Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Funky smell coming from air vents??!!??

Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Funky smell coming from air vents??!!??

Has anyone experienced a "funky" or foul smelling odor coming from your air vents?? This just started a few weeks ago and it seems to worsen when the A/c is on. This is absolutely driving me nuts! I am a non-smoker and there are no other odors or smells in this car. Still smells brand new! Anyone else had this problem?

~K

04 Coupe Limited
Blaze Red

Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Funky smell coming from air vents??!!??

I've had this problem too. On my last car turning off the recirculate on the AC before switching off the car resolved it. I know recirc defaults to off when starting the car again but this may help.

Let me know.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Forum Regular

I had like a mildew smell a week ago coming out the vents. I drove with the AC on and the windows down for a few and it went away. I think it was something in the vents.

Most of the time the bad smells in my car are usually right after a loud unexplainable noise and my back window fogs up. Then, the smell creeps up on you just like a Ninja, Woe Nelly! It's enough to make an onion cry.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:43 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 472 Likes on 329 Posts

Ya might want to change your "Cabin Air Filter"
Instructions shown here compliments of "Andrew" from another thread.

Once you remove the lower cover/panel under the glove box & passenger foot well area.

this is what you see...
coverattached.jpg

you need to slide back each clip (off white color) to remove filter cover... then pull filter out (it stands up on end).

pic of cover removed:
cover.jpg

pics of filter at 25k (new - old): revised m/b part number
filter.jpg

Old 04-24-2008, 03:54 AM

The AC core in the dash becomes moldy/dirty, and can be cleaned. Same problem with my car, dealer didn't have the ability to clean prior to car being put away for the winter, dealer seemed to be aware of this problem appearing on some of these cars. Having not run the AC yet for the year, I don't know if the smell is gone on its own, if not will require warranty service.

Originally Posted by MAGNATUDE
Has anyone experienced a "funky" or foul smelling odor coming from your air vents?? This just started a few weeks ago and it seems to worsen when the A/c is on. This is absolutely driving me nuts! I am a non-smoker and there are no other odors or smells in this car. Still smells brand new! Anyone else had this problem?

~K

04 Coupe Limited
Blaze Red

Old 04-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Forum Regular

As Valkryderguy suggests.
Clean the cabin filter, or get a new one.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 AM

I had this same problem system was cleaned and flushed out, filter was changed, If i remember correctly smell came back so the evaporator had to be switched out.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Forum Regular

http://www.needswings.com/ProductDet...?productID=580

Hey guys, Rob at Needswings sells these so buy'em from him! Screw the stealerships!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Forum Regular

Does the bad smell comes out ONLY when you start the engine and turn on the A/C? (after parking your car for some time) And the smell will be gone after maybe 5 to 10 minutes. And you don't smell the bad smell again until you parking the car overnight or after at least a couple hours?

If yes, then this maybe a different story, it is NOT the problem with the air filter. changing the filter won't help. I don't know the cause and reason, but I know a stupid way that can solve the problem.

Just shut off the A/C and fan about 5 minutes before switching off the car. (hopefully it is not too hot outside) and you won't get the bad smell again next time when you start the A/C. I don't know why, but it worked on my Ford, and my friend's Lexus.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular

Can spray Lysol in the recirc vents to kill the environmental smell (and give your Crossfire that mountain spring fresh smell or whatever they put on the can) That's all the dealer is going to do and charge you a helluva lot in the process if you're out of warranty. I had to do this last weekend. I did it before replacing the cabin air filter just to be on the safe side and not soak the filter in the process.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:39 PM

I had this same problem with my Crossfire. And yes, the smell would definitely intensify when the A/C was turned on. I first attempted to clean my cabin air filter and I then sprayed it with a product from NAPA Auto Parts to eliminate odors. The smell then went away...for about a week. I then replaced the cabin air filter ($27 at NAPA) and the smell has gone away permanently. I hope that this works for you!

Old 04-26-2008, 02:21 PM

thanks for the info.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Angry Re: Funky smell coming from air vents??!!??

Yep! Fuuuuunky!!!!!!! I have owned three 2004 Crossfire Coupes ... same funkatude in ALL three of them! I also noticed this smell coming from my Jeep Liberty right after I bought it. My friends said that I was the ONLY common denominator!!!! Shhhhhesh ... Then I pointed out that Chrysler and Jeep are one in the same! Anyway. The foul smell happens out of the blue, randomly, and it happens with both A/C and heater. GAG. It DOES smell exactly like a dead, decaying mouse, but I am sure it has to be something else. I will try the cabin filter thing. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cabin air filter is definitely the problem, as mentioned numerous times before. However under certain circumstances the cabin air filter can temporarily get a mildewy smell that is not permanent but merely due to extenuating circumstances. For example in particularly rainy and humid weather (i.e. Virginia summers and springs), if the car has been sitting for a few days outside the filter can get a little moisture in it -- causing the mildew smell. This is not permanent but goes away after driving the car for a bit.

I mention this just so people double check before throwing out a good cabin air filter!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Default Re: Funky smell coming from air vents and in cabin ??!!??

I changed the cabin air filter and still have the same Funky smell coming from air vents and in cabin even after car has been aired out( let car set all day with windows down) maybe need to clean the carpet what do you think?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: Funky smell coming from air vents??!!??

Originally Posted by jackei

Just shut off the A/C and fan about 5 minutes before switching off the car. (hopefully it is not too hot outside) and you won't get the bad smell again next time when you start the A/C. I don't know why, but it worked on my Ford, and my friend's Lexus.
There is one IMPORTANT correction to these steps. You need to turn OFF the AC compressor(middle button), but leave the FAN running until the car is turned off. This will help dry out the evaporator core and prevent mold and mildew from growing. Their waste products is what we smell.

Last edited by VQ35DE; 02-23-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:07 PM
CRM

Easy fix.... When you get home, turn off the engine and then press the "REST" button (lower center on a/c control) The fan will come back on at a low speed and help dry the extra condensation that helps feed the bacterias and molds. After a few minutes the fan will turn off . I did this every evening when I got home during the summer months and I had nothing but roses coming from the vents!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CRM
Easy fix.... When you get home, turn off the engine and then press the "REST" button (lower center on a/c control) The fan will come back on at a low speed and help dry the extra condensation that helps feed the bacterias and molds. After a few minutes the fan will turn off . I did this every evening when I got home during the summer months and I had nothing but roses coming from the vents!

Great idea !

Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info. will try this. Take care will see you around here on the forum.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Funky smell coming from air vents and in cabin ??!!??

Originally Posted by Rokypoky
I changed the cabin air filter and still have the same Funky smell coming from air vents and in cabin even after car has been aired out( let car set all day with windows down) maybe need to clean the carpet what do you think?
Gee man what have you been doing in that thing? Starting to sound pretty questionable