Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Overcoming blindspots??

Old 04-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overcoming blindspots??

Any suggestions re: poor rear view visibility. Parking is a nightmare unless I pull in such that I can head out in forward. Parking at an angle, as at rest stops, is no better. Hey, thanks.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Overcoming blindspots??

Welcome to the forum. Not much you can do to improve visibility with these cars. Unless you do what I did and buy a roadster.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Re: Overcoming blindspots??

Originally Posted by roadtrip
Any suggestions re: poor rear view visibility. Parking is a nightmare unless I pull in such that I can head out in forward. Parking at an angle, as at rest stops, is no better. Hey, thanks.
http://www.multivexmirror.net/Results.asp?category=2

Old 04-28-2008, 06:28 AM
Forum Regular

Practice Pilates until you can rotate you head 360 degrees like an owl.

I have more confidence in backing because I'm used to backing a bus blindly using just the three mirrors. You might work on that. Also you find yourself looking to see what's around your car more to find any problem obstacles before you get in and back it up.

Last edited by chuck65; 04-28-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Forum Regular

One option is to install a new stereo head unit that allows a rearview camera to be hooked up to it. These usually are the more expensive DVD playing headunits. Most are also double din sized which cannot be installed in the Crossfire without reconfiguring the center console. However, JVC does have a single din DVD head unit that has a smallish 3.5" screen and Pioneer and Alpine have single din units that have a hidden LCD screens that pop out.

I have also seen a rearview mirror that has a small video screen that can also be hooked up to a rearview camera. Its big and bulky and would probably look like crap, especially with our small windshields.

Other than the mirrors mentioned in the previous post, thats about it.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Adjusting your side mirrors to cover the blind spots instead of looking down the side of your vehicle is the easiest solution and is how you should have your mirrors set anyway.

I still shoulder check when changing lanes, but I can tell at a glance in my mirrors if something is there.

Also, if you need to see the curb while parallel parking, just aim the side mirror down as far as it will go.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:41 AM

I use the mirrors a lot and back out VERY SLOWLY if needed. Wait untill it's rainy, the windows are fogged and your in a crowded parking lot (better yet a busy school parking lot). I try to park so I can drive straight out.

I did seriously consider the roadster just for that reason. I really want 3 xfires, a coupe for the quiet, a roadster for summer and a SRT for stoplights.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Forum Regular

Welcome to the fourms, Roadtrip. You're right about limited visibilty to the rear, but you'll get use to it and take measures to compensate. You just have to get the most out of your three mirrors and what you can see by turning your head.

Also, if you need to see the curb while parallel parking, just aim the side mirror down as far as it will go.
This quote is good advice. My GMC Envoy does that automatically (set by computer in the car). You put the car in reverse and the words "curbview activated" comes up on the dash. That is real handy to see how far you are from the curb, but how often do we actually parallel park these days. Most all parking is in lots with a drive in and out, or an occasional back out of a space.

I'm more concerned with changing lanes at higher speeds not knowing if someone may be riding in my blind spot. I check the mirrors, give my head a quick turn, and then check the mirror again with a little neck stretching. The key is moving your body and head a little to make sure nothing is in your blind spot. Sitting straight up and relying totally on what you see in your mirrors will work most of the time. Do you feel lucky?

Bob

Old 04-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Adjusting your side mirrors to cover the blind spots instead of looking down the side of your vehicle is the easiest solution and is how you should have your mirrors set anyway.
Yep, me too set the side mirrors to cover as much blind spots as possible.

I set the side mirrors outwards, so that there is no overlapping areas between the windsheld mirror and side mirrors, which means maximizing the area that the mirrors can cover.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jackei
I set the side mirrors outwards, so that there is no overlapping areas between the windsheld mirror and side mirrors, which means maximizing the area that the mirrors can cover.
Bingo.

And as far as parking... the back end of the car is only 3 feet behind you.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:29 PM

Just get some convex mirrors like I did from an auto parts store (they cost under $5)...but get the ones that swivel/rotate/tilt (however you want to call it...as long as it can move). Then just stick it on your side view mirrors. Put it on the outward edge of the mirror for a wider coverage area.
I put mine more toward the inside (closest to me) because I thought it would look more sleek (which it does) and not mess up the look of my new baby. and since it swivels I can still adjust it to cover more area.

