Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

things to know about a crossfire!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation things to know about a crossfire!!!

hello everybody, I am in the process of buying a 04 black coupe. For now I have three questions. The ignition switch (where the keys goes), is super sloppy, actually annoying to be honest. Do any of you guys know how, and how much it is going to cost to fix. I would have it probably done at the local dealership, but want to bring it up to the owner. second, I had never even been in a crossfire until yesterday, when I drove it. The owner suggested that I not use the manual part of the auto transmission. I don't even know how to turn it on, or engage it. third, is stero related. Is easy to add a sub, or two? If I get an aftermarket head unit will it still work all of the speakers? and what works the best in these cars, 10's or 12's? ok one more headlights, what kind of hid bulbs fit a 04 crossfire? and are the foglights capable of using a hid system. I'll stop for now, I don't even have the car yet. Thanks, chris

Old 09-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: things to know about a crossfire!!!

Originally Posted by 07bluezx14
hello everybody, I am in the process of buying a 04 black coupe. For now I have three questions. The ignition switch (where the keys goes), is super sloppy, actually annoying to be honest. Do any of you guys know how, and how much it is going to cost to fix. I would have it probably done at the local dealership, but want to bring it up to the owner. second, I had never even been in a crossfire until yesterday, when I drove it. The owner suggested that I not use the manual part of the auto transmission. I don't even know how to turn it on, or engage it. third, is stero related. Is easy to add a sub, or two? If I get an aftermarket head unit will it still work all of the speakers? and what works the best in these cars, 10's or 12's? ok one more headlights, what kind of hid bulbs fit a 04 crossfire? and are the foglights capable of using a hid system. I'll stop for now, I don't even have the car yet. Thanks, chris
I don't know what " in the process of buying" means, but why would you still be interested in this car with the problems and warning from the owner. There's more than one Crossfire around. Check out the Chrysler dealers near you and use the internet to find a certified Crossfire with extended warranty. I'd pass on the one your looking at. If you still insist on this one, take it to a quality independent mechanic and have the sale contingent on his opinion and estimates to repair. The autostick is one of the best features of the Crossfire and it should be usable, ask the owner to explain his statement.

Good Luck, let us know what you find out.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular

I have put down a check for the down payment. I was taken in by the car. So I kinda need to know what to check on a 04 with 51000 miles on it. If there is a problem with the transmission, I would assume I could get out of the deal. the check is on hold until sat. I just need to go in prepared, I'm used to ford stuff. (97 cobra totaled by a drunk driver)

Old 09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Can I ask what you're paying for the XF? There's a great SRT6 for sale here on the forum for $16.5K with only 22K miles.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...511#post286511

Last edited by FP; 09-23-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Forum Regular

I settled for 14000

Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Forum Regular

that was the most we could spend.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:58 PM
FP

I hate to discourage you but I know you can do better for an 04 with that mileage.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 480 Likes on 333 Posts

I hope your not spending $14000 on a 04 with 51000 miles on it !!!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Forum Regular

not really 10,500 out of pocket. with new aftermarket wheels and tires.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:03 PM
FP

Here another very nice one on the forum for $12.5K

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...855#post281855

Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Forum Regular

I already signed a purchase agreement,

Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
FP

OK, I wish you the best of luck, and congrats.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Forum Regular

I still need to know about the ignition switch. I would expect a consistant operation of the mechanism. this one has to be in a certain spot, which seems to be totally random, almost by chance. right now I have some leverage to get things fixed. I guess I need to turn off the traction control, and let her rip in manual mode, before I hand over the remaining money. I wish I would have checked here first, but I had my car totaled last saturday, And have been looking at cars ever since. Nothing around town. Then I saw this black crossfire, with blacked out windows, really brand new wheels and tires, and went for it. You know what they say about hind sight.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Forum Regular

thanks though.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
FP

Make the repair of the ignition switch part of the deal. What's the deal about the trans? This car has a very good tranny, and you should be able to use the stick feature. I use it all the time.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 PM

My ignition sometimes does that too... I'm not sure why, but I haven't researched it much.

The key almost needs to be in an exact spot 1 of every 200 starts.

Definitely make them fix it before you buy it, and see if you can get something else thrown in... because I just got my 05 black manual for 11K with 36,000 miles (And have seen people getting even better deals than that)

Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 PM

You can get a new 2008 Limited Coupe stick for around $23,000. We paid $22,290 for ours and someone posted their local dealer had several new ones for $22,900. It has a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain.

The 51000 miles isn't a deterrent--unless it has been abused. Be cautious! I'd stop payment on the check and would hope the seller would not seek legal action before I would be bullied into doing something I don't feel good about. The Crossfire is a good car to look at and drive but with lingering doubts you will never enjoy it as much as you should.

Jim

Old 09-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Forum Regular

ive had the ignition problem. i think its caused by forcing the key to turn over while the steering wheel is locked. since ive replaced mine ive noticed somtimes it seems to be binding. all i do is rock the wheel a little and then the key turns right over. havent heard anything wrong with the auto trans?? and as far as after market stereo goes its the same as any other car. and plenty of people on the forum have aftermarket headunits and subs just check around!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bluezx14

The car headlights use H7 bulbs. I don't think it's necessary to put in another sub... when I was 16 that's all I wanted.. a loud sub in the trunk of my car. I put a 12" in there and took it out after 3 days. With no trunk seperator I swear to god I lost half my hearing in just 3 days. It was ridiculous. I do not recommend it..

Aftermarket headunits work fine, also.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 AM
Forum Regular

Ask the seller to explain the statements they made about the transmission. The key switch should be fixed or allowed for in the price. Also the car is open in the back, putting an amp and big speakers I think would be wasting money. During a test drive of the car you should be able to test all features of the car, If that is discouraged the walk away.

Quick Reply: things to know about a crossfire!!!