Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

The Best Way To Make My Crossfire Faster

Old 06-04-2008, 02:30 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Best Way To Make My Crossfire Faster

ouch.. now that was a low blow! just so you know, mechanical skills dont make the prices drop chuckie! i do all of my own installs and it would still have been cheaper to have put 5k$ into an srt than now almost 7k$ into my limited which still doesnt have as much power.. and its going to take another 2-3K$ to get it there. its simple math.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyprLtH20
ouch.. now that was a low blow! just so you know, mechanical skills dont make the prices drop chuckie! i do all of my own installs and it would still have been cheaper to have put 5k$ into an srt than now almost 7k$ into my limited which still doesnt have as much power.. and its going to take another 2-3K$ to get it there. its simple math.
I don't see how it's a low blow... The markup on aftermarket parts is often spectacular, if you ignore the R&D (which is another way of saying you're paying mostly for R&D when you buy a part). If you take out the R&D for fitment, fabricating an intake would cost anywhere from $10-50, which is a far cry from what they sell for.

He's not talking about just installing your own parts, he's talking about making them. I've seen people put together homemade remote mount turbo setups for <$1k, and if the xF has space for it, it could be a very cheap 80-100 hp add-on.

With all that said, I'll still buy from an aftermarket shop before trying my own mods. I'm better at breaking stuff than building it.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Forum Regular

The non-SRT Crossfire is not a slow car. 6.5s to 60 and a 155 mph top end are nothing to sneeze at. Whenever I want my Limited to go faster, I just depress my right foot.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:35 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

fabricating your own parts takes alot of time.. no doubt it is cheaper.. but time is something that i do not have much of.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HyprLtH20
fabricating your own parts takes alot of time.. no doubt it is cheaper.. but time is something that i do not have much of.
I wasn't implying that anyone on the forum lacks mechanical skills. If I remember correctly, which I rarely do, no one on the forum has posted the actual cost of boosting a NA yet. There has been a lot of theoretical #'s but nothing solid because no one has successfully done it yet and if they have I can't find the post.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:03 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

you are correct. no one has successfully boosted an n/a yet.. many have tryed.. all have failed due to problems with the ecu as far as i am aware.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
I wasn't implying that anyone on the forum lacks mechanical skills. If I remember correctly, which I rarely do, no one on the forum has posted the actual cost of boosting a NA yet. There has been a lot of theoretical #'s but nothing solid because no one has successfully done it yet and if they have I can't find the post.
+1
Soooooo true.

Seen so many posts about turbos, srt conversions and bolting on sc's but as we have all seen these threads die quickly.

Problems are that these mods are very exspensive and require a bit more than a socket set and a haynes manual.
that said we have seen very recently that the na crossfire can be made more powerfull thanks to a few hard working companies ie: tvt, needswings, lett, etc.
thanks to these people we can give our brains a rest a little as they do all the hard work in R&D and we get faster more powerfull cars.

Steve

Old 06-04-2008, 05:35 PM

I think Pawntec is gone, so taking this thread any further is a waste.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by radmanly
The non-SRT Crossfire is not a slow car. 6.5s to 60 and a 155 mph top end are nothing to sneeze at. Whenever I want my Limited to go faster, I just depress my right foot.
Thank You. My thoughts exactly. Quarter mile 14.78 seconds does it for me

Old 06-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Forum Regular

Are you guys trying to tell me I shouldn't post a DIY supercharger thread? LOL

Old 06-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
Are you guys trying to tell me I shouldn't post a DIY supercharger thread? LOL
Not at all but isnt the problem in our na internals and high compression tolerances (excuse spelling).

Can the na crossfire handle a super charger?? i thought not.
I thought that the only real way for the na to bet real boost effects was to squirt the NOS in.

Oh yes and a couple of ebay electric turbos lol

Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 PM

lower the compression with pistons?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by stevieb
Not at all but isnt the problem in our na internals and high compression tolerances (excuse spelling).

Can the na crossfire handle a super charger?? i thought not.
I thought that the only real way for the na to bet real boost effects was to squirt the NOS in.

Oh yes and a couple of ebay electric turbos lol
Even with the 10.0:1 compression ratio, the engine internals should still be able to handle 5-7 psi of boost without modifying internals. An F/I project will get much, much more expensive if you're changing the pistons and rotating assembly.

Would anyone happen to remember exactly what kind of ECU problems earlier attempts ran into?

Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Forum Regular

I can't contribute anything useful..... But if I want my Crossfire to go faster, I politely ask my GF to get out. That is the only MOD I feel comfortable doing..

Old 06-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by rodimus
I can't contribute anything useful..... But if I want my Crossfire to go faster, I politely ask my GF to get out. That is the only MOD I feel comfortable doing..

That sounds like you're playing with fire there... I'd rather risk stripping every bolt in my car before facing the wrath of asking that question!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:41 PM

yeah i'm willing to dump the cash into this baby. i have seen a corvette that has a turbo placed in the back near the rear axle. i'd loved to find a kit like that. hell i don't mind getting the motor rebuilt to handle the new ponnies. the way i think of it if you want to play with the big dogs you'll have to pay right? lol so yeah money isn't a factor just which route would be best for the chassis. Maybe even do an amg v8 swap would be sweet but I was wondering what motor would even fit underneath the hood of my 2004 crossfire. heck why is the damn ecu so hard to work with? i keep hearing that the ecu for the xfire is such a pain. what happens with the xfires that have tried a turbo system? might as well go with a complete engine management system by then right? it's funny that everyone thought i was asking whats the cheapest way to make my xfire go faster! lol i said best way not cheapest way gz lol

Last edited by pawntec; 06-05-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 PM

If money is no object, install a jet engine.

Or two!

To be serious, if money is no object, the sky is the limit. I really doubt you'll get much helpful input here, as most of us do not have unlimited funds like you do. No matter what you chose, please keep us posted.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:11 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Just send us a blank check and you'll can as fast as your heart desires...

Old 06-05-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
Just send us a blank check and you'll can as fast as your heart desires...

I think what TVT is trying to say is that there is no single answer to your question. You can make the car break the speed of sound for enough money. I was at an air-show last month and saw a jet-powered firetruck that ran 400 MPH. I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but it sure was neat!

Last edited by ntrikit; 06-05-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodimus
Good call!

Quick Reply: The Best Way To Make My Crossfire Faster