Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

DWW...Driving Without Wing

Old 10-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DWW...Driving Without Wing

Originally Posted by LNRDR
I don't think I would write the letter, could save you another ticket if you don't.
I agree, what was I thinking? Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g-luv
What, you've got to get better at talking to these guys. The first 11 times I was pulled over (not alwasy for speeding) I received no citations. I've still never received a speeding ticket but I do have 2 improper lane travel tickets from many years ago.

If you can't hear it from where you are, I am knocking on some wood.
I was young and dumb... I've just been able to avoid them all together since then.... and yes i am still knocking on wood...

although my buddy's step dad was the chief of police so I knew if i ever did get pulled over I would probably make it out alive...

Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Forum Regular

How weird Mike! That's one for your grandkids ::grin::

Old 10-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Forum Regular

Imagine reading the owners manual and then hassling somebody because they go by with their spoiler stowed. Rather amusing that he felt the need to display his new-found wisdom, albeit at your expense...

Last edited by ppro; 10-07-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice one Mike. See, you do have some good luck: no ticket for you.

I just got a ticket from one of Ohio's finest. But that must have been because I wasn't in my Crossfire, and the cop didn't have anything else to talk about!!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 PM

I'm fairly new to the xfire so please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there any reason you would want to drive without it deployed? I personally think the car looks better with it up.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 PM
She can ride with me ;)

I believe the reason Mike does this is because where he lives there are a lot of areas that the speed limit hovers around the area that the wing deploys and shuts down. He was tired of the wing going up and down all the time, so he put in a switch to turn it off.

Other than that, there really isn't any reason to turn it off. A lot of people like to keep it deployed all of the time. It is safer to have it up at speed.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmacevo
I'm fairly new to the xfire so please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there any reason you would want to drive without it deployed? I personally think the car looks better with it up.
I like the way it looks both ways. But I found that nearly everytime I was on the highway and the wing would go up when it was supposed to, it seemed like some tuner car would come out of no where and "dog" me for a couple miles. At least until he got tired of being ignored by me. It was like the wing going up was interpreted as some sort of challenge by every "boy" racer out there.
I found myself cruisin down the road at 64 mph, just to keep the wing from going up. That's when I decided to do something about it and installed a "kill" awitch to deactivate it, and keep it down until "I" chose the time and place to raise it.
Tarmacevo, just going by your screen name, I assume you have a soft spot in your heart for wings.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM
She can ride with me ;)

I stand corrected!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tom You were partially right, I didn't like driving around with the wing up all the time, but that was the only way I could keep it from going up and down all the time too. You were dead on about traveling around the Akron area.
But I personally don't feel the wing really comes into play that much until you reach Autobahn speeds, or why else would the warning not sound sooner than 90 mph?
I think it was more of a "publicity gimmick" to make it activate at around 65 mph, because that's the only way most American motorists would ever get a chance to see it, since that is still our national speed limit in most states.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 PM

lol you are dead on with the wing fetish i suppose. Loved/miss my evo :]

Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Forum Regular

Ya know Mike... Stories like this give OHIO Cops a bad name. We both know that the police officer wished that his girly friend had purchased an Alabaster Crossfire Coupe for obvious reasons. But when you install an AMX HOOD SCOOP people just have to pull you over and get a closer look. Glad he read the manual and understood it. "To serve and protect".
Oh.... you have 72 hours to get that front plate put on BUDDY!

Last edited by Fritzauf; 10-08-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good story. It reminds me of when I out smarted a cop one time. And, I had an open beer can between my legs (no cup holder). I was on my way home from taking my last exam in college and in Texas you could still drink & drive thanks to LBJ.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Forum Regular

This handy item should sell well in OHIO.
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...a2cf638863eab0

Old 10-09-2008, 02:30 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
This handy item should sell well in OHIO.
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...a2cf638863eab0
Pretty cool. It would be nice if it activated automatically when exposed to radar or a siren as well as by key fob.

Do they have one that automatically retracts the plate on the rear when you run a red light camera that also detects speed? That would be more useful. Maybe we should come up with one.

Sure fired way to save $179. Just put up with the plate on the front, I do.

What would be the fine for no plate on the front in Ohio. Divide that amount into $179. I don't know anyone who got even a warning. I don't think they enforce the law on the front plate. Do you?

Note to all police officers reading this post. I have my plate on the front, it's all the other guy's you need to go after. I tried to tell them but they wouldn't listen.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:18 AM

Been driving mine for 3 months in NY without a front plate. Dealer wanted to drill holes in the front bumper and I wouldn't let him. He promised to order a bracket but obviously never did. The front plate is stashed behind the passenger seat until I'm forced to do something.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Forum Regular

You live a charmed life! Me - I would have gotten the speeding ticket, 1 for not having the spoiler deployed and then another for the front plate. and probly would have thrown in reskless driving in just to build the tab!

enjoy the day!

Old 10-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chuck65
What would be the fine for no plate on the front in Ohio.
it's not so much the fine, but OHP uses no front plate as an excuse to pull someone over to check for DUI and other offenses.

yeah, i know, if you're not drinking you don't have anything to worry about...but like i want to be bothered with that crap any time. let 'em collect their revenue from some other schlump.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 AM

He may have been a dik, but it's not every day you meet a nice cop just to chat with you like that and not give you a citation! Great story and thanks for entertaining us! LOL!

Old 10-10-2008, 03:49 AM
Forum Regular

Rather interesting and humurous story. Never heard that one before! Cop must have been bored. Or like one of the other posters said, he was annoyed that you didn't bow down to his excellence by going 70!

Quick Reply: DWW...Driving Without Wing