Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

can salt driving in winter really hurt?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can salt driving in winter really hurt?

Im in michigan and just cant handle keeping the srt put up for the whole winter. Is driving it in dry weather even though cold as crap out bad for the car? There is still a little salt on the roads and built up areas here and there. I was just thinking this is a "benz" shouldn't it have some pretty good rust proofing to protect against salt driving? thanks guys

Old 02-21-2008, 07:43 AM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: can salt driving in winter really hurt?

It's a car...drive it. Rust through warranty is good for 100,000 miles. Also, when the car gets really dirty in the winter I'll take a bucket out with plain water and wash it down including the wheel wells. I've been driving my car through the winter here in New York and I don't worry about it. Besides, people are driving much more expensive cars than ours all winter and you don't see them worried about it.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 AM
RPM

I don't drive mine in these conditions. Not to say that you shouldn't or can't, just a choice.
Many folks drive theirs all year. If you haven't done so already, I would advise that you check the 'rust' thread and check your car in those areas. You may already have rust and not know it.

For my daily drivers, I try to take them through a touchless car wash with undercarriage spray at least every other week during the winter months.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was having my new hood built by some custome fabricators, they took the Crossfire hood to have it acid dipped to remove all the paint and primer. It had to be dipped 3 times to get all the primer off. So Karmann must coat them fairly well with some pretty good stuff. (Just not the doors)
What looks to be another weak point on our cars when ever rust is brought up seems to be in the area of fasteners, bolts, screws, etc.
Under the hood you may find several places where a rusted bolt transfers its corrosion to the surrounding "painted" metal. It's very easy to spot on a white car.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by gatesy21
Im in michigan and just cant handle keeping the srt put up for the whole winter. Is driving it in dry weather even though cold as crap out bad for the car? There is still a little salt on the roads and built up areas here and there. I was just thinking this is a "benz" shouldn't it have some pretty good rust proofing to protect against salt driving? thanks guys
My VW Jetta III GLX VR6 was daily driven in Chicago from 1995 to 2001, then in Tennessee from 2001 to 2003, then in Minnesota from 2004 to 2006. Basically, that's 8 years of daily driving in a salt-rich environment.

At the end of its life, here are the parts that were rusted:

1. Original OEM exhaust resonator - completely rusted out/had to be replaced.
2. Area under the side skirts at the bottom of the car was showing a little bit of surface rust.
3. All zinc plated bolts in engine bay had a little bit of rust around the edges.
4. All suspension and steering nuts/bolts had some surface rust.

That's it. My 1992 Corolla was a California car until 2001, then it's been daily driven here in Minnesota for the last 7 years. The body panels only shows some surface rust where there are scratches in the paint.

The problem that I've found is that rust occurs if there are scratches in the paint. If you touch up any scratches, you should have fewer problems.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM

The few days we've had "salty" roads due to snow, the car found it's way within a day or two to the laser wash... I have a mini also, and drive that more than the x-f...it too finds it's way to the wash... can't hurt...

Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM

Here is what I have found - the salt by itself is not the culprit, it's the gravel thrown up and under the car. It slowly chips away the undercoating and paint, then the salt eats the hell out it. If you trade your car every few years drive the thing 'til it drops. However, if this is a long term investment for you leave it inside during the salt months.

I have known a lot of guys who have had a neat car and drove it all year long (my son included). Then one day they wake up and decide to keep the car long term and were faced with a frame off restoration - those things are expensive.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Forum Regular

For my daily drivers, I try to take them through a touchless car wash with undercarriage spray at least every other week during the winter months.[/quote]

RPM you're killing me...making me feel bad...are their "car abuse" authorities I can turn my self in to and beg for mercy?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:34 PM

When I bought my car it was new. I completely cleaned the underside and engine compartment. I then spray applied Waxoyl to all surfaces excluding rotors and exhaust. This car will have no corrosion. Waxoyl is a British rust killer sealer available at Moss Motors. I use it on my British cars I restore...It is handy to have an auto hoist...

Last edited by arado; 02-21-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Life is random...so am I.

I drive mine all winter in Michigan as well. Truthfully.......I think you are asking the wrong question........it's not the salt that's going to damage our cars, it's the damn potholes!

Bottom line......salt is a major cause of corrosion.......so, no, it will not do your car any good. Unfortunately, I think catching a chunk of concrete in the front end or windshield is worse, but the salt will get everywhere, especially when it's dry and dusty like it is today!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:41 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by bflinn
RPM you're killing me...making me feel bad...are their "car abuse" authorities I can turn my self in to and beg for mercy?
I'm comin' after ya.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Forum Regular

I guess another thing to consider is what else do you have to drive. I'm driving a GMC 4 wheel drive pickup that I enjoy driving, although in a different way than the Crossfire. I really enjoy coming home and hitting the garage door opener and seeing the Crossfire sitting there super detailed. That's why I don't cover it.

On the other hand, remember when your granny used to cover her furniture with clear plastic to save it? And your grampa used to take his new car to have seat covers put on to protect them? It always turned out that when that furniture and car were sold, someone else took off the covers and enjoyed a like new condition. They saved them for someone else to enjoy.

I guess it also depends on how long you intend to keep your Crossfire. I would assume if you lease it for 3 years who would care how much salt it saw.

But I know what you mean. I came home tonight thinking that I might just take the Crossfire out for a spin but decided naaa, keep it clean, March will be here soon and I can wait.

Now I'll bet your more confused than before.

