Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

injectors install?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injectors install?

Hey anyone installed there own injectors and NGK plugs? obviously this isn't a chevy s-10 were working on so if anyone has installed the injectors and plugs themselves, how hard isn't to do? Would a dealer or actual mechanic need to do it? or is this a saturday afternoon with a buddy job?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: injectors install?

Check in the engine section, You might want to post this there to. I think there was a thread on this there.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Forum Regular

I know at least one of the plugs is a real PITA!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a good DIY thread on plug installation over at MBWorld that has been linked to before. I'd give credit to who pointed me to this thread originally, but I didn't save that, I only saved the link.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=216940

The linked thread is for a C Class, but it is pretty close to what you'll have to do for a Crossfire.

Injectors - I don't have any saved DIY's for that.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Instructions will be emailed to you for the injectors. It is very straight forward.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Forum Regular

Any special tools required for the injector install?
Approx. how long to accomplish it?
Thanks.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 PM
TVT_DESIGN

You will need a 10mm socket and an 11/16 wrench for the fuel line. The hardest part is taking off the plastic cover around the wire looms.
Here's a small write up:

Remove engine cover and make sure engine is cool. For best results, loosen gas cap and let car sit to allow fuel pressure to lower. Do not leave cap off if it will rain.
Remove black plastic cover on top of wire loom by undoing clips along lower edge. You will also need to remove hlding ring near fuel inlet with a screw driver.
Once removed, locate the four bolts holding the fuel rail to the upper part of the manifold. Undo all four screws. Locate fuel inlet part. Make sure you have a rag down and slowly loosen trying to absorb leaking fuel when possible. Once disconnected the fuel rail is ready to be taken out.
You have two options here: the first is to remove the injector clips while the fuel rail is in the car, the second is to try and wiggle the rail higher and remove above the car. I find it easier while the rail is in the car. Remove clips with screw driver and disconnect injector plugs.
Once all connections are free you can lift up, slide back, and then maneuver fuel rail out. Try not to get any debris in the open holes.
Lay rail upside down on table and remove old injectors. Replace new injectors in hole. You may or may not use the injector clips it will work either way. Locate spacers that came in kit. Replace rail using reverse method from taking out. Place spacers on the four mounting areas. Use included bolts to bolt the rail down. The new injectors are about a 1/4" taller then the stock ones and will seat perfectly with the included spacers.
Once the rail is back in and reconnected, replace all plugs and wire loom. Make sure all connections are tight and turn your key to the on position to allow pressure in the rail. Check for any leaks, if none observed you may start your car. Car will be a little rough to start for the first time due to no fuel in the rail. The car will adapt to the new flow and run fine. If you have the tuned ECU you will notice a very nice increase in power. If you are upgrading with the stock ECU, you may not notice much.

Hope that helps!

Anthony
TVT Design

Old 04-30-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
You will need a 10mm socket and an 11/16 wrench for the fuel line. The hardest part is taking off the plastic cover around the wire looms.
Here's a small write up:

Remove engine cover and make sure engine is cool. For best results, loosen gas cap and let car sit to allow fuel pressure to lower. Do not leave cap off if it will rain.
Remove black plastic cover on top of wire loom by undoing clips along lower edge. You will also need to remove hlding ring near fuel inlet with a screw driver.
Once removed, locate the four bolts holding the fuel rail to the upper part of the manifold. Undo all four screws. Locate fuel inlet part. Make sure you have a rag down and slowly loosen trying to absorb leaking fuel when possible. Once disconnected the fuel rail is ready to be taken out.
You have two options here: the first is to remove the injector clips while the fuel rail is in the car, the second is to try and wiggle the rail higher and remove above the car. I find it easier while the rail is in the car. Remove clips with screw driver and disconnect injector plugs.
Once all connections are free you can lift up, slide back, and then maneuver fuel rail out. Try not to get any debris in the open holes.
Lay rail upside down on table and remove old injectors. Replace new injectors in hole. You may or may not use the injector clips it will work either way. Locate spacers that came in kit. Replace rail using reverse method from taking out. Place spacers on the four mounting areas. Use included bolts to bolt the rail down. The new injectors are about a 1/4" taller then the stock ones and will seat perfectly with the included spacers.
Once the rail is back in and reconnected, replace all plugs and wire loom. Make sure all connections are tight and turn your key to the on position to allow pressure in the rail. Check for any leaks, if none observed you may start your car. Car will be a little rough to start for the first time due to no fuel in the rail. The car will adapt to the new flow and run fine. If you have the tuned ECU you will notice a very nice increase in power. If you are upgrading with the stock ECU, you may not notice much.

Hope that helps!

Anthony
TVT Design
Hi Anthony...I saw your list of performance enhancements and considered trying the injectors and plugs myself. What would a set of each likely cost? Doing these injectors sound pretty straight forward; curious what your thoughts are on changing out plugs?

Old 05-01-2008, 04:15 AM
TVT_DESIGN

I personally think the plugs should've been changed at the factory. The NGK offer a much better idle and smoother driving feel.

The passenger's side is simple to install, but two of the driver's side are a pain. It can be done but you need small hands or some creativity.

Cost for both is $540.00 shipped.

Anthony

Old 05-01-2008, 04:39 AM
Forum Regular

So while the plugs are out would you recomend putting new plug wires on?

Old 05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
TVT_DESIGN

I would deffinately recommend changing the wires as well. We offer Magnecor Wires in 8.5mm diameter, stock is 7mm. They fit the plugs better and often better spark transfer due to their size. They are also red.

Price for 12 wires and 12 plugs shipped is 300.00.

Anthony

Old 05-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Forum Regular

i started to pull boots and then stopped because i only got one off, lol, they are a bit@#, i have yet to install my new ngk's think i might let my dealership deal with it. If just getting all the boots off is this hard i can't imagine getting a socket on all those plugs.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:30 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so i started tryin to install them on my own with no instruction.. long stoy short.. i now have fuel all over my engine.. what do i do? am i in trouble here? please helop me out!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:47 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Why didn't you call me? I sent you my cell number.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Forum Regular

come on guys, it can't be that hard.

(thinks to self hopefully don't run into needing forum help on this one day )

Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

yea i forgot you sent your cell.. anyways.. i got them in. im worried about the gas sitting on my engine.. am i ok? or do i need to do something here?

Old 06-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean up any excess with towels etc. Let the rest air dry and evaporate till there is no visible wetness. From there you should be o.k.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

yea thats exactly what i did.. no engine fire yet! (knock on wood!) lol. thanks.