Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Not Cranking, Not Starting

Old 03-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not Cranking, Not Starting

I left the house, went to the bank.. started the car drove to my bank, started the car.. uhm.. started again.. and again.. nothing... not cranking at all!

Luckily I broke down right next to my local mechanic, so I had him come by and take a look a the car. He tested the battery which was at 12.2 not 12.6 but obviously not the problem.. So I went to start the car again nothing.. so he tried to start it and it started right up, then he shut off and restarted a few more times without any problems.

He's admitted to me times before he's never workd on a crossfire before mine, so he couldn't be positive but said the it could be an issue with the starter or possibly a issue with the wiring.. which could make sense as I do have that weird issue with the right speaker going out at totally random times.. which I still haven't gotten around to fixing

Anyways, this hasn't happened again.. yet.. just wondering if anyone has had this problem before, if so what was the issue and what needed to be fixed? I'm probably not going to take it to the shop, but just buy the parts and have the boyfriend and boss work on it, they're my all-star mechanics

Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Not Cranking, Not Starting

your volts may be ok on the battery, but your amps may actually be low. this could be a problem with the starter. or could be cause by a bad/defective battery itself. although if you took it to a mechanic he should have noticed if the amps were low also... if not you can always take it to any autozone they can ell you the cranking amps on teh battery too. this may be the problem and would be disguised and sometimes overlooked if the voltage is ok. just a quick though for you.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Relay Control Module...............

Here's a link to a thread where the same problem was addressed.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=starter+relay

Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Forum Regular

Below are a couple of links to threads about a "mystery no start" problem.

Read the threads as it may be worth looking into after all the typical non-starting causes have been examined and eliminated.

As I understand it, there is a $200 fuel relay circuit board that when it begins to fail will cause the car to intermittantly not start. It gives no warning nor engine codes which makes its diagnosis very difficult if not impossible.

The part is located in a fuse box in the engine compartment and can be easily swapped out without a trip to the dealership.

good luck

Edit....Apkano, I was writing while you were posting

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=mystery+start

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=mystery+start

Old 03-25-2008, 11:04 AM

Damnit i was hoping that I just accidently didn't do something right when starting the car.. ugh..

Guess i left out that part about buying a new battery just to eliminate that as an issue. I had the 4 year old stock battery with a nasty leak that kept causing severe corrosion.. so he cleaned up the corrossion and thru a new battery in.

I will have my "mechanics" look into the Relay Control Module. Is this a dealer only job or could a couple of car savvy guys handle it? If anyone has specific directions on what steps the guys should follow please pass thru.

I thinkit's time for me to get a 2nd car.. i'm going back to toyota.. unfortunatley all of their new cars look like ****..

Old 03-25-2008, 11:10 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had this same issue, and it turned out to be that the battery connectors were not tight enough.

Try that first.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blond xo
Guess i left out that part about buying a new battery just to eliminate that as an issue. I had the 4 year old stock battery with a nasty leak that kept causing severe corrosion.. so he cleaned up the corrossion and thru a new battery in.
Don't consider buying the battery a waste. Sounds like it was time.

Before you look into the relay module, verify that the normal cheap issues aren't the cause.

We just wanted to bring it to your attention in the event that the normal causes all check out alright.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 AM

Had the same problem with my car, when I got to work I went to lock it with the remote and nothing happened. Got in the car to start it and nothing.....tried a couple times then let it sit for a few minutes. Car started on the next try. Thought it might be the batteries in the remote going away, so changed them and haven't had a problem since.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM

I just want to be ready for the next time it happens, if it does..

Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Exclamation Re: Not Cranking, Not Starting

Originally Posted by FP
I had this same issue, and it turned out to be that the battery connectors were not tight enough.

Try that first.
I agree with FP on this one, Always do this First, it happens more often than people realize!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 PM

I had trouble with my car not starting.The dealer found entry module internal defect,no signal seen at pcm.fault code P2071.Skreem entry module and both keys need replacing.I am quoting my servic repair bill. Good luck,hope this helps

Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM

I had this intermittent starting issue. It will come up again and at the worst times, like a beautiful Saturday morning when you want to take a long drive. Go through whatever else you want to check but in the end it will be the relay control module. You may think that you've found another cause but it's unlikely. You can't really check the module because most of the time it's working and it won't show up on the error codes in the computer for the same reason. Please read all the posts on this issue and they will tell you everything you need to know about this issue. You can buy the part and do it yourself or just have the dealer do it. I think mine cost $350 installed. (I knew you had to have an '04 because that's the one that seems to have the problem; I just checked and sure enough you do have an '04.)

Old 03-26-2008, 11:07 AM

blond,

i would really like to hear the outcome of your problem/solution. as I'm sure a bunch of other '04 drivers would. Just curious.

You know what they say, 'curiousity killed the cat, and satisfaction brought him back'

Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Blond XO

I'm glad you brought it up. I was too embarrassed. Happen to my '06 about a week after I bought it. Although I was sure I did nothing wrong and checked everything, my friends and my mechanic both hinted that a lot of old guys can't get it to crank or remember why.
Hasn't happen since but when it does I'll check out some of the components others have suggested here.

roadster with a stick.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 PM
FP

Before you guys spend any money, make sure your battery cables are nice and tight. I'm telling you, my car started fine, and one day it would not; not even with jumper cables. It's when I wiggled the jumper cables that it started, then it started fine several times. Again, the next day it didn't start. At that point I tapped the battery connectors with my pliers, and I noticed my radio and lights went on. That's when I realized the cables were not tight enough. I tighten them and it's been fine ever since. This is about a year ago.

It may be something else, but it doesn't cost anything to tighten the battery bolts.

Last edited by FP; 03-26-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by FP
Before you guys spend any money, make sure your battery cables are nice and tight. I'm telling you, my car started fine, and one day it would not; not even with jumper cables. It's when I wiggled the cable that it started, then it started fine several times. Again, the next day it didn't start. At that point I tapped the battery connectors with my pliers, and I noticed my radio and lights went on. That's when I realized the cables were not tight enough. I tighten them and it's been fine ever since. This is about a year ago.

It may be something else, but it doesn't cost anything to tighten the battery bolts.
FP,
Absolutely, that is JOB # 1!
SF

Old 03-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a new battery in my 04 also and it still would start or not when it wanted. connections were tight and starter was fine. I traded it for the SRT before I could change the relay.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 PM
FP

Originally Posted by crossfirefun
I put a new battery in my 04 also and it still would start or not when it wanted. connections were tight and starter was fine. I traded it for the SRT before I could change the relay.
There you go, that's the answer I like that, get the SRT.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bmi949
I had trouble with my car not starting.The dealer found entry module internal defect,no signal seen at pcm.fault code P2071.Skreem entry module and both keys need replacing.I am quoting my servic repair bill. Good luck,hope this helps
Any updates on yours?

Here's a lot of info on how the entry module works.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...06&postcount=3

Last edited by msheredy; 10-27-2012 at 02:43 PM.