Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

just got my insurance cost in the mail... OMG

Old 05-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my insurance cost in the mail... OMG

It is 1200 every six months. I was reading up here and I thought people my age (19) got a little better deals. I read that it isn't considered a sports car and that it won't cost much more than my ford ranger to insure (its like 120 a month)

I have a perfect record.. just time isn't on my side, I have state farm... my dad has been with them for like 30 years... should I consider a different company? Or should I just except the 200/month price?

Old 05-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Default Re: just got my insurance cost in the mail... OMG

When i first got my car i was also 19 and I've been quoted anywhere from $280-900/month. Which i found was absolutely ridiculous so if i were you i would talk to your agent and see if they can negociate. Sometimes they pull favors and can get you a lower rate. Just keep shopping around you will find something better. Im currently paying $230/month although I have a speeding ticket and an accident on my record.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 AM

No way. Try out different companies. I'm in Florida and only paying $100/month. Try setting your deductibles higher, and maybe a good student discount.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:34 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Try having your dad as the primary driver on the Crossfire, and you can be the primary driver on the cheapest car to insure in the family. You'll be insure on any of the family cars, but this is one way to lower your cost.

There is a benefit in getting older. I only pay about $220 every 6 months.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Oh wow! Totally forgot about that. I'm the primary of my moms civic and shes the primary "pleasure only" driver on the Daimler. Ha! Too bad she doesn't know how to drive stick!

On a tangent, the classic car insurance for my bimmer is only $140 per year, full coverage!

Last edited by bobontap; 05-17-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by FP
Try having your dad as the primary driver on the Crossfire, and you can be the primary driver on the cheapest car to insure in the family. You'll be insure on any of the family cars, but this is one way to lower your cost.

There is a benefit in getting older. I only pay about $220 every 6 months.
This is exactly correct. Assuming you are still on your parent's insurance, the insurance company should assign all of you to vehicles according to what makes it cheapest for you. In our family we have four cars and four drivers. Not one of us is assigned to the car we actually drive, but our insurance is dirt cheap. And that includes a 19- and 17-year-old on the policy.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Arc

I just got my 05 coupe 3 weeks ago and I am 20, and have one speeding ticket from my first car wich was a Ford F-150. I am also with sate farm and my insurance only went up $11 a month from the Truck To the Crossfire

Old 05-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Forum Regular
Cool Re: just got my insurance cost in the mail... OMG

Thats outrageous! Take a defensive drivers course and you can probably save 10% off your premium! Also shop around I own 4 cars (2 srt6's, a jeep, and a minivan) and my premium is 1800 every 6 monts! I'm sure you can get a better deal than 1200 for 1 car! I have USAA. If your a vet you can get that also! Good luck and let us know what happens!

Old 05-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antonio311
Thats outrageous! Take a defensive drivers course and you can probably save 10% off your premium! Also shop around I own 4 cars (2 srt6's, a jeep, and a minivan) and my premium is 1800 every 6 monts! I'm sure you can get a better deal than 1200 for 1 car! I have USAA. If your a vet you can get that also! Good luck and let us know what happens!
Look around. SRT6, SRT8, Ram 4x Quad, and a 32 ft trailer is less than 1600/yr

Old 05-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm paying $115 a month for both my Crossfire and Silverado and I’m insured one all the other family autos (total of 6 vehicles)... and I have two tickets (4points). But if you insure with a different company than your parents expect at least twice as much as that!

Oh, and I have USAA and they’re ok.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Fire
Oh, and I have USAA and they’re ok.
No, USAA rocks! They are non-profit so at the end of the year, we get a rebate of about $50-60 and pay about $1,100/year for 3 vehicles.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Forum Regular

I pay $1,160 a year for my SRT-6. I'm with Geico, but I have a perfect record and am older than 19 (but not that much older).

