Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

found it ... the cup holder fix

Old 03-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking found it ... the cup holder fix

I got in my xf and elbowed the damn cup holder and the top part went flying. Did a search and found nothing on putting it back together, but found a lot of people with the same problem. Took an hour but I figured out how to put it back together.

You must remove the entire cup holder assembly from the center console. goto this post if you need help
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ced+cup+holder

Since you have it out might as well clean it. Mine was all sticky.

There are 4 main parts. See first picture. part 2 comes out of part 3. You have to push the clips on both side in and and pull it out. Check out the rest of the pictures.

It actually seems to work better now. It used to stop half way on the way up. Now it just pops right up.

If you dont use the cup holder and dont want to replace it but dont want it popping up all the time just take out the spring and it wont pop up anymore. It will still be usable, just press it like you normally do then press the back end of it and manually pull it up.

Sorry for the lack of explantion for each step, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
c1.JPG (418.9 KB, 1540 views)
c2.JPG (348.4 KB, 1284 views)
c3.JPG (303.5 KB, 1069 views)
c4.JPG (275.1 KB, 1150 views)
c5.JPG (231.1 KB, 1118 views)
c6.JPG (258.5 KB, 1141 views)
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: found it ... the cup holder fix

Cool. That demonstrates far more patience than I've got. I went with a different cupholder fix. Step 1: Open the holder and tightly grasp the little pointy thing. Step 2: With a swift smooth movement jerk straight up. Step 3: Spend the next 3 years looking for all the little spring thingys that will be bouncing around inside your car for the next 10 seconds.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to lie, everytime I use my cupholder I am worried its not going to stay closed. The thing is just way too fragile. Its amazing how they could get so much of the car right and screw up on something so simple.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work rekcah. Unless you really like that cup holder I would recommend replacing it with the bin that was introduced in the 2005 limited. That is what I did and have never been sorry. Here is a picture that Andrew took of what it looks like:

Old 03-06-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Idaho
Nice work rekcah. Unless you really like that cup holder I would recommend replacing it with the bin that was introduced in the 2005 limited. That is what I did and have never been sorry. Here is a picture that Andrew took of what it looks like:
Can one buy that bin somewhere? Looks like a nice solution...

Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the part number 1BQ12XDVAA, it will take you to the order page of MopartPartsAmerica website. Their price is now $27.58, I think it was $25 when I ordered mine. It takes about 20 minute to install. There are some good step-by-step procedures if you do a search but here it the cliff note version:
  1. Remove trim plates around shift lever by pulling up and back.
  2. Remove the rubber cover from the emergency brake handle (this is the hardest part...it takes a lot of pulling). NOTE: Use a little liquid soap inside between the rubber and the metal.
  3. There are two screws at the front of the console and two nuts at the back (inside the storage compartment at the rear...pull carpet forward about two inches) that must be removed.
  4. Lift the console up from the front and slide forward.
  5. Disconnect any electrical connections and completely remove the console.
  6. Lay the console upside down (on a towel) and remove 4 torx screws holding the cup holder in place.
  7. Reverse the removal process to reinstall the console.

The following users liked this post:
Robgauss (01-01-2024)
Old 04-29-2008, 10:00 AM

Oh my god that is freaking awesome.

That is so much better than the cupholder it is not even funny. I can't shift when its up, so its not like I'm losing anything haha.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on Ebay before you order a bin from the Stealership. Other members paid, 19.99 plus shipping off Ebay, Chrysler will charge ya closer to 50 !

Just my Dos Centavos

Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM

Well mine is still in the console. How do you get it out? Or do I have to remove the console trim plate? And how do you do that?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM

My 05 Base has the pocket instead of the cup holder. So thankful for that. I just put a cup holder on each side of the tranny tunnel. Works great and don't have to worry about hitting my elbow or anything going wrong with the stock cup holder.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Default Snaps for my carpet pad

I am missing a snap that holds down the carpet pad on my 2005 Crossfire Limited. I don't have the part number for it and when I went to a Jeep/Chrysler Part Dept. they sold me one that did not fit my post. Too big! So I had to get my money back.

Does anyone have the part number or where I could find one? I thought about going to a salvage yard but I am sure there are not any Crossfires there.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWKINSCHERYL
Well mine is still in the console. How do you get it out? Or do I have to remove the console trim plate? And how do you do that?

Thanks,

Cheryl
Here's a PDF with words and pictures. (click)
Shows how to lift those trim panels.

Compliments of Forum Member OneHundred80

Old 01-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Well thanks for the info Red Dog but I like my cup holder and I don't have a stick shift. Mine is automatic. I would need the part number for the cup holder.

By the way, great demonstration!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Push down on the front of the cupholder cover and then let go. It should pop up. If not, the spring is broken but you can still open it manually by then pushing on the back part of the cupholder cover and then lifting the cupholder mechanism open. If you like your cupholder you are certainly in the minority. By the way, instructions for removing the console are listed several times throughout this thread. Go back and look at the older posts here. It doesn't matter if you have a stick or an automatic, you still just remove the trim panel around the shifter (with an automatic you just remove that rectangular trim bezel by popping it up). Also, the part number for the cupholder is shown on the first page of the .pdf link I gave you. If you need to / want to replace your cupholder, I have one available here . . . https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...cupholder.html

Last edited by RED DOG; 01-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWKINSCHERYL
Well thanks for the info Red Dog but I like my cup holder and I don't have a stick shift. Mine is automatic. I would need the part number for the cup holder.

By the way, great demonstration!
I never met anyone who actually used the cup holder before. I have a rule, no food or drink in the car so I just leave it down but the bin might be handy, hhhhmmmmm.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Question Re: found it ... the cup holder fix

Having same problems with cup holder, the Question is there are 2 different ones, 04 and 05 and 06 to 08. Anyone know if theres any difference between the two? Did they try to fix the problem with it? Also has anyone opened up one to see why it not holding the lid down? I'm figuring that there is a metal clip like that needs to be re-adjusted or something.
The price between the 2 are drastically different.
$90 on the 04 and 05 ,
$150 on the 06 to 08.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pinoman
Having same problems with cup holder, the Question is there are 2 different ones, 04 and 05 and 06 to 08. Anyone know if theres any difference between the two? Did they try to fix the problem with it? Also has anyone opened up one to see why it not holding the lid down? I'm figuring that there is a metal clip like that needs to be re-adjusted or something.
The price between the 2 are drastically different.
$90 on the 04 and 05 ,
$150 on the 06 to 08.
I can't imagine anything changed, unless the maker upped the quality.

NEW OEM MOPAR REPLACEMENT CUP HOLDER BIN 2004-08 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE #1BQ12XDVAA

Old 04-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Received 537 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I can't imagine anything changed, unless the maker upped the quality.

NEW OEM MOPAR REPLACEMENT CUP HOLDER BIN 2004-08 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE #1BQ12XDVAA
The difference is the finish, one is a shiny finish and the other is more of a matte finish, I think the '04s are the shiny ones. I sold it and still have the '05 matte one.

They were both a PITA, so I fitted the little cubby.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the info, I probably will replace with new cup holder. I'm just surprised that no one has cut one open to see exactly why its broken. I will probably cut it open with a gringer to see what's up with it. And get back to everyone here that wants the insight on the issue.thanks again rekcah.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:43 AM

PDF for Oem cup holder fix.

Quick Reply: found it ... the cup holder fix