Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

getting the headliner out the car?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default getting the headliner out the car?

Hey all, my headliner is sinking so wanna take it out and put in another one, anyone know how to take it out of the car? i loosened it already.

i tried thru the door in all angles, but it doesn't want to come out.

anyone got any ideas. i'm following the service manual, but no luck.

thanks

Last edited by racermp; 08-15-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Default Re: getting the headliner out the car?

anyone attepted this?

thanks for any info.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe through the rear hatch? I'm sure at the factory it was put in through the windshield opening before the glass was put in. You might need to bend it a little, that shouldn't be a problem because the material is pretty flexible.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbengt67
Maybe through the rear hatch? I'm sure at the factory it was put in through the windshield opening before the glass was put in. You might need to bend it a little, that shouldn't be a problem because the material is pretty flexible.
Open the passenger side door, roll down the window, drop the headliner, move the seats all the way to the front and lower the backrests all the way. Take the headliner, move it to the back of the hatch as far as possible, when you begin to bring it back out, twist it toward you while you pull it out but don't turn it more than 5-10 inches, as you get the front portion out, straighten it out and actually pull it out through the space between the dash and the A-pillar, you will have to bend it slightly being very careful to not bend the tabs in the back or you will be in trouble later puttign it back in. Lots of patience is needed and take your time. It will take 15 minutes to do it right after you drop the headliner and 2 minutes if you do it wrong and break it at which point, it folds quite nicely in half and will come out of any of the three openings.

Best of luck to ya. They do put them in through the windshield from factory. Stealerships say they replace the whole thing but from what I've been able to garner talking with the one tech i know, they just wrap the interior in plastic, tear off the old cover part, clean it up so the adhesive will stick and then put the "new headliner" (material) in and the clean everything up. the only place it's folded is along the rear quarter windows. It be something to find out if that's how they do it as you could remove the dome light and see how closely cut the fabric is to the rest of the headliner if you had one replaced under warranty. Now I would have to say that if you paid for one out of warrany and it cost you over $300, you better damn well have a whole new headliner. YMMV

Old 08-16-2008, 12:44 PM

haha thats a really nice write up. thanks alot man, i did it very similarly to that. i read the manual and did it acording to that but u have to jigle with it and force it out some times. but i got a good used one back in too today and it looks alot better.

anyone need the older material before i trash it???? hahah

Old 08-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racermp
haha thats a really nice write up. thanks alot man, i did it very similarly to that. i read the manual and did it acording to that but u have to jigle with it and force it out some times. but i got a good used one back in too today and it looks alot better.

anyone need the older material before i trash it???? hahah
DO NOT TRASH IT I NEED IT SEND IT MY WAY AND TELL ME WHAT IT WILL COST LOL PLEASE DO NOT THROW IT

Old 08-16-2008, 02:02 PM

lol ok, pm me, we'll work something, lemme know if u want the board too

Old 08-17-2008, 05:17 AM

I need to replace my headliner also. Please detail the steps to get it down. I know how to remove the A pillar trim and interior light but how do you remove the liner from the roof of the car and the from the trim at hatch location?

Old 08-17-2008, 06:50 AM

he yea, all u do uis at the top of both c piller covers inside, pull it down, you don't need to take it out, just a lil space. in there u'll see one black clip (same as the one on the side carpet), take that off. and the liner is free the rest is just the front light, and visors and a pillars and weather strip.

then to take it out the car, u don't need to turn the liner, it will come out in the same direction as the roof thru the passanger door. just force it and keep moving i different angles. lemme know if u need any other help

Old 08-17-2008, 07:08 AM

Great news, I thought you had to remove all the interior plastic trim around the hatch areato get it down. So just pull the plastic trim down where the headliner and the plastic meet and I'll see a black plastic clip, thats it?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:15 AM

yup youll see it holding it, no need to take off those huge pieces, just open enough to put your hand in. u use a flat screw driver or pry bar or something to take the center of the clip off first, then the outer piece. check the ones on the side carpet if u wanna see how the clips work

to clip those pieces (c-pillars) back in, put them toward the side of the car first, then up.the clips will break if u try going stright up. dont' ask how i know. lol

Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 AM

When you refer to the side carpet clips is that the plastic ones in the hatch area? You have to remove the center piece first then remove the second piece?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by tlppsp
When you refer to the side carpet clips is that the plastic ones in the hatch area? You have to remove the center piece first then remove the second piece?

hey yea,u don't have to take out the ones in the hatch area, just an example of what the round black clip looks like inside the top of the C pillar holding the headliner.

what center piece?

u don't remove the c-pillars, u just pull them down a lil so u can pull out the clip on each side holding the headliner.

Last edited by racermp; 08-17-2008 at 11:10 AM.