the window i live in new york haven't been bothered yet with the crossfire, but get hassled for the 20% on my srt-4.. guess it depends on cops the ones around here are pretty much all ********, and the car, my srt is very loud and just the look of it i guess attracts cops as it is. but yeah just a fine i laugh and go on my way.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 20% all around on my caddy and never got in trouble for it.. i did get other tickets while the tints were on though. I've heard people say when they did get in trouble, all the cop did was cut a big x through all the window. There is a possible BS fine involved but they really dont give you any problem if your respectful.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I think anything more than 50% on your side window is dangerous. At night, without street lights you cannot se things in your periferal vision that are not illuminated. From a law enforcment standpoint, It is dangerous for us because we can't see inside your vehicle when we stop you. It is also used as a tool to pull you over !

Old 02-11-2008, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Personally I think anything more than 50% on your side window is dangerous. At night, without street lights you cannot se things in your periferal vision that are not illuminated. From a law enforcment standpoint, It is dangerous for us because we can't see inside your vehicle when we stop you. It is also used as a tool to pull you over !
Nice to see an officer's opinion. I just wanted 50 anyway.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 AM
Forum Regular

exactly just another reason to get pulled over, but looks clean so i take the chance, i wouldn't go without.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
I've seen this (from the passenger seat) first hand. In both Wisconsin and Alabama the man will use any excuse they can to roust ya'.

Quick Reply: How much trouble can you get into for tinting your windows too dark?