Last edited by chuck65; 02-21-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 483 Likes on 335 Posts

I drive mine in the winter only when the roads are dry. I know salt dust is still on the road but I am not really concerned about the dust. When I return home I bring it back into my heated garage and give it a complete detail.If the salt dust does lead to corrosion then I will have to deal with that. I just can't let it sit all winter without a drive every few weeks.
I usually go a mile to the interstate and head west. The roads are free of potholes and the salt dust is minimal and there is no traffic to follow so I am out on the clear open road. Just had it out on Tuesday for a 70 mile drive.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
I drive mine in the winter only when the roads are dry. I know salt dust is still on the road but I am not really concerned about the dust. When I return home I bring it back into my heated garage and give it a complete detail.If the salt dust does lead to corrosion then I will have to deal with that. I just can't let it sit all winter without a drive every few weeks.
I usually go a mile to the interstate and head west. The roads are free of potholes and the salt dust is minimal and there is no traffic to follow so I am out on the clear open road. Just had it out on Tuesday for a 70 mile drive.
The real issue isn't "dry and salty" so you should be ok. AFAIK, the worst is "wet and salty" - i.e. when the roads are covered in liquid water due to snow being melted by road salt.

Then that ultra-salty slushy, dirty mixture gets flung everywhere. Ever park by a car and see splash marks across the entire side of the car from the front wheel well all the way to the back door? Now think about all the nooks and crannies inside your car and that same mixture being slammed into them.

Makes me shudder when I see some guy driving an S2000 or brand new 5-series BMW covered in road salt. I see it every once in a while around here.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by sonoronos
The real issue isn't "dry and salty" so you should be ok. AFAIK, the worst is "wet and salty" - i.e. when the roads are covered in liquid water due to snow being melted by road salt.

Then that ultra-salty slushy, dirty mixture gets flung everywhere. Ever park by a car and see splash marks across the entire side of the car from the front wheel well all the way to the back door? Now think about all the nooks and crannies inside your car and that same mixture being slammed into them.

Makes me shudder when I see some guy driving an S2000 or brand new 5-series BMW covered in road salt. I see it every once in a while around here.

Actually....when it's wet and splashed up on your car....you can see where it's going.

When it's dry and dusty......it gets everywhere, much like dust does on a dirt road.

either way.......it's no good!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 483 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by apkano
Actually....when it's wet and splashed up on your car....you can see where it's going.

When it's dry and dusty......it gets everywhere, much like dust does on a dirt road.

either way.......it's no good!
I agree but then it's just a car and it's meant to be driven.
With all those Crossfires that are being preserved I hope I can afford one of those when mine needs to be replaced.
I can't imagine living without one of these awesome cars.
Time will tell but I put 10,000 miles on mine last summer in only 7 months so ........

Old 02-21-2008, 06:47 PM

I live in Michigan also and salt is definately I killer on any car. Salt is what forced me to turn in my 91' Stealth for a Xfire yesterday. I had 275K miles but the engine and trans were still strong. It was everything else that started rusting away and quick. It's like cancer once it starts. Both sides of my rocker panels where rusting in the back starting this winter. By yesterday, the rust had completely made a 3 inch hole into the unibody next to the rocker panel and climbed half way up the quarter panel. I could actually peel the rust from the bottom of the car with my fingers, and had I kicked it, there would have been a big hole in the rocker panel. All I can suggest for winter dirvers is frequent car washes. The more you wash it the less time salt has to infect it's deadly bite.

I purchased my Crossfire with the intention of having a respectable daily driver. Now after one day driving it, I feel bad leaving it outside in the snow right now. I wish I had a two car garage.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 PM

Kathleen Schaefer, MN DOT in a KARE-11 report (c. 2004):

Schaefer said Mn/DOT has learned to wet the salt before dropping it on the road, "If you get it wet, it gets sticky and it stays in place better so you can reduce your salt application by 30 per cent just by getting it wet"

Wet salt=sticky salt, if you have to drive your Crossfire in the salt, dry roads contribute to 30% less salt exposure than wet. Generally speaking, I suppose.

But you people are right, salt = salt and if it gets on your car it will corrode any exposed metal!!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Crossfire is sitting out this winter in a nice heated garage while I squeeze the last few miles out of my 1995 Saturn SC2. One of the main reasons for my purchase of the Saturn (besides the fact that the car was purple) was the plastic body panels. I had had too many cars succumb to NE Ohio body rot. Little did I realize that the salt was still working its magic. The writing was on the wall when the engine cradle on the 1994 Saturn that I bought from my mother-in-law rusted so badly that the front wheels nearly fell off. The dealership that I traded (or should I say gave) the car to put stickers all over it warning others not to drive or tow the vehicle. My 1995 Saturn is now showing signs of engine cradle rot. With 144K miles, I guess that I've gotten my money's worth. The plan is to discard the Saturn around June when the registration expires.

I swear to take better care of my Crossfire, but I am still concerned about wet salty water getting into places in the suspension that I cannot clean. I hope to get as many years out of my Crossfire as I did out of my Saturn and will strive to keep the undercarriage clean.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I might know the answer in 5-10 years. My roadster has never seen winter roads. The SRT6 I just picked up appears to have been driven as a dealer car and then by the previous owner, and I have to assume in the winter in Chicago. I'll be thoroughly detailing it as soon as it is warm. Then we'll just wait and see if either have a rust or corrosion problem.

PS - The SRT6 will not see winters anymore either. It only had 8200 miles on it, so hopefully it did not see too many winter roads.

PPS - Yes. Road salt completely ate my 1974 TR6 by 1979. I was going to restore it but did not have money, then had kids, etc.

Quick Reply: can salt driving in winter really hurt?