Old 05-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeremy
It is 1200 every six months. I was reading up here and I thought people my age (19) got a little better deals. I read that it isn't considered a sports car and that it won't cost much more than my ford ranger to insure (its like 120 a month)

I have a perfect record.. just time isn't on my side, I have state farm... my dad has been with them for like 30 years... should I consider a different company? Or should I just except the 200/month price?
dude,thats pretty steep,but your 19 you will wreck your first car,thats life! i wrecked my first few,even a vet like silverfox can have a mishap so look at it as a right of passage. you can check online at all the major companies quotes,ive got aig and i pay 1200 for 6 mo for a srt and a pacifica with a bad driving wife to boot!

Last edited by nascarhq; 05-17-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iuhoosiers
This is exactly correct. Assuming you are still on your parent's insurance, the insurance company should assign all of you to vehicles according to what makes it cheapest for you. In our family we have four cars and four drivers. Not one of us is assigned to the car we actually drive, but our insurance is dirt cheap. And that includes a 19- and 17-year-old on the policy.
in my experience, the highest rated driver was assigned to the highest rated vehicle, every time, no way around it.

you guys are throwing numbers around but you are forgetting the important thing...they are also using a credit score to compute the rate. no credit, bad credit, the rate goes up. do i agree with it? no, but that's the way it is.

so there's the dilemma...do we put the kid on mom and dad's policy, when the kid is going to be rated on dad's Vette or mom's Escalade, or do we put him on his own policy, where his lack of credit history will contribute to the high rate.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. F
in my experience, the highest rated driver was assigned to the highest rated vehicle, every time, no way around it.

you guys are throwing numbers around but you are forgetting the important thing...they are also using a credit score to compute the rate. no credit, bad credit, the rate goes up. do i agree with it? no, but that's the way it is.

so there's the dilemma...do we put the kid on mom and dad's policy, when the kid is going to be rated on dad's Vette or mom's Escalade, or do we put him on his own policy, where his lack of credit history will contribute to the high rate.
I can't see any way his insurance would be better on his own, so I'm voting for mom and dad's policy. My daughter has two wrecks and one ticket and her insurance would double if she went out on her own. But, like I said, ours is seriously dirt cheap. My company went out of their way to get us a great rate. I couldn't be more pleased.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its almost impossible to tell from the little info we have here. If you are on your parents policy, I would look at what vehicle you are rated on. We have the ability to move people around in my state to get you the cheapest rate, may not be the case in yours. If you have the same number of operators as vehicles and all the vehicles are newer and have Comp and Collision its gonna be tough getting a low rate. I have seen a few cases where a kid has actually gotten a cheaper rate when moved from a parents policy but its rare.
we were just talking about this scenario last weekend weren't we Mr.F
Pat

Old 05-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

The OMG thing is a ying and a yang feature that comes on the Crossfire.
You can accept it or drive a plain car.

Ying = Stomp on the gas = OMG
Yang = Any expense related to keeping the car = OMG

Think of it as like keeping a really hot woman. Expensive but worth every dime.

roadster with a stick

Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Isn't saying that I am not the main driver of a vehicle illegal? Like we would have to lie and tell the insurance company that I drive very little and my dad is the main owner?

Wouldn't they get suspicious if we called them up and said "oh yeah.. I meant that my son was the secondary driver.. I am the main driver"

Old 05-17-2008, 08:47 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't saying that I am not the main driver of a vehicle illegal? Like we would have to lie and tell the insurance company that I drive very little and my dad is the main owner?

Wouldn't they get suspicious if we called them up and said "oh yeah.. I meant that my son was the secondary driver.. I am the main driver"
Nothing illegal about it. Anyone in the household can drive any car in the household, but everyone is attached to a car. It's common practice to do this. I learned this from my State Farm Agent.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:31 PM

like i said in some thread before, im 17 (16 when i insured my car) my XF is my first car and i do have good student stuff ect, it costs 240/month hopefuly it will go down after a year of driving

Quick Reply: just got my insurance cost in the mail... OMG