I used to be in an SUV with plenty of windows so this is quite different.
Havent figure out the other thousand blind spots yet....all I can say is just be patient. I yell "clear" before backing out

Last edited by P-DuBBs; 04-29-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: to add price
Old 04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

best upgrade for this car

http://www.multivexmirror.net

Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
best upgrade for this car

http://www.multivexmirror.net
Are they easy to install?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by P-DuBBs

Piece of cake. They come with a strong double-sided tape that hold them in place solidly. Some members of the Lotus forum used black silicone, but their OEM mirrors are different. These mirrors really do enhance visibility and are well worth it.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:08 PM

Just how bad is it? The ones I drove definitely had their blindspots but are you really driving THAT blind? I can see where backing out would be a challenge but is it any worse than a minivan? I used to drive a school bus as well so it trained me to use miirrors too but I may have felt more secure than I should've when I did my test drives. How much would you say the Multivex mirrors improve the situation? I didn't check the prices but how much do they run? I have an arthritic neck so this may be a bigger issue than I thought.

I may need to reassess this coupe/roadster thing.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:33 AM
Life is random...so am I.

I always back into parking spaces.......I'd rather back into a space I cannot see very well where nothing is moving than back out in front of someone who's too busy dialing a cell phone.

Other than that.......I follow the Italian rule of driving:

"what's behind you................doesn't matter!"

Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sooner
Just how bad is it? The ones I drove definitely had their blindspots but are you really driving THAT blind? I can see where backing out would be a challenge but is it any worse than a minivan? I used to drive a school bus as well so it trained me to use miirrors too but I may have felt more secure than I should've when I did my test drives. How much would you say the Multivex mirrors improve the situation? I didn't check the prices but how much do they run? I have an arthritic neck so this may be a bigger issue than I thought.
I may need to reassess this coupe/roadster thing.
It’s not good, but not as bad as some. You really do need to adjust your mirrors for the best no overlap view, and double check everything. My ’81 Vette has a worse problem, in that the side mirror(s) are ½ obstructed by the high rear fenders, so their adjustment is even more critical. Out of curiosity, I did install a back-up cam on my Crossfire. It does help one see directly behind, but not reliable for the back sides. I have one on my Tahoe that is also good for things directly behind, but it is really good for backing up to and hitching a trailer. It was worth the $89 at Costco just for the trailer help. I picked up the same cam for the Crossfire at a discount center for $39, so went for it. However, I am not sure having the monitor in the way in a cramped Crossfire is worth the trouble.
I do like the idea of Multivex mirrors. I do wonder about the quality and clarity degrading over time; will they come loose; can they be removed without damaging the original glass/mirror; do they look clunky because of double thickness and tape; and will the heater part of the mirrors work through all of that stuff?
Also, I would think that the Roadster is better with the top down, but probably worse with the top up?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Opticon
Bingo.

And as far as parking... the back end of the car is only 3 feet behind you.
After a life time of driving truck's, pick up's, van's,and backing into tight spots, I cannot judge the distance behind me I am alway's 3 ft from the rear curb, and it looks real dumb What realy scares me is at stop light's and looking in the rear view mirror and seeing how close other cars are to me, they may be 3 feet away but I think they are siting on my rear end

Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by P-DuBBs
I have them on both sides of my '04 coupe and like someone else said, they're the best investment you can make for the car. Installation takes about 10 minutes or less, depending on how adept you are with such things. I did use the black silicon caulk on the passenger side mirror, as that mirror projected outside the mirror shell. The driver's side did not so I havent bothered with the caulk on that side. They really do improve visibility and they are high quality optical glass -- not plastic or polished metal.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I've ordered a set for my car and they are going to ship tomorrow. My first impression after test driving my Crossfire was just how limited the visibility was compared to my Saturn SC2. I'm sure that the Multivex mirrors are going to help.

Quick Reply: Overcoming blindspots??